Banning/Permissions Control List for Owners/Co-Owners

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Tahru, Jan 16, 2015.

?

Should Player Town Owners be able to Ban?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2015.
  1. I want owners to be able to ban, but not during guild wars, or in open pvp towns.

10.7%
  2. I want to be able to ban, but just for events, then they dont have to be banned anymore.

3.6%
  3. Banning is against the exploration of the game, and I may want to go to places where im not welcome.

10.7%
  4. No

39.3%
  5. Yes

35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Player-run towns cannot be bought. They're like Braemar is now... they will simply already be there waiting to be populated by whomever comes along.

3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am not nearly as strong opinionated on this. However, I think permanent bans should be up to the GM's. People are actually paying to play the game after all.

Themo Lock and Filthy Peasant like this.
  4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Ban from a POT is no different than a RL no trespassing sign or a restraining order. Only more effective. People have no right to be on YOUR property.

5. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

Never Fear i am here. I have a great solution that is both in compromise and yet compromises nothing. im not a coder but i highly doubt coding this could be that hard

POT: how about we go with the technical foul ban. you have the ability to ban but its just from the sphere of current pressence: what ever my vocabulary is failing me tonight. so if you have your theater troup over putting on a play you hit ban and whala hes gone... however hes really not gone hes still in your town but we cant see him anymore. ban but not banned.

unige idea for POT that want it guild only. upon entering the town the server automatically puts all members of a guild in to one sphere and anyone not in the guild into another.

i could give more examples of useage but im hoping the short version merits could be weighed and tossed

6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Neither a trespassing sign or a restraining order apply to a town in RL. Good argument for lots though. Even still, neither actually forces a person to comply.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well I suppose I'd switch gears a bit.. what if the town actually had a wall? A moon tower or log wall with a gate?

Part of my problem with relying on GMs is that there is always going to be a delay between reporting someone and when someone can come and deal with it.

Personally, I think it's a little sad we're even having a discussion about banning people but what you can do.. we can't deny that there will be deserving people out there.

8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

That is a good point, the ban could just put them in an "undesirable" instance of the town, leaving them with full access to vendors and the like.

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I agree, mabye a prompt could come up every once in awhile to give you the option to remove banned individuals from the ban list. or some kind of notification. But as for playing the game that they payed for, player owned towns have nothing to do with the content of the actual game, other than housing and some vendors. Maybe they can make the vendors accessible in single player mode even if you are banned in the multiplayer modes.

Time Lord and Sold and gone like this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well he's a general idea.. what if you could define a temporary ban that automagically expired?

11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

You know... you are absolutely correct about that, at least in terms of questing, story, skills and etc. However, I would like to think that I bought into the opportunity to improve the gaming experience of everyone far beyond myself. I am sure many others including those whom do not agree with this proposal agree with that. But once you buy into the idea of a POT as an exclusive hex, the game has legitimately been transformed into a pay to win game. I don't want to pay to win. I want to pay to improve and I feel people that close their towns are harming the game.

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

not a bad idea. I tell you I am manly against white list bans. To ban a person, you have to go to the trouble of typing their names into a sign or something. People won't go to the trouble until there is a legitimate problem. Perhaps, if a POT wants to ban someone, it should also be reported to the game admins.

13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

They have been pretty clear so far that the PoT's will contain nothing that could be used as a private advantage. Docholidays idea kind of seems like a solution that would keep both sides of the argument happy.

14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Can I ask you why you would feel like its pay to win in this case? I really am trying to see your point here :)

15. Beli

Beli Avatar

I dont know what to think about all this. They have said they dont know how they are going to handle this on a players land, if its teleporting them to some unknown destination or what. I had not thought about POTs. One thing is for sure it will not be a problem with the PVP POTS.

Gaelis and Roper Docholiday like this.
  16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

How does it feel to be left out? What kind of community excludes people they don't even know? That is what white list bans do.

17. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

ok i wil expand my thoughts 1 level deeper.

if you ban someone to the lets call undeseiable sphere. timer runs out in 24 hours. i belive that a instance flag should be made so that a gm can later see what was going on

should a player get banned multipal times from a single pot. their will be adiqute documentation to distribute prober warnings to sota gm tos ban from the game.

with that being said if you ban someone and a gm reviews the file and it deems that the owner was griefing someone that the reprecussion would be assesed against him (obvisouly stages of warnings etc probably allready in play)

i do not belive anyone should ever be banned from anywhere on the map. however i do belive you should be able to ban someone from your sphere. (might add that to house bans as well. the ban just pushes off sphere)

Spoon, Gaelis, Filthy Peasant and 2 others like this.
  18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Great ideas doc!

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I was considering commenting on that but didn't seem quite as relevant to the discussion. Any ban should be automagically reported.. but I would do it in a similar way I've suggested before for books.

X number of bans within a given time frame or maybe a certain total begins to warrant a looking into. You wouldn't want a scenario where someone could basically get grief banned but most people who don't cause problems wouldn't normally get banned in the first place.. so I think tracking over time is a good way to tell if someone is actively being troublesome or not.

Of course, any ban should come with the option of a brief report.

20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I am pretty sure that if some one gets banned it would be for a reason. If not, well then tell all your friends not to go to that town. I dont think anyone wants to be banned and I dont think anyone wants to ban people unless they deserve it. To the player owned town owners that do, the are just hurting themselves. Overall though, I think it would be a good thing. You could meet these people in a public area and discuss why they were banned if they wanted to, or could meet some where else to get to know each other.

Time Lord, Sold and gone and Net like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.