Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

PVE should not impact PVP

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I don't know if this is happening, but I don't want it to.

If someone is not flagged for PVP, they should not be able to...

1. Heal someone that is flagged for pvp.
    2. Unstealth someone that is flagged for pvp.
    3. Cast light on someone that is flagged for pvp.
    Etc...

Tahru, Kaisa, smack and 9 others like this.
  2. Majesticon

Majesticon Avatar

it is very common for someone flagged for open PVP to run around with a blue healer

3. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

Makes sense to me. Think it would be better to not let them do it at all or go like in WoW where if they do it auto-flags them too?

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I would much rather people have to commit to open PvP than hide behind not being flagged until the last second.

5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I agree totally... for a change...

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Auto flagging is a good solution.
    Yes you can still use it to your advantage. But at least it gets them into pvp at some point.

Abydos likes this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

In this environment I prefer blocking pve from engaging in pvp completely. Pick a lane.

I've only seen exploitation as the byproduct of auto flagging. Most of the time it's the way solo pvpers get n00bs to flag pvp so they can kill the unsuspecting or the weak.

8. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

By definition, this means it is not a good solution. I agree with the OP here.

KuBaTRiZeS and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

It's a fast and solide solution.
    Every other solution (I would prefer) is either complicated or bad for gameplay.

10. Verit

Verit Avatar

You should have to be flagged for PvP to engage in any PvP actions, including healing.
    I also think that auto-flagging is not the best solution. Players should have to flag themselves by regular means prior to entering a battle.
    If you want PvP, flag yourself.
    If not, stay out of it.

Ravicus Domdred and Chatele like this.
  11. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I agree..... I do not want to PVP and will not heal or interact in any fashion that is PVP related .... except to say Hello :) :)

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  12. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

We have been over this before at least a dozen times and probably just need to add it to the known issues list. Yes, this is not how it will work long term. Long term it will either infect the non-PVP person with the PVP flag temporarily OR joining a party will set your PVP flag to what the party leader has after a 30 second wait period. Leaving the party also have a wait period before you flag resets to your normal flag.

13. Drocis the Devious

Thanks for the post.

I feel kind of boxed in here.

If I say "I don't like either of those solutions", which I don't. You'll probably say, "well just wait and see how they work first". And I'll say, I don't need to wait, I've played Darkfall and several other games and I know how that will work.

But then you'll say, "If we need to make changes we will." And I'll say, "Why don't we start with a base plan like just not allowing PVE to have any actions on a PVP player, period?" And I don't know what you'll say to that or why we wouldn't want to do that? I suppose the social actions would be cut off somewhat and it would "segregate pve from pvp", but if that's what we need to do so that "blue healer" type activity isn't performed in the game - ever, then I say let's start there.

Please understand Chris, it's not that I like making posts about this stuff, but I feel compelled to say something as opposed to just think "they have it all sorted out". That's my only motivation, making a great game.

So again, thanks for the post. I hope you can at least see my side of it as a fan. I don't have any idea what you guys are thinking, and then sometimes like now when you tell me I have to scratch my head and go "what?!" But UO, Darkfall, Shadowbane, PVP history, what?!

I guess that's what makes this collaborative environment difficult.

Because that's the next evolution of PVP. When everyone finally gets "pvp competitive" after grinding the heck out of their characters. And when everyone has 500 hit points. That's going to be the deciding factor. "Hey, I stink at PVP and Drocis is killing me now. Hey buddy, come over here and heal me when you're not flagged for pvp and that way it will be like I have 1000 hit points!"

smack and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  14. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We know that we need a solution for this. We will try to get something in for R23.

15. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

But but... that was the most fun, RPing a duel gone wrong, a thief running in the night through the middle of the town, only to lure in the unsuspecting person to attack him and get flagged. But I digress, the devs have stated time and time again that YOU WILL get a warning before engaging in PvP. So all this nonsense about "auto-flagging" can go suck an egg. Sorry to rain on the parade!

16. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

In SWTOR, if you buff or heal someone who is flagged, you get flagged yourself.

17. Drocis the Devious

Yeah, that's what I don't want. It seems like such a great system, but what people do is they bait you so you'll flag.

Then you get people that don't want to pvp, but were really just trying to help out in the middle of something they can't possibly imagine how to get out of. Then they get spawn camped and rage quit. Fun for the whole family.

The other problem with this is you let people perform crimes of opportunity. There are 1 million examples of this, but here's my favorite one.

You are going to fight player X, it's just the two of you in a fair fight. But oh wait, 5 people from his guild are there in the background and as soon as the fight happens they all flag themselves pvp instantly so they can gank you. If you show back up with more people, they're already flagged back to non-pvp and they just laugh at you.

It's like a mobile accountability dodge, you only go pvp when you know you can win.

18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

In SWTOR, you can see their flag status by the color of their name. It is hard to bait someone saying "heal me, heal me!"

Quickly people learn that if you don't want to be flagged, you need to look at who you are healing.

But it makes the game fair, that if I'm healing some in PvP, then I'm taking a side in the PvP and I should be fair game as well.

19. Nord

Nord Avatar

I think it's worth pointing out that WOW no longer auto flags except when you enter a PVP zone like an enemy base or city. So before you can heal or attack someone who is flagged for PVP you must flag yourself. Also when zoning players are unflagged.

20. Drocis the Devious

I feel like anyone that wants to help people in pvp needs to FIRST take the risk of being in pvp. I don't like people sitting on the sidelines and knowing all the risks involved and THEN making a calculated decision to join the 'fight'. That's what I have a problem with.

Ristra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.