Devs: for the love of crafting/gathering...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by QTIP, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QTIP

QTIP Avatar

PLEASE reduce the amount of time it takes to harvest a node.... nothing like spending 32 seconds per node at 41% to get a harvest fail. I don't mind the 41% or any percentage for that matter, but the time to gather is rather ridiculous.

I say make it a flat 5 second timer and have your skill/tool dictate your success rate. Adding a timer is overkill.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Jordizzle, Epona, Brandhor and 14 others like this.
  2. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I think a general rule should be, anything that takes more than 5-10 seconds should have some sort of interactivity to pass the time.. (like a mini game/ or just any involvement other than staring at a timer).

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Nope keep it up and make them train the faster gathering skill.

Devs Keep up the AWSOME work on keeping a game that will survive, and last a while, one that will have player actually playing the game and working to make it better long after the first two months, and not on where all content is beaten down and all equipment is maxed out :)

4. Apollox Evanheart

Apollox Evanheart Avatar

I think keeping it up will weed out the ones who gather, compared to the ones who just buy the mats. Therefore keeping the cost reasonable for buying/selling. Those who put the work in will enjoy greater benefits due to a stable economy.

Beli, Miracle Dragon, FrostII and 4 others like this.
  5. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

Make PvP take 4 hrs to kill some one and 35 sec. to swing your weapon and 45 sec. to cast a spell. I don't PvP and I doubt that these people that want no change in Crafting/Harvesting do either one.
    People seem to want to do a lot of trolling and it is not appreciated at all. So... I couldn't care less what they do to PvP players but if the Dev's want just the people that has paid a lot of money on this game to be the only ones that play. Well..... Just don't fix the harvest time and amount of resources harvested. A lot of us came to this game for PvE and Crafting. I want to make items to sell on a vendor. Not spend all my time harvesting. I had a job and retired. I want a game that I can have fun and relax with.
    Just like UO. I also want you PvP'ers to enjoy the game. Don't try to make it bad for us that want to do other things. If it is not changed by release. I for one will be going back to Guild Wars 2.

6. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Anything that makes the gathering less tedious would be appreciated. I don't mind fail rates and training up stuff, but the sheer down time to gaming and the likelihood of being interrupted by mobs with asinine aggro zones (I've had something from out of visible distance charge me while harvesting cotton) make it much more of a chore than an enjoyable game element. Alternatively, if you want a disgustingly long down time, put in a mini-game or something to pass the time besides having to alt-tab from the game to read news articles or check the forums.

Or alternatively, just follow @Gramps suggestion and make combat as tedious as harvesting so both types of player get the same level of enjoyment. 8^)

7. smack

smack Avatar

If it's 32 seconds and you're a grandmaster, sure that may be a problem. But I doubt that and you likely haven't trained Swift Gathering enough to reduce that time.

The time it takes to gather, your success rate, the amount of resources gathered, and the quality of those resources, has always been dependent on your skill and/or tools. You're going to have to specialize.

Having said that, perhaps they can allow partial gathering. Rather than waiting the full time, you can stop mid-way but receive some partial amount.

If there are mobs around, you're going to have to clear out the area. The R24 Player Guide clearly calls this out. If the aggro range seems unreasonable, /bug it.

I do like the idea of an interactive mini-game that can work towards reducing the time or increasing the quantity or quality, or success rate, as additional factors to reward those that are engaged vs. passive ones (or bots).

Miracle Dragon and 4EverLost like this.
  8. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

As a gatherer/crafter, I don't mind that it takes long or is the way it is currently. And I know when I say this, a lot of people would not agree with this - but then again, I figure a lot of people don't like infinity evolved hc either:rolleyes:

That said, in gathering I think it would not be so bad, if instead of just waiting for the timer to be up to see if we succeed, (like others suggest) if we had mini games put in - it would be more entertaining. And require our attention more so we couldn't afk as much - harvesting a tree in 7 days to die is a pay-attention moment. Look away and you might be dead when the tree falls on you. I wouldn't mind this:D. Something similar to this could be incorporated into crafting - maybe we could prevent the loss of the material if we participate in the mini-game - blow the bellows harder to keep the flame up (click your mouse button like mad), maybe you can wipe up the spilled chemicals before it ruins the hides you're tanning (click like mad again), and so on and so forth.

And regarding the pvp comment, there is another discussion going on there too regarding grind and the need to do it to be competitive vs not wanting to need the grind and getting to be competitive. Only problem is, in that thread, those that do the grind getting the result is ok vs those that don't want to do the grind are so not ok. At least, that's the feel I was getting from it - so, quite opposite of our situation as crafters/gathers. @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos would agree with you, the grind is no fun. :D

9. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I am aware of this, but when mobs respawn before I'm able to clear a node due to how long it takes (yes being slightly sarcastic, but I have had repops while harvesting)... that is no bueno. I believe there are already a few bug reports on the insane aggro zones but that has little to do with the massive waste of time harvesting is (haven't GM swift harvesting yet so I can't comment on how reasonable the wait time is).

My complaint is that making a game mechanic tedious for the sake of being tedious until you've invested days (real days not in game days) to be able to make it passable. It is annoying and a waste of time to have to kill 30-45 seconds waiting for the game to catch up to being playable again. We claim we don't want to just be like all the millions of MMOs out there, yet we follow their example in node gathering, except most of the ones I've played are faster than ours... so apparently our difference is to make it worse. Yes, swift gathering may alleviate it somewhat, but designing a mechanic to screw those who aren't GM yet in order to justify a GM rating is not the best direction to go there. I'm not wanting instant successes (crits should not instantly open loot window, it should give better drops, but that's a different complaint), but a better use of player's time would make more sense. I would also like to see crafting at tables actually take time, but not the horrid amounts gathering does. Instant is unrealistic and makes for dull gameplay as much as the current tedious time amounts do.

