Thief class request

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by fumblefingers, Aug 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

Hope you'll give this some thought please.
    Back some months ago when i first watched Richards, videos of this new and exciting game he talked of a thief . A class i loved to play, It seems this class and a few other like maybe a beggar, have been back shelved.
    I do know your trying to please as many as you can with what you all have to work with. But there is a lot of us that did pledge in hopes of a little more the a Mage Fighter or even just a Crafter.

I watched your video of whats coming up for R9 ,and your saying ,, as i understand it,nothing slated for the first year for rogues eg. hiding, stealing, stealth. Sure hope you'll find a way to work this class in to the game a bit sooner then a few years down the road.

I'm making this plea to you directly, because it seems you have more of the last word then does Richard, on what will or will not , find its way into the game. As a side note for some of us, you cant have to much gore for deco for our homes .. Smiles

Chizzang, Derium, Kvow [MGT] and 12 others like this.
  2. Floors

Floors Avatar

There are no classes in SoTA so there isn't anything preventing you from making a build that is stealthy and rogue like.

We don't even have half of the skills in yet, so I would say it's a bit premature to be ringing the death bells of a stealthy type build.

Kvow, Time Lord, Ator! and 6 others like this.
  3. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Moved to appropriate section and changed title to match topic of OP.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Pyro861

Pyro861 Avatar

If you look at the planned skill trees. A Stealth build would be based around moon magic and light armor combat. Vanish, shadowform, camouflage and silent movement...no stealing for now though afaik.

Kvow, blaquerogue, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  5. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

I give a thumbs up for thieving skills and abilities to utilize in PvE and PvP.

6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Thieving would be cool. I remember sneaking around in towns in Morrowind, breaking into the houses, stealing and attacking enemies "from the shadows". This would be cool for SotA, too.

7. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

can't have a thief without stealing.

8. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

As pyro said, I expect you choose need to choose the right skills, Moon magic and Light armor and use daggers or bows or whatever kind of rogue you think you should be.

stealing skill.... they talk about it on occasion, it's much easier to implement in single player games. They have discussed making it part of a pvp skill tree.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a misc. skill tree.. begging and stealing and all sorts of others (Disguising?) that are mostly "for fun" and not for a min/max combat build.

If it will make it in to episode one I don't know.. don't know if we'll even get it, but I would suspect that will eventually make it's way in.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Here is another good thread that expounds upon this topic. Come join in on some of the ideas. Vendetta made some interesting comments. I think there are some really good features that are quite possible for a Rogue character without having a "stealing" skill to start out with in Episode 1. Stealing might come later, but there are some really great possibilities with a rogue still that might be more fun than stealing skill alone.

What is the state of the thief

10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Lock-picking would be nice for a thief, too.

11. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

"You have been threatened by a thief"
    Do you:
    A. Run Away/Attack
    B. Pay Ransom to Keep Item being Stolen
    C. Relinquish Item
    D. Do nothing because your skill is too low to reveal shadows.

Time Lord and fumblefingers like this.
  12. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

Let's all think of a way that a thief could work, functionally, in the world of SotA. Let's consider the combat paths, magic paths, focus path. There are many points made by others about there already being the groundwork for a thief style, just need the thieving mechanic for it to pay off. I recommend a style of thieving that is less strenuous and something more easily implemented by the devs. So my idea is basically an encounter deck that is something like the deck combat system... A deck of encounter cards could be used for the first minute of an attack or something whereas the player can stave off all sorts of things like, i just ate a poisoned loaf of bread, how do i counter this, ok i'll just use my encounter tier decks, switch from combat to non-combat tier. Cure myself. I brought up the idea of encounter decks because there are all kinds of ways this could be beneficial in telling the story of the game as well. There might be decision cards, the type of attack or encounter would bring up certain cards that are specific to countering stat loss skills as well as poisons, stuns, etc.

This could be stretched into many topics but I am just trying to imagine a functional yet broad usage of a system that just so happens to utilize thieving.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This is doubling up what that other thread has already begun doing. This thread should be merged so we have it all in one place. Or just check here

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Schmidbauer

Schmidbauer Avatar

Yes would be a great class to have in game. Loved the pc title released years ago, and how they modeled it in that game. If they could model it sort of like that I think they would nail it pretty good visually. Not sure on the weapons that will be available, but definitely want a bow. I use to love sneaking up on the cook in the kitchens on the one map while he was preparing dinner and making him scream lmao :)

Time Lord and fumblefingers like this.
  15. Womby

Womby Avatar

Occupational Hazards #27: Theft

It should have been the perfect crime.
    An informant had told Gratnor that Sir Ewan Masterton had the most impressive collection of gemstones in the entire Vale.
    He also told Gratnor that Sir Ewan spent every Friday evening in the Hearth Inn after sending his only servant on a weekly supply trip to Owl’s Head. His Knight Marshall tower keep should therefore have been unoccupied.

