POT Choice to remove Single Player Online Mode

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Poor game design, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Because of the last 13 pages where I've explained my reasoning.

You keep saying this and I keep saying I think you're wrong. We disagree, I understand.

2. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

If a player entered your town in SPO, but for the sake of argument, did nothing would you even know about it? No. Does that affect your play style? No.

The other way your play style (if we can call it that) is that if player exits your town from MPO and escapes through SPO. Otherwise, I don't see the issue. But given that people aren't allowed to attack you in your own town it seems you have nothing to worry about.

I can see you are being oppressed.

My play style is deep RP and heavily based on forum activity. Whenever I respond to your posts I can't play the game which breaks immersion. I feel like I'm being excluded from sota. It is really unfair.

:rolleyes:

3. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Now that's a well reasoned post and is greatly appreciated. Obviously if all discussions were like that we'd have a perfect community. ;-)

Part of the reasons I picked up on your rigid use of the word 'owned' because it mimicked that of the OP. I see it as word games in order to win a debate.

I understand that your game won't be affected, at least with regards to one town. If it were true in general then I'd be a little bit more worried. That's my opinion too, of course.

serolrom likes this.
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You disagree that SotA should be consensual PvP? Or that your POT should be? Nothing you can do will ever change PvP being consensual. All you can do is ban anyone that does not wish to PvP.

If they gave you rights to go outside the rules set in place in any other part of the game world just because you paid real money you know what topic that's going bring in.

5. Drocis the Devious

It does impact my playstyle. I can't RP or PVP without other people, so if other people are going into my RP/PVP POT then that defeats the purpose of the town.

It's like Portalarium making a game and then people playing it without paying for it. It defeats the purpose of making the game.

I can't prevent people from attacking me in my town, I can only make them pay for it.

Your attempted humor has been noted.

6. Drocis the Devious

I absolutely agree that SOTA PVP should be consensual. I have no argument about that.

My POT is consensual PVP. If you don't want to PVP then you don't enter into it.

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Correction: your POT is PvP in OPO.

It's the same for 100% of the rest of the game. SPO is not PvP anywhere and it's not limited anywhere else. For a reason.

8. Drocis the Devious

Semantics. You can't have PVP in single player online mode, and my POT is PVP. So there's a breakdown in the logic that needs fixed. When I purchased the POT I wanted it for PVP, not to provide a single player online exploration hang out.

9. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

If your town sucks then no one will come regardless of the mode. If players only came to your town in SPO then clearly something would be wrong. Consider where that fault would lie. Hint: it isn't with them.

If your town was buzzing with activity in MPO then you'd have nothing to complain about (well...), as you'd have plenty of people to interact with. In such a scenario it would make no difference to you whether people also visited your town in SPO. Think you are moving the goal posts though.

10. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

You also bought the town with the knowledge that it was possible to visit towns in SPO. If you were that worried about it you would have raised that concern before buying it. Nothing was missold.

11. Drocis the Devious

You're missing the entire point. I believe the best chance for my town to succeed is to have no single player mode. I believe SPO in a PVP zone cuts away at the lure and point of the town. We disagree. But unless I can disable SPO for my town, then I don't even get an opportunity to be proven right or wrong.

Since it's my town, I think I should have that opportunity.

12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I think that if Drocis wants his town this way he should get it this way. Why does everyone have to be so concerned about it. I don't think there was any knowledge about single player going into pvp areas. I think the only reference we have is the shardfalls and at the time pots came out they did not want single player in shardfalls. Hell we still don't know if at launch we will be able to go into shardfalls in single player. One solution I can think of to cure this mess is that if you have a pvp tag you are foced into Multiple player online. If you go into a shardfall then you have to flag yourself. If you flag yourself then you go into MPO.

13. Drocis the Devious

I didn't claim that I was duped. There's a lot about POTs we just don't know yet. Anyone that bought a POT was taking a leap of faith that the developers would support POT owners as best they could. I'm just asking for support.

14. Drocis the Devious

I like the idea that people can visit Rats Nest without being flagged normally. I think that's fair. I would simply like Rats Nest to give people a choice as they click to enter and if they choose YES to enter, then they're open to pvp. It's pretty simple and I think it's fair. Of course if they choose NO then they just don't enter.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Reapply that logic to the full game.

When I bought the game I bought it for PvP. We don't get to decide how everyone else plays. That's how SPO/FPO/OPO works.

16. Drocis the Devious

Unlike the game, which would exist if I bought it or not, Rats Nest wouldn't exist if I didn't buy it. I'm the owner of it. There's a clear difference between your copy of the game and my ownership of Rats Nest.

SPO/FPO/and OPO work the way the developers design them, and I'm asking for the design to be a specific way for Rats Nest. There's nothing wrong with that because that decision is between me and Portalarium. Portalarium has the ultimate say, but I'm the only one that can request it to be one way or the other for my POT.

17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Translation: The devs are wrong. SotA can not survive without full open PvP. So let me go outside the rules as designed and make my own rules in my POT. It's my money.

The elephant in the room that you choose to ignore is the devs want SPO. Even in full PvP zones.

18. Drocis the Devious

I'll let the devs speak for themselves. I can speak for myself too, I don't need to be translated. I'm not speaking in another language.

Actually I don't think SOTA needs PVP to survive at all. I think SOTA could drop PVP forever and not miss a step. I do think that Rats Nest needs PVP to survive and SPO ruins "real pvp" as I see it, and that's why I'm asking for support from the devs.

In defense of PVP, I think SOTA would be a better game with it than without it. But the market niche for PVP is not what SOTA is going after, and it's not something that would be missed by the average SOTA player (imo). HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it's not a meaningful pursuit or that it couldn't be advantageous to the success of this game if done well. I'm very unique in the fact that I've put my money where my mouth is and have done everything I can to support PVP existing well in SOTA.

Which is why I look forward to seeing what the developers can do for Rats Nest to make it the best PVP POT it can be.

Alley Oop likes this.
  19. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

I agree with the good Baron.

I don't even like the Single Player feature. At all. It's macro heaven. Go to sleep, wake up 5-10 adventure levels higher with an inventory full of items to junk for ~$25,000 gold. Just seems silly for the successor to a game like UO.

eidt: to be clear, what I don't like about it is the shared assets / economy.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

They will probably never respond to this thread.

You are asking to be able to create rule that are outside of the rules for the rest of SotA based on the belief that you spent money so you should be able to design the game.

More tools to frame PvP within the existing rules is one thing. Tools to break the rules, eh, maybe the devs do have a price and can be bought.

Maybe they should add that to the store. Buy a POT and with an extra fee you can alter the game any way you want. Make a super hero theme POT or something.

Melissa and Jatvardur like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.