Why all the Moderating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SaltyRobot, Jun 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I've rarely had to question the moderation of this forum. I have over 2000 posts, many of which half the community wishes I never posted in the first place because they're deemed too cynical or negative. But that hasn't stopped me from posting, and it hasn't resulted in my posts being deleted or censored.

The moderators on this forum are good. Some I like more than others, but overall they're a very balanced team of people trying to do their best while setting a high bar for themselves.

I've been on other game forums where this wasn't the case. I've see some forums with "ultimate freedom" be completely ignored by the developers. I'm happy that hasn't happened here, and I hope it never does since this is really the only way to communicate with the developers.

I will state that the main website has recently been heavily moderated in the updates section and posts have been deleted there and I do take exception with that. But that's really a seperate issue than this forum. I've been here almost from the start and in my opinion the forum moderation is excellent.

2. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

Fair enough, but I would like an answer to my recent post about my Housing of the Avatar ghost editing.

Bodhbh Dearg and Tarsilion like this.
  3. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Instead of the 'ignore' people option, is there a way to 'ignore' an entire thread so that I don't see it anymore? Seriously, if there is I'd like to use it on this one. Inbox me if there is.

In case anyone thinks I'm trying to stir the pot with this comment by going against the grain, I'm not. This will be my first and last post in this thread.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I doubt it. It's not nearly the same. When you ignore a person, it's because they could show up anywhere. But with an entire thread, you have to actively click and read it. An ignore function would be a bit superfluous. Just don't open the thread. Problem solved.

5. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

It's tough being a dissenting opinion in this forum. Those that remain are true fanatics who in many cases have donated A LOT of money to this effort and are quite intolerant of any questioning of the status quo. The moderators are also surely fanatics so you will have their admittedly difficult job skewed against you.

I would say a mixture of Ultima fanaticism and the involvement of money contributes to the tension around here.

6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I take it you don't have dev+ access. If you could see the PvP and Death mega threads in there people really did not like the first draft. They were vocal and blunt. I can't think of anyone that needed to be moderated. I may have missed it because I don't watch 24/7 but it's obvious that some people can make their points without breaking the forum rules.

Mistakes happen, poster and moderator alike. A slight misinterpretation can have things getting moderated. A few posts up you can see what I mean. All it takes is a private message conversation to sort things out.

The moderators are not trying to oppress disagreeing viewpoints.

7. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Something funny happened to Captain Jack yesterday. His post was locked up and stopped. His post was a very positive one. Captain Jack's post was locked without Captain Jack being issued a warning or a reason for it.

If Captain Jack did something wrong he is sorry, and he should get a warning for it. But as it stands right now, Captain Jack has no idea what is going on, except that his topic was locked without warning.

tamino, blaquerogue, Caliya and 5 others like this.
  8. CaptainJackSparrow

Oh my, actually I think Captain Jack's post was totally deleted! Captain Jack can no longer find his post :( I guess this is why everyone is thinking that these deletions take place without warning. Because they do :(

Please don't ban me, I thought I was posting to show support for another member of our community who put a lot of work in and helped Captain Jack.

tamino, blaquerogue, Caliya and 5 others like this.
  9. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Maybe they banned referring to oneself in the third person? :p

Seriously, just PM FireLotus or send a message to support. I'm sure they can clear it up.

Time Lord and CaptainJackSparrow like this.
  10. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Me too! IMO if you get moderated, deep down you know why....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time Lord and Noctiflora like this.
  11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Could Captain Jack be a casualty of the innocent type, caught up in the cross fire? Call the bounty hunters!

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

I don't believe this. In fact I've seen some of the highest backers being the most critical. I believe it's all in the delivery.

13. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think you're combining two things that do not belong together.

1) Being a dissenting voice is difficult here.

I agree with this. There are a lot of fan boys and fan girls on this forum that never seem to see the darkside of anything. @Noctiflora, for every high backer that voices concern there are usually 3 or 4 that say there's nothing to worry about. It really is tough.

2) The moderators are fan boys and fan girls.

While this may be true, I don't think it impacts the overall moderation of these forums on a macro level. Sure, there are outliers but overall they do an excellent job in a tough environment. This often includes putting their fan boy and fan girl hats aside and letting people have their say even when they probably disagree with them.

Lastly, I want to mention that I've seen RG go out of his way to encourage dissent. He seems to understand that you can't be an effective visionary if you live in a silo. I think that's reflected here in these forums, and it's important to remember that it would be much easier to just censor and ignore people. They're working hard to do the opposite.

14. CaptainJackSparrow

Captain Jack reported his post yesterday so that he may be told what he did wrong :( No answer, just a deletion :(

if it were an older post, Captain Jack may have never even noticed at all though!

Captain Jack thonks automatic notification is required to prevent issues like his.

Maeryck, tamino, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  15. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

I wouldn't argue with your 3 or 4 to 1 assessment. To me it seems more equal but I wouldn't argue it since I haven't made note of it myself.

About fan boys & girls, I for one will admit to being a fan girl but not in the derogatory sense that some people use it, and that doesn't mean I blindly approve of anything & everything. Nor do most I'd think. But I'm guessing that the more someone is inspired to pledge, the more they approve in general with the overall plans. That would be only natural. However, when most people talk about fan boys/girls, it's as an insult and they have it completely backwards in most cases anyway.

Speaking for myself, it's not that I agree with things because I'm a fan girl......it's that I'm a fan girl because I researched everything thoroughly and to my satisfaction, and I backed the game precisely because I like, and agree with, the "current thinking" and the stated plans for the game. So unless a change is made to something I liked prior to backing, then there is very little for me to be a dissenting voice about. So yeah, I guess that makes me a fan girl. lol.

I just think people who call others fan boys/girls in a derogatory manner are just wanting to toss out insults, and trivialize & invalidate people's opinions, without seeing the reality or people's "real" motivations and therefore I believe if they get moderated, it's probably because of how it's been said.

16. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

I'll clear it up here if you would like. The post was merged with another on the same topic, which was also noted on your report. Case closed. If you ever have a question, all you have to do is ask. :)

Time Lord and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  17. CaptainJackSparrow

Cool! Where was it merged to? Captain Jack has no notifications in his Inbox which tell him it was merged into or that his report was responded to. Maybe there are bugs with the forum?

Caliya, Time Lord, Tarsilion and 2 others like this.
  18. FireLotus

I'll PM you the link so that this thread can get back on topic. ;)

Time Lord and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  19. CaptainJackSparrow

Wait a second, you merged Captain Jack's topic into a topic and then closed the topic you merged it into???

I guess we are already back on topic then! Why all of this moderating? Can you use the same justification for closing both topics independently of one another? What was that justification? Do you realise merging the topics has destroyed Captain Jack's poll? Thank you for the PM, but on the topic of moderation I got no notification of my post being merged, my report being responded to, or the topic my post was merged into being locked. Are you guys just being mean to Captain Jack at this point? I feel like I am being singled out here after creating a topic of support for someone whom you guys may not have liked so much.

Caliya, Time Lord, Tarsilion and 2 others like this.
  20. FireLotus

*sigh*

New threads that are of a duplicate nature are always merged with the older topic, and even if they were not, the chronological nature of the forums orders the posts that way naturally. The topic was open when the merge occurred, and unfortunately, polls do not carry over during a merge. Again, if you feel that this action was taken with bias, feel free to submit a complaint to support@portalarium.com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.