The entry was ingenious. The powerful stealth potion had been obscenely expensive, but Gratnor considered it a worthwhile investment as he managed to slip inside unnoticed when Sir Ewan left for the evening.
    Once inside, he headed straight for the hidden room that would surely be the place where valuables were kept.
    Entering the room proved no obstacle for someone who had spent many years honing his skills as a thief. Surprisingly however the room was empty, save for a trapdoor that apparently led to a basement of some kind.

Cautiously Gratnor descended the ladder into the basement. Not wishing to alert any person or creature he might encounter, he felt his way along the wall in the dark.
    After several twists and turns Gratnor came up against what felt like iron bars. A loud clanging sound behind him caused him to freeze in his tracks, and he suddenly found himself locked in a cage on the edge of a large room, as various people in robes lit torches.
    In the centre of the room was a large altar.

As one of the people in robes approached his cage he recognised the face of his informant, who smiled at him, then turned to his colleagues and said “It is time. The sacrifice has arrived.”​

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

this is a great thief skills wheel by redfish I believe <<<<< click here, it is really cool

Hi there, yes I think the thief is only a natural part of the environment for this game.
    Times are hard, it is every man or woman for themselves, for some that is. ;)

I am not sure how the thief will be handled in SOTA but I do believe the ability to role play a thief will be possible.
    Keep the ideas coming for what you'd like to see being specific. That is what will bring the thief ability to have the life that it truly deserves in this game. ****cheers everyone****

edited*** hopefully it makes more sense. I posted late last night :cool:

17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"When Portalarium is Ready"
    [​IMG]
    "We will be Ready"
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

18. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

My apologies everyone, but I read down to this post after that thread went into my circular file. This entire forum is so overcrowded with mindless sycophants and toadies; please stop it at least for the game's sake.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

SOME IDEAS ON STEALING, JUST IDEAS

Well maybe if we have a REVEAL skill we can work up or not. Perhaps the thief in town can only steal very small amounts of gold that are not that noticeable if the victim has low REVEAL skill just to make it fun for that class without causing a major uproar in town.

Sometimes the victim might be someone who is poor and the thief would find nothing but a empty whiskey bottle as a joke or torn sock etc, or some grossness.

If a thief is caught by the victim who has higher REVEAL then the victim has the option to challenge him to a duel which the thief can refuse or say yes,
    and then if yes they proceed to a duel worthy spot. If the thief refuses the duel then he will have a penalty to stealing being frozen for a certain amount of time or as mentioned below in an example regarding payback ideas.

So all in all the in-town stealing to make it fair would not be such a big deal, just a very small amount of coins from other players/victims, and maybe a bit of unusual things from NPC to add some comic to it.

If caught by an NPC in town perhaps you are sent to the gates and that NPC will not do business with you for a certain amount of time.

I truly believe that stealing should have a place in this game and not be such a horrific thing, it could be a fun little thing if it is done right. And of course we do
    want to add a bit of fun to the game just a bit tho.:cool:

Perhaps the BEGGING skill could come into play in some way. For example if caught, the thief could give his sob story and have a chance to keep the coin if he or she is VERY convincing .

Or perhaps another idea would be to have the thief pay penance to the victim (if duel refused) in some small way he or she (the victim) chooses.;)
    ***Like for example; 'thief go get me 10 logs to craft with, or perhaps thief go get me 10 hides' or something on those lines or who knows what the request might be, that would be the fun of it.;)****

*****So sometimes it makes me a bit crazy to think that some of the simplest mechanics (not talking about implementation of the skills etc, that is not simple) have to have very complicating mechanics to them. I truly don't like limits:p*********

In this case it would not be as much about balance I feel, and adding that into my scenario seems like It gives the control partly to game design instead of the players ability of being able to role play it with added fun to it. So please think about that part. Imagine the possibilities:)

Oh well just some ideas that were coming to mind ****cheers****

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL oh and I am back again regarding my ideas above. *****Just consider that the Dev team thinks stealing would be a more difficult thing to put in the game than necessary. I just want it simplified to be fun. For example added to the NPC's conversation where they say things like 'excuse me for bumping into you', they can now say things like 'stop thief', or "you give that back,', they could also call for the guards, we remember that lol;)

So I am totally not technical or knowledgeable about game making, so in this case I comment to see if my comments would help the situation to happen sooner. Also from my vague thinking on this, I see that players would also have to be rigged to have choices to accept or decline duels, which they probably already would have that feature. So the only thing I see about stealing would be if the thief declines the duel, then the victim says ok then pay penance, and at that point gives the required task for the thief to do for punishment. So I'm sure I'm missing something or being unclear maybe, but that was another thought I had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.