Eating Our Friends RG talked about this...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Time Lord, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Eating Our Friends!" :p:eek::D

I had this post in Dev+ section, but I want to everyone to have a chance to chime in.
    We all know from LB's MH interview, that there's some discussion about eating each other, Cannibalism.
    You are what you eat, so I'll throw in the rest of the post below. But having something special to eat becomes a very interesting subject when we hear things from our SotA development team come up on the need to eat. We do need to eat for many reasons which I won't get into here, but lets talk about the reasons we need to eat our friends :)...
    OK, we've all heard about the castle sieges that have been whispering around the PvP types of us...
    Say that my Guild of...umm... (thinks of a fictional guild name) .. "The BBQ Guild"... they get stuck inside the castle defending it and run out of food, but there's all these dead bodies around. if they don't eat'em, then they will loose that PvP edge to every defense or attack that's being made. "I as a member" then have to decide..."hmm... some Jake on a stick sounds good about now, or some Jake jerky for that matter...mmm Good!" :rolleyes:

So how do we all feel about that? and what other reasons can we think of where that may sound like a good idea? or what other recipes or skills do you think we need to make some good home cooked "Jake Burgers"?

The following I posted in the Dev+ and it's something I've been wanting to get off my chest for quite a while now;

"Confessions of the Time Lord" :(

I want to bring something up here that's been a really great value to me as far as a technique to get smarter about what this game actually has, is about and what mechanics of it are, from the well informed players and innovators among us.
    "I Stalk Smart People!"

There, I said it, and I've been wanting to get that off my chest for some time now.... :(
    "I'm a SotA Stalker!"

And from what my close friends all know as fact...
    "I'm a Notorious SotA Stalker!"

So all these seemingly words of wisdom I'm usually spiting out in shameless posts all over our New Britannia are only the dribbling's of a presidio façade of other people's knowledge on very deep SotA subjects.... o_O

So find somebody that seems to know what they're talking about... it could be done random, but that would make you a "Cereal SotA Stalker" which may or may not tip off the SotA AI to your devious behavior problem casing you some strange ingame SotA karma.... o_O

I'm also always surprised at the amount of people here that have joined guilds where they haven't gone back through every single post their new Guild's Master has ever made and check out all the crap they said in their pasts that may have caused you to have thought twice before you joined their guild...
    That just boggles my mind... o_O
    As for me, I will never be satisfied with what all I can learn from my friends until I can literally "Gnaw on Their Sculls In Our Game" ;)!
    "Now Can You Smell What the Time Lord's Cookin'?"

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

2. selbie

selbie Avatar

Side effects may vary....

[​IMG]

3. Eli Fox

Eli Fox Avatar

Eating people is kind of taboo in my book. I would hope the game inflicts something on those people; it IS fantasy. Maybe a change in appearance, like an unhealthy look in the eyes or something similar that is NOT in the character generator. A tell of some sort that let's people know of the dirty little secret.

4. Saosis

Saosis Avatar

If you make it something that is only gotten by eating people, it will become a reward and some will only do it because of that...

5. Eli Fox

Eli Fox Avatar

Why would they do it otherwise? Rewards in appearance only effect the characters development on a Role Playing level. If you want to play a creepy character, why not look the part with some sunken eyes.

I don't mind rewarding Role Players. I don't suspect players will break character to get some "flaw" of a reward associated with their appearance. If they do, then they played the part and deserve the appearance. That's just me though, I suppose eating people for nutrition is a school of thought also...just not mine.

6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I believe that LB is talking about a hit to karma, but treating it as every other meat otherwise.
    I don't see anything wrong with it myself as long as there's a karma hit.

Yet when I consider LB's checks and balances he's always had as a central theme of anything he's done, I feel that some sort of temporary strength buff would offset in having the karma hit a consequence.

I believe that DS is actually the one against the idea.... sort of a switcheroo there aye? :D
    I also know that it would provide another possible quest tool. Quests by words and monsters are limited, yet with every new option, quests can become deeper into karmic issues of which RG is well famed for and Ultima Prime was all about. He had children being killed there if you haven't had the chance to play any Ultima Prime.
    I don't think I'd do it, but that has always been the bait for the quest constructor....
    Something you thought you'd never do ;)

7. Retro

Retro Avatar

I'll just leave this here...

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

9. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

All for that, if the parts grow back in this realm.

