What PvP Players can look forward to

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by enderandrew, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Wrong Ganking is when a group attacks a smaller number or a single player. Gank = Gang attack.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I looked up the definition, which is also how I remember it:

Ganking (Gang killing) is the act of actively moving around the map in order to kill an enemy Hero in a numbers advantage.

10 reds running around killing solo blues.

edit: oops, I see Isaiah beat me to it.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

I would add to that by saying ganking is also higher level veteran players killing low level, far weaker players incapable of defending themselves. Not necessarily just a group.

Time Lord and blaquerogue like this.
  4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

opinions of each of us, when one person killed me i was "Ganked" everyone who was attacked by surprise told me they were ganked by "so and so"
    All of us are right!

Urban Dictionary definition -
    Ganking
    It is a word commonly used in online video games, usually used in an MMORPG. Ganking is the process in which a group of characters gang up on one or more players that do not have a chance to defend themselves, Or when one high level player does the same action to a player way below his or her own level

Dictionary.com's 21st Century Lexicon

Main Entry: gank 1
    Part of Speech: v
    Definition: to steal
    Usage: slang
    Main Entry: gank 2
    Part of Speech: v
    Definition: to show disrespect for; to hurt another's feelings
    Usage: slang

I was the latter of the Urban Dictionary more often!

5. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Hey Isaiah I'm with you on the karma system thing.. I made a post about it in the pvp thread. Thinking it through it just makes sense.

Areas that auto-flag everyone to PVP (resource hexes, contested points) No murder count.

Quests that flag you for pvp (so you have to attack others to complete the quest) No murder count.

Open PVP mode attack someone else who is a blue - Yes murder count.

Just need to figure out blue/gray/red and what if anything that changes and how you can earn your way back to blue... I haven't played a game with one of those systems in a long time so I'd except others with more experience to work that out.

Since this is 1 character per account and Reds will undoubtedly have houses they'll need to have towns that they can enter if not ability to enter all (with guards keeping a close watch on them). If it were the wild west it would be like if jesse james entered your town, you don't just kill him on sight.

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Basically, you fear the devs will spin on a dime... not likely, I challenge you to find one person talking about PVP that really beleive this.

The worse they can beleive is that they will ask for a siege perilous. Which also won't affect you one bit, cause you dont like those folks anyways.

It's gotten so absurd that I also feel exactly like Isaiah... point for point and I have roleplayed on UO siege perilous for 10 years almost straight... I did pvp when I was younger but really the more pks got on the server, the less I saw of them because I just played a bit intelligently having been properly warned.

So yea, I haven't even pvped in 8 years... I would suck at it now. But I still feel totally crossed...

TemplarAssassin and blaquerogue like this.
  7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

So..siege perilous launched july '99, if you started at launch that takes you to July 2009, maybe nearly 5 years since you last PVP'd?

Or do you mean you didn't pvp on siege perilous you just RP'd? I knew people that just RP'd in UO in fel all the time. just takes a certain type of 'rare' person to want that. and most of those people hung out at the old grandfathered homes that were under town protection.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I did miss quite a few years, and when I came back I had really lost touch, you know EA modified the game quite a bit, and ninjas, samurais and tons of strange stuff...

Really what I did was decorate a house, so portalarium is right on pitch with me right now, I just expected to have somewhere to be allowed to discuss what a perfect pvp build is. Cause I was under the impression that sacrificing half a pay every month until "launch" was giving me the right to participate, cause I'm a very early founder and didn't hesitate twice, even more.

And to me writting here is like participating, I don't want to change anything, I just like to enjoy the MOMENTUM of players coming back from all around and PRAISE Lord Gariott for making it possible.

However we have the same stupid opposition we had on stratics/EA... I'm sorry I don't want to attack anyone cause most of you have no idea what we been through (and all we tried to do is uphold what lord Gariott hoped for us) but on EA people feared too... they feared that if we influenced the devs enough with our "demands" about full loot and PVP, the budget of the game would be directed there and they would see their "new content" diminished.

However here, there is NO WAY, and we been told how many times ? There is no way we'll burn the candle by both ends cause its a long term effort by true devs, how many times will I have to repeat it :

TRUE DEVS THAT NEED OUR IDEAS FOR THE YEARS TO COME

9. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

I've removed a few negative comments from this thread--and issued a few warnings. Please try to voice your ideas without using profanity, calling people names, or making comparisons in a derogatory manner.

Also, I noticed people are saying that they are feeling targeted by the moderators for their beliefs on PVP. From my perspective this isn't the case, but if you feel this way I strongly recommend that you send an email to support@portalarium.com and cite specific instances. Moderators are only people--everyone makes mistakes, and it's always good to get constructive feedback.

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I remember that the oldest home on the SP shard is the small house outside gate of Moonglow and still carries the original awarded sign "First House of the Shard" or something like that because it was my guild house owned by our Guild Master Thunderlips. "The Fellowship" (TFS) Order Guild :)
    A very happening place in 99 for sure ;)

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I realize that PvP is not exactly what "some" want. This does not mean PvE get more.

Time Lord and Doppelganger like this.
  12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What you speak of is the forums. I can't defend the forums on PvE or PvP favor. That's an individual responsibility thing there.

In the game though, PvE does not get more. PvE can run around without being flagged for PvP. PvP can run around flagged for PvP. PvP gets a zone mechanic that allows for more access to rares. PvE, get's to choose to flag for PvP if they wish for that access.

The "Why" we PvP and PvE portion has not been released. So there is no way to know what more the styles get

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Agree. I am of the philosophy that they cannot develop a game that everyone will like. Imo, they set out to make a fresh, engrossing, story based RPG that would be a spiritual successor to Ultima in many respects. It seems in doing so, many followers of Ultima Online came on board as well, and expectedly so.

It is clear from looking around for the forums (abundantly clear) that there are people wanting to play this game for very different reasons. I just hope that the developers stay true to their vision, while considering our input and suggestions, and do not abandon their "focus" just trying to please the masses. It's clear not everyone will be happy. No matter what they do with this PvP/PvE balance, some will not be pleased. It's inevitable. Just like anything else in life, one game cannot be everything for everyone!

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I think it's "Quests and the need for NPC interaction" that's pushing both sides into a corner because this will be a Quest oriented game.
    With this new direction, "back into the original direction" of Ultima, what we are making room for is something that seems like "the invisible elephant in the room" for all sides. Quests are the primary focus, so that takes up allot of room from what we are use to seeing in UO. In UO, it was highly difficult to create quests and when we did have a few, they were solved easily and didn't link with every facet of our online life as they will here in SotA. o_O

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

We don't want to be excessively dwelling on the past either, UO would have developped a quest system if the devs hadn't been gutted and dragged in court.

Let's not open that can of worms ok ?

Moving forward we can see that people are afraid, well let me reassure you guys, your pledges are in the hand of real professionals, and not only that, they have matured and know exactly how to deliver a good product !

To me it feels doubly insulting that people try to justify the chaos by some other reason than chaos.

Theres plenty of other threads you can put your critical mind to use, this one is a loose end of a long thread that is very heavy and dark and full of holes...

let people say if they don't like it, ignore them you can move on !

Doppelganger likes this.
  16. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Most players won't and don't knowingly roleplay, it's a fact, in-game at next release
    take notice how many times you hear mention of someone talk about non-game