Breakable Crates & Barrels [Poll] [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razimus, Apr 7, 2014.

?

What would YOU like to see in SOTA's future?

1. Breakable Crates & Barrels (Simplistic Diablo Style)

0.8%
  2. Every Container Usable/Openable (Detailed Ultima Style)

99.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

You're in league with the barrel making industry, trying to drive up demand for replacements.

You crafty crafters!

Eriador likes this.
  2. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

And the Barrels win in a landslide victory!

Common devs. Paint us a bucket bottom and use it to texture a container. I know you put some work into making containers smashable, but making this change would take about three minutes by my reckoning. You can still use the work you did to make containers smashable, too. Just let us attempt to bash open locked containers at the risk of destroying some or all of the contents. :D

*: The latter suggestion is not factored in my three minute estimate, but it would be super cool.

Razimus likes this.
  3. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

It is a profitable industry, what with everyone smashing them all the time and bakers and farmers insisting on using them to store single units of food. Let me tell you.

Derium and Saosis like this.
  4. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

All the men barrels must die!

5. Retro

Retro Avatar

I always assumed this was just a pre-alpha thing, that they would eventually update.

If that's not the case, I agree with OP...

I want to see containers that are:
    • open-able\closable
    • breakable
    • lockable (with unique keys, keys that can be copied to give to friends)
    • lock-pickable
    • password protected (in Runic ;))
    • moveable
    • floating\submerged in water
    • fixed in place
    • flammable (increases chance to break, timing is important, very high chance of damaging contents)
    • freezable (increases chance to break, less chance of damaging contents "shatters container")
    • Edit: Trapped\cursed\ward-able\spell bind-able
    • additional styles\sizes
    • Edit: stackable
    • Edit: Able to be used as a weapon: mine, catapult ammunition, depth charge, bomb etc.
    • Edit: have physics based properties where applicable (think floating, explosives, burning, freezing, weight etc.)
    • Edit: Hidden / Concealed: (wall safe behind a picture, wagon\chest with a false bottom, a vase, mattress or cookie jar with coin hidden in it)

and any other type, state or condition available.

6. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I will be veryt happy even with the half of the list.

Retro and Razimus like this.
  7. Avatar Aiden

Yeah let's stick with the Ultima way. Opening please.

8. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

[​IMG]

yeah, maybe even semi-transparent 'invisible' looking chests in Ultima VII, the ones that looked like aerogel

ShrineSeeker and Retro like this.
  9. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Does this need to be a stretch goal? If so I will still push for it.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  10. Rondar

Rondar Avatar

I had gotten so used to so many FPS using smashable/breakable containers that it had not occurred to me. But yea, we definitely need openable containers/ crates/ barrels. It is one of a number of features or lack of features that make SOTA feel not quite right and definitely not feel like an Ultima... yet.

Duke Invidia (Envy) likes this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I hate breakable crates and boxes. I have no idea why they're in the game. This is probably the single weirdest thing in this game right now. What's the point of having breakable crates and boxes?

Budner and Mata like this.
  12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Should be able to just open them or use an Axe to break them :)

Mata likes this.
  13. smack

smack Avatar

Breaking crates and barrels is so sooooothing and fun though. :)

But yeah, I think all containers should be breakable and openable. But breaking them should cause some chance of partial or full damage to some items inside.

Razimus and Lord Baldrith like this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

What's the point of breaking them? They're just going to stay broken for the next 20 years? :)

Some old guy is going to tell his kid, "You see that crate? I broke that."

And if it's just going to reset, that's almost worse. I don't mind having breakable stuff it's part of a more dynamic system. But having it just because it's mildly fun to break stuff seems needlessly pointless. I mean if I don't break something, someone else in the world is certainly going to do it.

It's a very unimmerssive mechanic that is better off being shelved, imo.

Mata likes this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

What if you don't have the key to open that chest? Being able to open chests by breaking them is just a variation to gameplay. I'd imagine not all chests will be locked, some will be locked using a key or other physical object/mechanism, and some even by magic.

So let's get creative. Let's put a fragile rare inside a locked chest. Players that take the destructive route might unknowingly end up destroying the rare. How about the reverse...let's put a trap in that chest. Players that open it normally may trigger the trap but won't destroy the fragile rare. Players that break the chest will possibly destroy the trap but might also destroy the rare. We can layer on interesting and fun ways to exploit the breakability of containers.

Respawning chests have the same problem as the items that magically respawn in them every 3 minutes, or respawn every time you enter the instance, etc., so nothing new there.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

That's a great question and reasonable solutions (break, use magic, etc)...but now we're creating new problems for ourselves. Can we also do this with player items? How do players defend themselves if flagged open pvp? Where do all the broken chests go? Are we giving players a problem where every container now looks like a nail to be smashed with a hammer?

I think the easiest and best solution is to just stop having people break stuff. If we want to develop a more robust and interesting system later, that would be great. But breaking chests and boxes is not high on my priority list. I can think of at least 100 other things I'd want them to put their time into before this.

17. smack

smack Avatar

We know this isn't going to happen (thieving against players) anytime soon, if at all. But if we're lucky and they do allow it, we'd need a greater discussion beyond this to go through the use cases. But off the top of my head, to protect players from having their chests randomly broken by others, allow special traps that are activated when violently triggered (forceful explosions, chemical release, etc). And yeah, if it's broke, it's broke. Go to your crafter friend and have him make you a new one. You flag for PvP, you face the consequences to your belongings in breakable chests -- again, if we ever go down this route which I highly doubt we ever will.

And sure, maybe we can create chests, you know, not made from flimsy wood. Metal containers, perhaps?

Well, breaking is already implemented for large/small crates and barrels. They can leave it at that if it's not a priority, so chests, even those made from flimsy wood, will remain unbreakable. I can also think of 100 other things they can work on too, as 99% of all messages on this forum are wishful thinking. But it's fun to dream.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  18. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

A game that wants to achieve the same level of interactivity like Ultima VII should definitely have containers like crates, barrels, chests etc. that can be opened. I would also expect us to move those things around like in Ultima VII. Right now SotA is far away from the level of interactivity of Ultima VII...

Lord Baldrith and Mata like this.
  19. smack

smack Avatar

Well, chests can be opened now. I agree they should extend that to crate and barrels and sacks. And you can move objects around now, except only in player homes. They've talked about allowing that in public areas so it's just a flip of the switch but haven't done so yet due to ya know, griefing / TTP.

In single player offline mode, I hope all of that is enabled.

Rondar and Lord Baldrith like this.
  20. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

it's hard to blame a mimic for attacking you after you just got through smacking it with a sword ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.