Will the pure crafter be possible?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Fikule, Feb 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

The node system seems to heavily discourage this path right now.

In UO you would simply mine, a lot, able to venture to safe (or relatively safe) locations and collect ore through some solid, yet rewarding work.

Nodes are always guarded, a big drawback to anyone wanting to play purely as a crafter. On top of that, the nodes themselves make gathering feel less rewarding. By this I refer to the amount of time you spend running around looking for resources as opposed to the time you actually spend gathering and crafting.

I would much prefer being able to mine freely and have ingots simply take more ore to create. Or chop any tree and refine the mass of wood into more manageable resource.

For example:
    A miner could move to a cliffside, mine it with no node and possibly receive some ore. At the same time he could prospect the stone for a chance of finding a vein of ore to reliably mine. The chance of a vein would depend on skill points spent in mining and his prospecting of mined positions on the stone and the propecting tools used. You may have to use a shovel on top of hillsides and a pick on cliff faces.
    All I am saying is make gathering a skill and have it feel rewarding, don't make it a game of find-the-node.

2. Gareth Caliborne

Gareth Caliborne Avatar

Sadly Pure Crafters don't appear as if they'll be possible, since you have to fight to get resources.

Also, since crafting exp and adventure exp are separate, everyone will be able to spend points into crafting, since they wont have to make a choice between spending a point in crafting or a point in something else. So people who craft won't really be rare or special commodities, either.

At least from my understanding of how the system is set up currently.

3. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

That seems like a shame. Still, I hope the gathering system is still up for debate. I really do detest today's idea of running around.

I don't mind the concept of having to look for ore, but I would like the search to be more involved than just finding that copper ore sticking out of a rock. I want to MINE for ore.

Pedro Luis, iansmellis and Ice Queen like this.
  4. Gareth Caliborne

Gareth Caliborne Avatar

Yeah, UO style crafting is really what I was hoping for. Playing a pure crafter was always fun, though not really doable in the same way in this game.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Pyromapes2k it sounds like you are a crafting fan. Yes I agree resources are a challenge to aquire somethimes, well quite often ;) Well hopefully the resource gathering will get much more interesting also as it is fully
    implemented into the game and also the crafting. I'm with you regarding the node gathering, so far it is very low yield and crafting amount needed of that resource is too high in most cases . So there is a lot of work still to do
    and is being done in those areas.

I like your idea regarding the vein of ore and having to use extra tools to get at it, that is a great idea. Nodes now are boring, but if you are given a chance to find a vein of ore sometimes that is great,
    along with the idea of what happens then. That's an important addition.

In archeage it wasn't too special what they did regarding a special node appearing sometimes while mining. It was nice to get them because they had special stuff in them, but not too
    inspired for the act of mining to be fun and not repetative or interesting.

***edit just saw the comment and yes crafting and resource gather can be impacted with our comments
    amd great ideas:)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Just a little reminder but.. pre-alpha. Resource output is not final. Neither have crafting skills been implemented.

Very early on devs have expressed the idea that a pure crafter would be able to complete the main storyline. That however is not a reflection on crafting in multiplayer. If you were willing to forgo the harvesting process and focus on processing and production of resources into goods, it will be possible to play as a pure crafter.

One would not however, expect wild game to come up to your doorstep and conveniently die for you so you could harvest their hides or meat. But there's nothing stopping you from buying hides from another player or meat from the local butcher.

I don't think it's unreasonable that anyone seeking to harvest resources by themselves should also be able to defend themselves from the local wildlife. None of which factors into the processing or production level of crafting.

Logain and Vaentorian like this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Crafting and gathering are totally different professions. I don't want to craft at all, but I love to gather. Might I propose buying materials... I will only ask a fair price. Oh and please don't ask to nerf what makes gathering fun.

8. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Would be much more fun if not all would be able to see the nodes!

Let's say we have a geology that would decide if I can see/discover the a note, higher yeald nodes would demand higher geology level. That way a good gatherer would be able to find nodes in more safer areas.

9. Bjorn Fellhand

Bjorn Fellhand Avatar

I thought I read long ago that combat would not be required for crafting, and I guess I assumed that gathering was part of the crafting process. I would like for my character to be able to support himself as a crafter. Combat is not my idea of fun. I can see, though, that it makes sense that a carpenter might not be the one to cut down the tree and mill boards, and a tailor might not also be a hunter to gather hides.

Aeryk, Logain, Tahru and 1 other person like this.
  10. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

there should be easy stuff to gather and there should be hard stuff to gather, if you don't want trouble with the hard part of the hard stuff to gather you can always pay someone else too.

Logain and Tahru like this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

What we all need to understand is the game is NOT designed so that one person cn do it all alone, It will and should take a village (like raising a child) to really succeed in the game :)

Gathering, Fighitng, Crafting, all will rpob need teamwork :)

Logain, Moonshadow and Tahru like this.
  12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Amen brother. Don't know why it is so hard for people to realize that they are not supposed to do everything in OPO mode. Maybe people are confusing SP offline game design. People that do everything themselves in multiplayer mode are actually not helping the make the experience better.

13. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

As half the game has to be designed with ONE player in mind, you're a little off the mark here.

Morkul likes this.
  14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This brings to mind a very interesting question about SP offline mode. I wonder if there will be difficulty levels for those people that don't want to fight mobs much.

15. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I would expect there will be. But, expectations can be off or foiled so easily...

16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I just posted this question. It seems like a no brainer to me to have a few different difficulty modes in SP offline. I was surprised to hear that some don't want any combat, but that just goes to show what an incredibly diverse group of supporters we are. It is a tribute and a curse, :)

17. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

Tahru

May I put you on my friends list for when the time comes when my friends and I need some help gathering widgets for our gizmos? We will pay or barter with yo or your guild/town for a fair price.

Logain, majoria70 and Tahru like this.
  18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I would be honored. I go by Tahru Seras!

Ghengis Kahn and majoria70 like this.
  19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

You actually can do it all, i tried. I think pure crafters will be possible but you will either need to be a talented trader or part of a group and in both cases.. patient.

Tahru likes this.
  20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Uhm, I have seen your place. You are definitely the exception to the rule. They should add a new title for people that excel to your level, something like Themotastic! :cool:

Spoon, Logain and Themo Lock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.