An extremely unpopular reality

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Poor game design, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

As a Baron level Royal Founder pledge member, I will own a ridiculous amount of player homes. I won't even begin to list them all, if you've followed this game at all you'll know what I'm talking about.

While this is a nice luxury to have, the truth is I can only live in one at a time. What's even sillier is that I don't plan to live in any of the homes I currently own. I'm waiting for the City Level Wizard's Tower to be made available in the add-on store so that both myself and my guild mates have a place to live.

But like many people that have pledged any amount over Citizen level, I plan to likely sell off all of my other homes that I'm not living in. So it's highly likely that the market for these homes will be flooded during the first few months after release. Which would do some interesting things to in-game market and the out of game market.

1) People in game would probably be able to acquire a nice home (not the plot) for a relatively small amount of in-game assets.
    2) Every sale or trade in-game would help undercut the sale of new homes from the add-on store.
    3) The devs would probably have to create better, more elaborate housing just to compete with their old housing (something that is currently happening as I write this, but that may escalate over time if something doesn't change).

I don't believe any of the above items would be "good" for the game. So what I propose is allowing players with EXTRA housing the ability to scrap it for raw materials like wood and iron. What this would do is give players an alternative to just flooding the market with unwanted housing. It would also help take housing out of the overall pool of available housing (thus returning value to the housing market and to the add-on store).

In my opinion, this would be a win for the game inside and outside of New Britannia.

2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

This is an interesting point. Why pay for a knight's pledge (for example) in the future when you can pick it up off of a Baron who wants to dump their possessions on the market for a few gold pieces. Or... if I pledge to be Lord of the Manor, can I give my wife my unused baron's home for what is an otherwise entry level account? Just have to buy the property deed, right? Is there a control on this?

Time Lord likes this.
  3. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

The property deed is what's "most valuable" and "most limited". The house is not going to be difficult to get at all.

So the reason to buy a Knight's Pledge now is to get a better lot selection spot. That's a good reason. But the bonus is that it also allows you to get a good house without haggling with some jerky Baron. :)

A Lord pledge gets you a Town Lot. That's another good reason.

Lastly, all of the pledges are TAX FREE, and there will be no way to get a tax free lot without pledging. That's a GREAT reason. So the reason to pledge now is not without serious benefits that will not be available later.

However, if you wanted to risk it all and go on the cheap...you could pledge down to Citizen and just get the scraps from other people that pledged higher. Or you could just take your chances on the whole thing can power game yourself to death trying to get everything you want in-game using in-game resources.

Lord Baldrith, Time Lord and Margard like this.
  5. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

You could decorate each house independently and live in different houses depending on your mood :p

Unless removing the house puts all items in your inventory which would be too bad.

For guild houses it would be interesting though to use different houses for parties. I'd perhaps decorate a smaller house for christmas or something or Halloween ;)

6. Father Aquila

Father Aquila Avatar

One of my roles will be curator of The Bear Tavern Museum and am interested in any unwanted pledge stuff including homes. I pay fair market.

Of course donations are always welcome and maybe you can have a Museum room named after you :p

7. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I always thought making pledge rewards tradable was a mistake. It adds very little value and makes a mess of things.

Lavos, Lord Albert, wagram and 6 others like this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

The value of making the pledge rewards tradable was that a person that pledged up didn't completely lose the value of their lower tier stuff. It made sense from a business standpoint. You encourage people to pledge higher by giving them a way to get value out of the stuff they can no longer use. The mess you make in the process however, is that you ruin the macro economy for housing.

9. Toby

Toby Avatar

i don't see anyone selling those pledge houses cheap. they will probably sell for hundreds of dollars. take for example the lord houses, someone had to pay 1500 to 1600 or whatever it is now just to get access to that house style. they won't give it away for a few gold pieces. just to get access to the baron house is 3600 or whatever, the duke castle is only gonna be in the hands of people to paid 5000+ dollars etc. it's the only way to get these house designs.

i think all these extra houses are great and they will be some of the first rare items in the game and will likely trade for hundreds of dollars worth of gold or real life cash just for the house design itself.

10. Beli

Beli Avatar

Have they said yet what happens if you delete your char and start another as far as getting all your pledge rewards back?

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Naively, I had assumed that we could choose to have any house at our level and beneath, but I didn't think that meant that we actually had all of those houses in our inventory. I had assumed that to be true because the alternative sounds bonkers. Now I'm wondering if I've misread the pledge rewards and wondering how it could ever make sense for the alternative to be true. Perhaps it would be better to relay this back to Portalarium and request a fix?

Time Lord, Aldo and Lord Beli like this.
  12. Beli

Beli Avatar

Yea I don't think we are going to actually have a deed in our inventor that we can give to someone. My thinking this is all going to be handled thru the for sell sign.

13. Drocis the Devious

I would like to think you are right...based on that logic I would be able to pay for my own $3600 account just by selling houses I'd never use.

Unfortunately, I don't believe this to be the case. The forum marketplace already has people trying to sell off their houses in bulk. While I agree the larger houses (the Baron and Duke homes) will be "rare", we must ask ourselves an important question...just where are people going to put those houses if there are no City Lots available? ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

The pledge items are tied to your account so they should repopulate to whatever new character you have. However, if you sold them at one point the items should not repopulate (that would be a very costly bug).

15. Drocis the Devious

The devs have previously said on numerous occasions that we would get all items unless otherwise stated and that the items would be tradeable. It's not a mistake or a loophole, it's exactly what Portalarium said they would do. I don't think the community needs to have this confirmed again. The only thing we don't get "extra" of is housing lots.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

Pledgers only get one lot deed per account. But they get all the HOUSES that come with their pledge and those below them. Royal Founders actually get all the Founder houses and the Benefactor houses.

So in the case of HOUSES, yes you will have something in your hand in-game that says you own a house and you can sell or trade that something to another player. At least, that's how trading is said to work and the devs have confirmed that houses and lots are tradeable.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Beli

Beli Avatar

Well I was just going on how its been in the releases. You find a for sell sign then the click it and a list comes up of the homes you have to choose from according to your pledge level, guess that is going to change on launch.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

I think that same process will exist at launch, Lord Beli. However I think that once the trading system is fully functional players will also have an opportunity to physically trade lots and houses in-game with other players and NPC's. I don't know for sure though, I'm just assuming based on what's previously been explained.

Time Lord and Lord Beli like this.
  19. Toby

Toby Avatar

well the people who bought city lots in the addon store would be one source of buyers for those house types and we have been told that there will be housing lots in the game available for in game currency. plus as each chapter is released more cities and lots will be added to the game and these house designs may go up even more in value as that happens.

i see many people buying them just to try and resell them later for a profit.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Toby

Toby Avatar

yep, i hope they are aware of that and make sure people can't exploit the system this way

Time Lord and Lord Beli like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.