Rare hats data revealed in the R15 hangout

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spoon, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

No, you're insinuating that 90% of the backers don't care about the game because they're not after a bunch of hats and that whatever their reasons they should be obligated to play every release to prove that they care about the game.

If I didn't have a guild that could benefit from me selling the darn things off later on I wouldn't even bother with them. That doesn't mean I'm not as enthusiastic about the game as the next person. I also skipped playing several releases.. doesn't mean I'm not going to be here in 1-2 years.

Heradite, tekkamansoul and Tahru like this.
  2. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

I think any cosmetic item is more or less pointless to something like "crystal sword" "phoenix armor" etc; the purpose of these rares is cosmetic effect.

Basing hat collection rates on anything shows a player base that has more or less already dropped to the effect of 1,2,3 x of what it was at its highest rates of accumulation. That said, not everyone wants a cosmetic item, and their appeal is somewhat subjective.

When I pick things up, i am mostly thinking about their use. You know, like a sword kills stuff. So if it's a good sword, I want it.

A hat, pretty sure I did this in tf2. sounds familiar *coughs* but ignoring that, and going with sota spirit. Who doesn't love a monthly quest to walk around? maybe scout new spawns? see something new?

I think the game as it is would profit greatly from newer/more-er quests even returns. as far as the hats... eh...

what they really outted with the statistics is now realizing they created a "hoax" or like a "hoaxed-tier-system" in rarity. or more or less numbers people will cite later for "rarity" when trying to pawn these items off on people as "legendary" "epic" "super rares"

Tahru likes this.
  3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I will buy your hats day one, episode one.

TheMadHermit and Tahru like this.
  4. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

I don't really like hats to be honest, they mess with our hairstyles.

My hats will most likely be thrown into the back of my wardobe, where they'll stay unless I feel like accessorising for social purposes or dressing up in silly costumes.

Don't care about "rares".

I would rather we could earn bit of deco for our houses, or dresses, or something more interesting than hats (which mess up our hair).

Tahru, Kara Brae and -sCo- like this.
  5. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I'd say that 1000+ of anything is not a super rare. I think the HoB cabinets take that cake. But it will be interesting to see the prices that these fetch in say a year or 10.

majoria70, Tahru and Jatvardur like this.
  6. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

i'll keep that in mind themo, but also bare in mind you're talking to someone who knows you'll try to low-ball them before the prices hype up over the years ;)

my point was that more or less, there's a rather large hat-con. and in lines with lollie ;;; there are plenty of items that are more suited or more aptly regarded then a "hat"

Tahru likes this.
  7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

How much you paying? ;)

Tahru likes this.
  8. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Sorry, I meant more that you should use SPO to get the hat in the PVP zones. No one else is there hence easy to grab (this could be changed in future). I didn't mean that you shouldn't play in MPO at all other times. :)

Envy has been around since the beginning and likes to post pvp kill videos, so it was just a guess! Edit: see above poster. ;)

Tahru and Siren like this.
  9. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

And all that depends on if they screw the game up or not.

Ice Queen and Tahru like this.
  10. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

As little as possible of course ^.^

Tahru and High Baron O`Sullivan like this.
  11. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

or your hair. :D

Tahru likes this.
  12. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Agreed that HoB is probably rarer and definitely more desired. Would be good to know what its supply number is.

I think hats have good rarity.

Tahru and High Baron O`Sullivan like this.
  13. no_excuses_its_released

no_excuses_its_released Avatar

I think we already know the answer...

Tahru likes this.
  14. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I have a friend who's involved in the game, plays the releases on occassion, etc. I told him the hats could be valuable later on - he doesn't really care, just got one so far, despite him having backed a game before it came out. I think there's tons of folks that have backed that intend to play but don't over-much about testing the game. So the hats data doesn't seem unencouraging to me.

Unique logins would be interesting data - I'd be happy if it were even 10% of backers.

Remember, many people can't take playtesting an incomplete game - some of us have fun re-playing, exploring it as it comes out, etc. Some folks don't or at least won't every release.

