Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Overland Map Poll [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'Release 4 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Mar 27, 2014.

?

Which style of overland map do you prefer ?

Poll closed Apr 3, 2014.
  1. The original Roosterteeth Style

43.1%
  2. R4's paper/cloth Game of Thrones opening Style

28.7%
  3. Both

10.8%
  4. Neither

17.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Dude... argh... :S

Look your point is that you want fast travel, and it looks like you'll have it for sure.

Your point is already made !!! and nothing was every said to the contrary...

Calm down, I know I get your mind going, but common ; we'll talk in game like gentlemen to resolve this.

2. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I'm perfectly calm, thanks all the same. Why are you trying to suggest otherwise when you don't know me, or what I'm thinking, at the present moment?

Time Lord likes this.
  3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

As I said that is matter for PM or later, I'm not here to make a fool out of anyone, in fact I'm the most suited for the job :) There will be many, many others like you who will seek to face this companion in philosophical discourse...

It's a poll so I have no issue with you saying you like the current map... but the thread was clearly developped as constructive criticism... you turn it into something weird entirely. We read all your text and imagine theres a point behind it then get frustrated.

If you really just have this to say then a new thread is all indicated cause the devs would love to see more positive threads about it too, but make it constructive for Chris's sake *lol*

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Mishri likes this.
  5. Margard

Margard Avatar

Walking back and forth can be annoying ... but the annoyance to me is much more attributed to - quest chains that require you to do so in a silly/dumb/tedious manner

When you are travelling for your own purpose it is not as of an annoyance to me

- But "fast travel" ala skyrim in the overland map is not something I would personally like here ... fast travel through lunar rifts / moongates all good ... but not POI to POI

6. Margard

Margard Avatar

I think you would have an uproar if they went that route ... I personally would like it but I don't see too many folks being open to such idea judging from some of the comments in the forum

7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Why have an uproar about this graphics in the scene view and not in the overland view? :)
    They are halfway on the route to this with the popup paper map overworld view ;) So we would just stay consistent to the art style... ;)

Ahuaeynkgkxs likes this.
  8. Margard

Margard Avatar

Hey I'm all for it ... if they go this route ... I would support this game even more!

I could be wrong but the representative members of the forum "appear" to be "traditionalist"

"Give me my top down / 3d map" ... "No cartoons"

I've posted a lot of images and one video demonstrate different takes / angles / to a 2d approach ... after seeing what can be accomplished i'm on board :D

9. Margard

Margard Avatar

To add - after looking at the 3d game maps - with the exception of one that someone posted (the one with the dragon) regardless of polish they all seem to blend together

The 2d approach "PoPs Out" pun intended :)

And yes, I get that some folks are not into it ... and for reasonable reasons ... but the ability to elicit "mood" and "environmental" change seems massive in 2d format

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Not traditionalists, we "traditionalists" are seen as a bunch of unwanted inflammatory, immature wanna be PKs that only think about griefing.

11. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

?

What are you talking about? Who are you talking to? This seems like an entirely random, off-topic statement.

NRaas and Ragnabrock like this.
  12. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Margard used the term "traditionalist" in their post, a couple of posts above his. So it's in relation to that. Well, half of it is... I don't know where the "immature wannabe PK" bit came from...

Time Lord likes this.
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

ah no worries, random frustration I guess... I consider myself a traditionalist and I feel like theres only a few of us, who get called names...

thats why he said "appear" to be "traditionalists"

14. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Although the poll has closed, I'd have voted for both.

I liked the old system. It seemed like a modern version of Ultima's overworld map. At the same time, the new GOT inspired map has an appealing artistic style.

15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Wouldn't traditionalists be talking about the old school ultima fans from the ultima era?

16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Sure if you want... thats without the quotation marks :)

The other type is those that played UO before it even came out in beta... in their minds as if it was DnD. And who hold the vision created by Lord Gariott in high respect still to this day, before it was influenced by market and "the guardian"...

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  17. Sergorn

Sergorn Avatar

Okay...

I haven't been able to play the Alpha because the game just kept crashing on me.

And so yeah I've just seen screens of the Overland map.

This is a joke right ? I mean it has to be.

Frankly and blunty : I'm dissapointed and I feel cheated. This is NOT what I spend 150€ on - the Overland map was a major selling point to me. If the prototype had a crap like this as an Overland ? Well I would neve have spent nearly as much. And to think I almost went all in to developper level. This is the last time I ever spend a dime on a Kickstarter.

And sorry I don't buy the whole "Yeah but the 3D Overland map didn't look right" argument - I looked FINE in the Alpha, all it needed was to be polished/improved upon. If you don't have the ressources to make it work properly, then admit it instead of making excuses.

I think I'm officially done caring for SotA at this point. I'll try the game when it's out, but this was the final nail in the coffin : I've lost all my optimism. :mad:

-Sergorn

fburzaco and Caliya like this.
  18. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

The devs had mentioned they haven't abandoned the 3d overland map yet.. so don't give up hope.

19. pedamimi

pedamimi Avatar

I would like to be able to simply walk from town to town. The over world map look is just too dated.

20. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Over the map, a tool strictly to get you from place to place? Interesting.

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.