POT Choice to remove Single Player Online Mode

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Poor game design, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

As the owner of a PVP town, I need the power to permanently remove single player mode from my POT.

There are no good reasons to have single player online mode in a pvp area, but as a POT owner I should have a choice to remove this unbalanced exploitative mechanic from impacting my town and the residents within.

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Oh if we all could remove things that we don't like....how does this affect anything? What other powers do you think you need?

amaasing, Colgarra, Alexander and 3 others like this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Or, make changing to/from SPO boot you to the world map, thus no "PvP exploit"

Other than being able to pop into the middle of the town, what harm does having a SPO player in your town do?

4. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

I have to agree with the Baron on this one. I don't PvP but being able to safely navigate a hostile environment is, maybe exploit isn't the right word, but wrong for sure. It would basically be the same as walking into the Tower of the Shuttered Eye, but there were no mobs. You could just walk to the top safely and loot the chests with zero worry. I'd say if you flag your town as PvP it is just not accessible when in single player mode. Should be an easy check of an already tracked option.

5. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I can see the problem in a PvP area like the shardfalls. There if we allow single players to access the area there should be diminished resources available to singles for balancing reasons. But what exactly is the exploit in a PvP POT? Isn't a single player just staring at an empty town? I mean, how will you even know he's there?

6. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

Exactly. The single player successfully avoided being pick pocketed, killed and looted, followed home for who knows what nefarious reasons in a zone specifically designed to promote said game play. They don't see anyone but don't have to worry about anyone as well, which is the issue.

7. Drocis the Devious

What happens when said player is using single player mode to walk successfully to their home? What happens when said player walks to the center of town in single player mode, then switches modes to multiplayer to get to their guild house?

In the case of my POT, I don't want anything to do with single player mode. Not because I'm trying to make people play in multiplayer mode, but because my POT is designed to be challenging for the people that live there and visit there. I don't appreciate an easy mode being allowed for the tourists. If you want to visit my town and you're worried about the risk, then hire someone to protect you.

8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I love your idea of what easy mode is....don't worry I will never enter your PoT.

Jatvardur likes this.
  9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

OK but how is this actually to their advantage? And why will single players even go into PVP POTs which from their point of view are just empty towns? Sorry if m being dense but I don't get it.

Colgarra, StarLord, Solazur and 2 others like this.
  10. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I believe the issue is using SPO to bypass any danger by traveling to a PvP location, getting where you want to go, then logging out of SPO and logging into Multiplayer when you are away from the danger zone. So, for example, anyone living in or visiting a PvP town could use this to bypass a war in the area. Slip past everyone to your house for example, drop off stuff, leave and head back to multi-player. This is the same kind of thing others have been a bit peeved about for places where you have hard-to-get crafting materials in a PvP zone, but oops, you can switch to SPO and avoid the hassle of PvP.

If the purpose of a PvP town is to actually have PvP, then SPO seems an exploit that will be used.

Or imagine a scenario where you do have a war going on and you can have players appear in the town just by using SPO to get past any guards, then materialize in Multi-player. Oops, that seems like an exploit to me. Especially if full loot comes to SotA, yikes. Exploit SPO will be the friend of anyone who wants to gank and run. Just my thoughts.

***Edit - a solution would be to have a message, "You are entering a PvP Town, do you wish to continue?" If the answer is *Yes* and the player is in SPO then the message could then be, "You must be in multi-player online to enter."

Womby, Ember, Colgarra and 5 others like this.
  11. Browncoat Jayson

A non-issue as I see it, but I did offer a solution above. Changing modes should remove them from the town. Problem solved.

Really, changing modes should remove you from any scene, and be locked so it can only be performed rarely (4 hour timer). Folks shouldn't be popping into and out of SPO; it's designed to be a play style, not a workaround to a encounter.

12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

there are already scenes that exist that, if you switch to/from spo deep within it, it lets you but it bumps you back to the scene entrance. no popping up in the center of town having walked there in single player. the tech exists, just ask for it to apply to pvp-flagged towns.

13. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I agree with what you say. But while it may be a non-issue for you (or me for that matter since I don't PvP) it is still a potential issue for PvP-PoT owners like Drocis. As it stands, SPO currently *can* be used as an exploit. It currently *can* be used at will with no timer. This goes beyond people going into areas to farm crafting materials and spills over into the whole purpose of PvP towns.

I may not be a PvPer or always agree with the PvP mindset, but I do agree that unless something is changed, it's going to be nasty business in the future.

14. Browncoat Jayson

As far as limiting SPO in PVP POTs, consider this: you can get the same effect by putting a few of the folks living in that POT on ignore, then playing in FPO. So are you going to force everyone entering your POT to enter OPO?

Good luck with that. "Shroud of the Avatar, now featuring not-so-selectively online play options..."

15. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

That's great. I was just throwing some ideas out there as to what I saw for potential problems. I said my piece so I'm out :)

Roper Docholiday likes this.
  16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    just as they state, what is the problem with the being there. Well I say the problem is there are looters and killers about. If a person payed for a PvP scene, then it should be a pvp scene, not a single player, FPO, but a multiplayer PvP area. Otherwise, do not enter.

Womby, Enfo and Duchess Fionwyn like this.
  17. Browncoat Jayson

Oh, I agree. I'm not a PvPer, but I can see the problems. I just don't think calling for limiting others play style to enhance my own is the way to enact change. Finding a mechanic that is fair in all situations, not just in PVP, makes more sense to me. Especially, as @Alley Oop mentioned, those mechanics already exist and can be reapplied.

Colgarra likes this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

This is my last post on this subject.

As a PVP POT owner, I feel like I should have the option to make the town disable single player online mode in my POT. I'm not talking about anyone elses POT, although I have strong feelings about the entire game. But for the purposes of this discussion, I feel like my POT should be under my control and if I don't want single player mode to work there, it shouldn't work there.

My POT doesn't work well if single player mode is allowed in it - there's just too many exploits, and my POT is all about PLAYER vs. PLAYER, it has nothing to do with PVE or single player mode.

19. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack has no idea what the issue could be. Can the OP produce an exact and clear scenario of the issue? Captain Jack never has to go into a Player's town for anything, correct? So, if nothing important is in that town, and Captain Jack is in it in SPO, and you never see Captain Jack in SPO... if a tree falls in the woods?

Jatvardur and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  20. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack is trying to understand this part. Why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.