Spoon, Jatvardur, Tahru and 1 other person like this.
  15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The grinch comment was a reference to you not believing in the Xmas effect on the Yule hat's popularity.

And I'd disagree with the realist part in this context. You are claiming that the rate at which people are claiming a vanity hat, with little practical use outside RP, during testing, is an indicator on the popularity of the game.
    That isn't realistic.
    I already pointed to a more realistic data that could predict unpopularity during testing phase - the Player Marketplace.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  16. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

HoB cabinets is a rare that I missed and would like to buy once we are live with ep1. What is not missing in my collection is the oracle statue head that was sold 392 pcs.

Jatvardur likes this.
  17. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Well, I think the increased December numbers are not only connected to the holiday season, but also to the Steam launch of SotA.
    Attractivity is limited for sure - also in UO not everyone collects rares.
    People with limited storage space will run also into an issue collecting those. I assume it would improve, if each of the hats would come with its own additional bank slot.
    The hat as house deco would still be an option, if we can mount each item on wall (drop each item, lock down, z-axis rotation required) or equip our vendors/servants with those.
    And about the "made it harder intentionally" fact, since I pull more than my main account through the quest chain, it cannot only be hard, but annoying and frustrating, if you have to visit places which greet you with instant kill while you still lookup for the tour guide unless the character is somewhat trained up and equipped well and you don't experience too much lag.
    I also wonder, how many of these hats are in the hand of unique players ;)

*Salute*
    Olahorand

Jatvardur and Gaelis like this.
  18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Lol
    You remember the swamp? Where one had to dash and distract the liches away from the guide, then die resurrect, cross fingers, dash for guide before something killed it...

My guesstimate is about third-half of the hats are multi accounts.
    But testing is testing. It's server load and such, doesn't matter if it's multi accounts.

Oh and I think that the oracle head was too common in the chests so people tired of them in the shop.
    If it had felt rarer in the game I think it would have sold more. (Reported it at the time).

Duke Olahorand likes this.
  19. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

I have all the hats, but the difficulty has ramped up significantly since they began; the latest took me about 3 hours to find solo, although I timed it to to be outside of school and work hours to ensure the PvP zones were empty and thus didn't have to deal with any PKs. The reasons for the increased difficulty are;

* Moving the Tour Guides to behind scenery so they can't be seen so easily from a distance
    * Much harder creatures near them; a beginning character (or one not too developed; I'm in the Royal Founder plate but damage seems more based on hit points than gear so far) would get constantly 1 or 2 shotted by the vines in the Shardfalls. I was slowed down by first identifying where the Tour Guide was, then working out a route to it. In this last release, it was near the zone entry point but I had to dodge past 2 vines to get to it.
    * Lowering performance due to increasing game complexity but no optimisation; Ardoris was a chokepoint this time to get the the new lands, but ran appallingly on my system, and added a huge amount of time to moving around
    * Random encounters further slow you down, as does inconsistent visual clues to where difficult terrain to cross is. I'd often slow to a crawl on clear stone lanes.
    * The weight limit at low levels is very, very small. If you wanted to harvest resources or carry loot or move your Backer Rewards about, you'd be going even slower.
    * The lack of clear notification of where a particular zone was also slowed me down; I could have googled it, but the point is to test the game itself as it currently appears.

So, without a global in game map, or clear town directions, my experience was that to escape Ardoris, I swam across the sea, followed the aqueduct and then climbed the hill on the West coast to leave (the real exit is by the Oracle, I deliberately came back in from outside to locate it). Due to the slow overland movement, it took me about an hour to walk up the Western coast, and look in the required zones, or try and get into the ones that might be the mines. It was another hour or so after that up the east coast, and I was still a city missing for the hat, Solania. That turned out to be above the swamps, but not clearly marked; I found it in the end by looking around the woods because they had a similar name, but I found another city with a very, very similar name (Solanis was it?) before that. And then I had to criss cross the streets trying to find the Tour Guide himself. I notice Street Names are now intended... that'll be a help!

So I'm not surprised successful achievement of hats (which isn't the same as enthusiasm for the game itself) has gone down...

20. Azur

Azur Avatar

Agreed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.