Otherwise:
    1. Consume right thumb.
    2. You have been granted a permanent +10 to Dexterity
    3. "Woohoo!"
    4. You have now lost the ability to hold objects in your right hand.
    5. "Dammit!"

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well... if cannibalism is allowed, self-cannibalism will happen. Someone will kill you, and keep your body parts. Meanwhile you resurrect, and talk to the person who killed you. He doesn't want to hold your body parts for ransom, but asks if you want to eat them.

I was more wondering what Time Lord was open to :)

11. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

*Quickly Backs out of the thread before losing lunch.*

12. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I just don't see any value to this. It's just toxic behavior.

13. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I used to have a guild in WoW called "Human Picnic." We purposely used the undead cannibalism skill more often than other people. If I can make a taco out of Tito....Human Picnic will rise again!

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Did you also eat lice meat

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Eating people in a game where you're actions are being judged. It seems that this sort of action would by nature be perverse.

My reasoning:

By nature we are designed to procreate, and we have strong instincts that desire that our offspring prosper. Murdering a member of your own race is just as much a perversion of who we are as cancer is. One is a genetic mutation, and the other a mental mutation. To desire to murder is contrary to our nature and must be considered immoral and wrong.

So eating a person of the same race is yet another mutation of the natural thought process. Unless you are starving to death, and the person has already passed on, this would be some kind of perversion. To kill other humans for the purpose of eating them is a clearly evil. It isn't a virtue/chaos issue, it's the product of a diseased mind. Or might described as evil. A complete disdain for the beautify, and sanctity of life.

So if this is allowed it should be reflected negatively in that person's virtue profile. If somebody killed your mother, and then on top of that cooks her and is laughing while he eats her, how would you feel? Would you feel differently if somebody other than the murderer ate your mother? NO WAY. You would have just as much contempt for all the people involved in that canibalism as if they were involved with the murder directly. Clearly those types of people are what prisons, society, "and bounty hunters" are there to protect the world from. Just like antibodies protect our bodies from viruses that try to kill us, so too society must protect people from villians such as these. It's like eradicating a cell that has become cancerous.

Therefore I propose that if a person eats another human they should be flagged as a PK just as if he committed a murder even if it wasn't him who killed that person.

*that's a logical view... I'll leave the morality of such an action for the morality police. Either way it's clear to me that eating another human is an insult to all those who loved the person who was eaten.

16. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I am totally in favor of this! Not that I will do it. BUT, if a person is playing a necromancer type character why wouldn't they? If they want to have a sinister bend then this would be something they might do. I love the idea of an appearance specific to such people.

From a game mechanics perspective, I like the idea that people can be quartered, skinned and eaten. Heinous as it is. I don't even like the idea of killing non-agro critters in game, so I doubt I will be doing this, but I'd like it if some people can. It also increases the immersion. It allows evil to really be evil and those of us who want to be good to actually choose rather than having it forced upon us.

An interesting thread my friend. Never thought I would be arguing in favor of eating characters in game. Nevertheless, it seems like it should be an option in SotA. (Will that effect people's opinions of PvP when fighting a BBQ guild member?)

17. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

*against this*

Sunsanvil, Noctiflora and Time Lord like this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Since this is a suggestion by Lord British, I am in and there are humorous flavors to it. I've laughed several times not at this subject, trying to think of how I would explain it to my GF who is Thai and knows little of our culture. But also, it's a kid thing to giggle at and in real life I'm sure no kid, but if it made me giggle, it must be fun.
    I do not believe that I will ever do it ingame, but one thing I will be doing is identifying the SotA food that someone may offer me ;) !

Was Cow Tipping essential for UO?... such things as eating people and cow tipping may allow us to get back that "no bounds" flavor, that some seem to be accusing any revisit Ultima of somehow loosing... o_O

19. Retro

Retro Avatar

Couldn't have said it better myself... However I would like to also see body parts used as:
    • Alchemy ingredients
    • Crafting masks and disguises
    • Spell reagents (High level Death Magic)
    • Evil cooking ingredients
    • Evil crafting (i.e. bone armour, cursed items)
    • Building golems and homunculus (bonus points if we can only craft them during thunder storms, with a Tesla coil/rack device)

20. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

As long as it comes with all the negatives like prion diseases such as kuru (which should heavily hit any mental stats), and the social disadvantages (like no civilized person wanting to have anything to do with you) then I am all for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.