Banning/Permissions Control List for Owners/Co-Owners

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Tahru, Jan 16, 2015.

?

Should Player Town Owners be able to Ban?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2015.
  1. I want owners to be able to ban, but not during guild wars, or in open pvp towns.

10.7%
  2. I want to be able to ban, but just for events, then they dont have to be banned anymore.

3.6%
  3. Banning is against the exploration of the game, and I may want to go to places where im not welcome.

10.7%
  4. No

39.3%
  5. Yes

35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James T. Cook

James T. Cook Avatar

Nor do I. Especially if the person remains hidden. What harm could arise out of it? Many people use party chat or private chat, or even external chat software, so it's not like they will get to gather much intel. It is just a way for a rogue to get experience.

If the risk is high (getting caught), then the XP gained while doing that task should be high too.

2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I understand your theory on this, and its not a bad one. I would surmise that the person could also just be allowed to log into single player online and do the same, and then the devs do not have to do all the extra work. :)

Net and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The only reason for a rogue type character to sneak into a town is to conduct some manner of PvP.. thus PvP considerations should apply.

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  4. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

Tracking especially, if we are able to track an enemy that has one of those 'contested items' they may be in the town! O.O

There is a lot to think about here, if a person has a contested item and then walks into a player owned town, that town shouldnt be able to ban at that moment, hmmm.

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Not entirely true, being sneaky is its own reward for many people heh

6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

That could certainly work in a pvp town! Not so much in a PvE town though.

DavenRock [MGT] likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Another point I haven't yet considered... such a town could be a safe haven for PvPers. Huh. We will have to see how this plays out. I'm all for having safe havens as long as they aren't a tactical advantage in PvP.

Say a normal player who doesn't have a safe haven town to go to needs to always be on alert while in towns, buying and selling stuff. There should be some law and order considering the guards and local laws might make PvP undesirable in some towns.However, I don't want to propose that there be some non-pvp only towns to act as save havens for all people. The person who flags for PvP should be ready at all times even if the place is relatively protected. Going to a town and with your normal clothes on and your bunny slippers while you suck down martinis shouldn't be expected. Even going to a tavern should have an element of danger of a bar fight.

So having a perfectly 100% safe haven is kind of wierd unless it is some kind of temple, and not an actual city where you can buy and sell goods. If there is a safe haven let it be some kind of temple or church where people can find sanctuary and there isn't much else to do but meditate and look at the nice stained glass windows and read some books. lol

EDIT: I'm a believer that at even special community events the PvP flag should still be available. If there is a special community event like a carnival, the people putting on the event should make sure there are plenty of guards, and do their best to work out a deal with opposing factions before the event to get them to agree to but their quarrels away while at the event. That way these people could also help defend the carnival from some nuts that want to start a fight. (I'm not referring to auditorium performances. I think there will be things in place that will keep people from wrecking performances... it isn't PvPers that are the problem at hose but rather people who aren't pvpers who jump on stage and you can't do anything about them. At least you can kill a PvPer).

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I suppose that may be technically true but I've yet to meet such a person to my knowledge. :) Hmmm then again considering the context.. lol

But seriously.. what would be the point of sneaking if you're not going to something sneaky?

9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

that would be actively doing something sneaky. :)

11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

The answer to that we dont know yet. The question is asked if a town can go PvP free, and there has not been an answer yet. I do not think it would be wierd though if a town did it. You as a pvp'r might consider it not your style but there are those that do no pvp also. If you have PvP only towns, and normal towns, it makes sense that there would be a PvP free town. In that case even if a person where to seek refuge there, you would have no reason for going there for pvp anyway.

12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

If it was a difficult task, i would do it just because i can lol

13. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

Ah yes, it's almost as if the contested item will prevent you from going into a non-pvp zone. In a way, with that in mind, the contested item means you are instantly banned from entering a pvp free zone. interesting.

14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Yes, just as a PvP forces a flag on you, a pvp free zone would force the flag off of you :)

15. James T. Cook

James T. Cook Avatar

Explore... and break the law by trespassing.

16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I would add to it though that you would be allowed to duel. This could work well with Role play performances.

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

A PvP free zone is exactly what somebody removed the blessing of the oracle for in the first place.... not to have PvP free zones.

So it is a touchy issue to bring up a PvP free zone.

18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Ya, I see your point. But as a counter point I would add that a PvP zone takes away the blessing of the oracle if you are not flagged. So its kind of the same thing. PvP zones take away the blessing, PvP free zones give you the blessing.

19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Though it is pure speculation, i kind of suspect the oracle heads may let people unflag in their homes.

20. James T. Cook

James T. Cook Avatar

I think I like the idea of having some risk as well. The whole part about having some tighter protection and stricter rules in a town seems logical. So rather than having an explicit PvP free zone, they can have strict local laws and tough guards to help enforce it.

I like what you say about a murder system and killing guards should count as killing a player in cold blood. So not only should a murderer be attacked on sight by guards, but they also should be shunned by NPCs in general (except for major questline stuff), until their murder count is worked off. Strict penalties are how our civilization handles criminals too. They should also have bounties for people who are guard killers, and player killers.

Therefore if two players from warring guilds, and they fight, they shouldn't get a murder count because that is acceptable as far as the game goes. They don't get murder counts. However that doesn't mean they should just kill each other in a "respectable" city. If the guards see to people fighting they should command that they both stop and reprimand the aggressor (removing them from combat status immediately). If the players hit Z and continue to fight the guards should attack and the aggressor is flagged a criminal. He could surrender '/surrender' or he could run away or stay and kill the guards. If he runs away he should be reprimanded upon return to the town and fined or whatever. If he kills the guards he doesn't get fined he is a murderer and will have a bounty on his head and not be able to deactivate PvP until the murder counts are gone, and he is free to be attacked or killed by anybody anywhere (no guards should stop people from bringing a murderer to justice).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.