What PvP Players can look forward to

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by enderandrew, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Not all UO Vets agree. And, fortunately, SotA will not provide a fulfillment of your wish.

2. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Not all vets agree... Well that's an obvious statement, not all anyone at any time in any place have ever 100% agreed on anything, but the old UO guilds, I'm talking about the Fheads, The LoP, etc they loved the PvP aspect big time and I could get 100 of them to confirm this, nobody speaks for all vets.

Alexander, Talmanes and Time Lord like this.
  3. Talmanes

Talmanes Avatar

Yeah, I just read some of the other posts... no creativity imo. All these approaches to pvp have been done and are in other big titles as well as housing and I expect more from LB. For ever pvper that means to hurt someone there are pvpers that would defend them. Provide equipment to pvpers of good karma in a barracks and build a magical tower that detects negative karma so they know where to head (equipment would do damage to negative karma players if they attempt to use them). Maybe the miner should at least pose a little risk (crit chance for crafters or non pvp players being attacked). Maybe negative karma limits you to Master levels so you can't become grandmaster and turns you into a troll or pale vamp like avatar. Disable auto names over characters to make it harder to see them in the woods or behind bushes, finally a use for the spyglass. This would all work and maintain player freedom, with the understanding that in this game negative karma does damage to your soul limiting your full potential for instance. I do play old school uo servers, there are so many of them that there are only 100 to 1200 people per server and that is nothing compared to original uo populations.

From reading the other posts I can see where non open pvpers are coming from and honestly feel for them. They want the environment that they can enjoy and they don't enjoy us (non game designed and controlled factors). I believe pvpers prefer the difficulty of combat against a pc over npc and the Freedom of Ultima called to us. So most games have to pick a side or be luke warm. I say lets be creative and find a way to give people the freedom to attack but the discouragement to make it not as much of a cake walk and a path less traveled so that we can all play together in a new exciting world (you'd have to call my mother a troll for me to attack you, but I have the freedom to attack you if you make such a comment). If this game was meant to be Sims Ultima edition then maybe I'm just way off and we should listen to the advice of our non pvp Ultima brothers and sisters that this game is not for us.

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You follow your quip about my reply with a statement of an absolute... I ran a meeting this morning where everyone in attendance was in 100% agreement on several subjects. The problem with absolutes is they can be dis-proven with a single counterexample.
    I've never disputed the fact that many people loved the (lack of) rule set from pre-Renaissance UO. Many of them forget or refuse to believe that there were many, a majority even, that did not. Else there never would have been a Trammel to smell.

5. Talmanes

Talmanes Avatar

The word is most and I believe that is UO scientific fact how most vets feel about trammel. Also, you proudly state that fortunately 100,000s of PVPers will not get their wish of a game with PVP and Environmental freedom. Do we not RP? Is our cash not green? We've been waiting for a decade it won't hurt our feelings to keep waiting. Restricted PvP is not freedom, it's Truman Show.

blaquerogue and xanax like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Welcome to SotA Talmanes,

"These first 2 posts of yours here are Great" ;)!
    Again, Welcome to SotA o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

7. herradam

herradam Avatar

Scientific fact? On what authority do you claim this?

8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Shh... let's listen o_O

I think we're going to learn more in his 4th ever post on SotA :D !
    I think his 3rd post ever was brilliant', he must have read the rest of the forums :)

9. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I never played UO. But my understanding was that Trammel was a way to opt out of PvP while still playing UO. So you could still play in Felucca with the same old rule set.

Which was more popular, Trammel or Felucca?

10. herradam

herradam Avatar

Take a wild guess.

I had lots of fun in UO before trammel, but given the option I moved. Why? Because I don't have time to deal with gankers trying to get their jollies by ruining my gameplay experience. Now that I'm older I have even less time to entertain the whims of people like this.

11. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

That my friend is the question.

12. Father Aquila

Father Aquila Avatar

Absolutely agree with this.

13. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Without going into the pros and cons of non-consensual pvp, and I am saying this with the most friendly of motives, I think the important thing to remember is that it's not just a simple matter of saying non-pvp people can just do this, that, or the other if they want to avoid being attacked. The reality is that the non-pvp people who do not wish non-consensual pvp will simply not play any game that is designed the way you want. They will avoid being attacked by not being there. So you won't be able to attack those people anyway, and the game company loses out on a substantial portion of the gaming community's money. Most game companies are not going to be content with being relegated to the moldering pile of niche games on the market these days. There are a number of them out there right now with the style of pvp you want. I can think of a couple off the top of my head and I don't even pvp. :)

With the way SotA is going to be doing it, you can pvp anywhere you like and attack anyone you like IF that person is also flagged for pvp. Why is that not enough? If your goal is to attack people who do not wish to play that way, then I'm not sure I know what to tell you without going into all the same old arguments in every thread on this and every other game forum out there. In SotA both playstyles can coexist in the same space without interfering with each other, friends with opposing playstyles can play together on the same servers. Win/win all around, imo.

14. Talmanes

Talmanes Avatar

I'm basing it off my sampling of the 1,000s of UO Vets (Pre-2000) I've played with since Trammel. You would get over half to admit that the most fun they had in UO was Pre-2000 any day of the week (I'd upgrade to vast majority of my sampling)and that's when EA took the reigns. If you compare UO today vs Pre-2000 it's no comparison, look at all the Free Servers being supported Pre-2000 just by people actively looking for the Old UO experience.

Prime, in the post 2000 world Trammel was more popular (mostly afk players though just zoned out at the bank in a kind of zombie like peacock show) and does not change preference of pre 2000 UO. They killed off all the vegetation, diluted the population, Opened up a ton of new land for housing and it evolved into rare (literally $500) insured equipment being necessary to pvp at higher levels. I played the official Servers for 13 years (in Fel) I believe before I left for old UO Shards.

15. Robby

Robby Avatar

Try mortal online theres no restrictions on PvP there! I actually heard theres house looting and all! Im tempted to try it, but I think theres a monthly fee.... =(
    But yea, SotA will be different. It may not have the "freedom" but it will be cool in a different way. The full loot PvP servers are lower in population and all... But who cares? not me. I always find plenty of folks who like to go out mining and lumberjacking even though they know they could be butchered. One day im gathering resources and get whacked, then the next day I turn round and get their resource gatherer on my pk.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Doesn't really matter what you want, or what you believe. You're not getting it here.

17. Talmanes

Talmanes Avatar

I'll check it out. I actually do the opposite though. I was in a guild called COPS and we would run around chasing criminals and bringing them to justice. Put there heads in Jail, even had a small Police village. I was the only member of the SWAT Unit, you had to defeat the whole guild in combat to make it into the unit.

I loved building complex templates within the skill cap, just enough detect hidden to find a mage that cast invis. Just enough poisoning to apply another dose. Fun Fun. Don't mean to ruin anyone's day, just saw an article on this got really excited ran over here and then got sad. No worries, have fun.

FYI, only time I would go to Trammel was Luna to shop for those expensive items you had to have. Wonderful Vendor spots there, 100s of them.

Dhailen likes this.
  18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Bye. Have a nice life. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Doppelganger, Crikey and Time Lord like this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Talmanes,

If it were done, when 'tis done, then 'twere well
    It were done quickly. If th' assassination
    Could trammel up the consequence, and catch
    With his surcease, success: that but this blow
    Might be the be-all and the end-all—here,
    But here, upon this bank and shoal of time,
    We'd jump the life to come.

Maybe there's some needed jumping involved here... o_O