My comment was not in regards to PvP (I know one of the earlier ones was), but just combat in general vs gathering/crafting. But having said that, I have agreed with him on a number of post about the tedious grind (as obviously indicated by my stance in this one). Games are meant to be played, not ignored while waiting for time to pass.

Having said that, your solution is one I would strongly advocate (and have in other posts) because it gives something to do during the abysmal waste of time. I wouldn't necessarily do the click fest (I've always hated rapid button QTEs) but some sort of minigame to make the hideous waste more fun and keep me IN the game instead of on my second screen is desperately needed. Could even have GM for the gathering skill allow more mistakes to be ignored, or give bonus points to the mini-game completion or whatnot and have the score help derive your end resources or something. I would also do a skip button for those that don't want to mini-game and just want to rely on the RNG for their skill level (so both sides have the chance to play how they want).

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    Royou, Scraps, Miracle Dragon and 4 others like this.
  10. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I know yours wasn't ;)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Anyone trying to make this about ANYTING PvP is a troll, I am sorry but he/she must be blocked by me.

As for the whininh about not being able to gather fast enough you HAVE to understand that the get it "NOW" mentality is not going to fly here.

The game is being designed to take a WHILE to become proficient in ANYTHING, even for those cazy grinders.

Tring to change this just isn't going to happen.

If you want to harvest faster in iron ore raise your swift gathering, the time will get ALOT faster, Also meticulous collection and get more each time.

As for something to pass the time???? Look at your skills, see what you can do to be more proficient, read a tutorial or watch a video on gathering, Or better yet, MAKE one of your training and show others your pain and how you plan to overcome it.

12. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I specifically said :
    So your extreme want it "NOW" comment seems like you didn't actually READ what I wrote.

Also, if your philosophy were used, swing a sword (or any weapon) or magic spell should also take a SIGNIFICANTLY longer time until you were more experienced in using it. That is obviously not the case.

As for your comment about how to waste time, I already do those things. I feel it is bad to have a game mechanic that takes people OUT of the game.

13. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Add me to the leave it like it is camp. The harvest time can be greatly reduced by training swift gathering. Turn the other skills off until gathering speed is adequate. Then start training your mining skills, meticulous gathering and survey. I do, however think that there needs to be a few more mining nodes in the easier areas for beginners to work on.

14. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

One of the problems with grinding as a crafter/gather is - we can't party to share the exp. Or can we? Because in combat, as was said by someone who would know in The Grind thread, party vs solo grind has a significant gap in exp accumalation.

Crafting/Gathering is mostly a solitary experience so perhaps this makes it seem even longer - I do both of these things alone (combat and crafting) so I don't see much of a different:p. Not that I think sharing experience in gathering/crafting should be a thing, but just trying to see another reason why it might seem longer.

Wonders - does having a GM crafter/gathering in a party with you while crafting/gathering affect you?:confused:

Moiseyev Trueden and Oba Evesor like this.
  15. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Lock all the skills but Swift Gathering. I'm mining quick enough now that I barely have time to tab out to the forums!! :) (Oh, and I PvP, but not sure what that has to do with this thread:))

Beli, Womby and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  16. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I did that for meticulous instead:p

Oba Evesor likes this.
  17. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

+1 for mini games that improve gathering results and time.

Moiseyev Trueden and smack like this.
  18. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

I believe if you're partied w/someone who's GM in any skill it bumps your XP for that particular skill up. Be it salvaging, mining, tailoring or whatever. Not sure about general party XP tho.

Moiseyev Trueden and 4EverLost like this.
  19. smack

smack Avatar

If spawn rates are faster than your ability to harvest, you have to ask: is the risk/reward balanced? Is the node you're harvesting, at your current skill level, is worth the risk being placed upon it? Should you have leveled more in Swift Gathering so you can be faster than the spawn rate? If you don't feel that is the case, write up a bug saying that node is not balanced. The devs may feel differently, or go, oh yeah, that's too fast even for completely newbs with zero gathering skills. Or they may say, nope, that's how we intended it, so skill up or bring a friend or go to a lower risk/reward node.

You're going to the extremes here. Nobody's expecting you to be a GM, as there's a wide range to cover from newb to GM in terms of how long it takes to gather (and how much is gathered each time, etc). Even a few skill points in Swift Gathering is going to help as the gains towards GM have diminishing returns. Have you tried training in Swift Gathering yet?

20. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

OK I respect everyone talking about Swift Gathering as if shocked that I wouldn't say its the best thing since sliced bread, and yes I do have it and use it. Its currently on par with my other skill levels in the various harvesting skills I use (a different thread mentioned not seeing improvements to speed or success rates without them all being close together, wasn't sure if that was fixed or not). Unlike mining (which everyone references) where there are places with 15+ nodes within 25 steps of each other and you will never have to wait for a respawn once you get your cycle of harvesting, cotton plants are MUCH further apart so it takes MUCH longer to level the passives in it. This includes grabbing every reagent I can find too (any chance to up that gathering skill). There is also the aspect of having the worst drops rates of any rare (spider carapaces), that makes it a VERY annoying resource to farm (man I hate that carapace), which again is a completely unrelated discussion. But what's the point of farming what EVERYONE else in SotA is farming, i.e. mining. I am dual specialized in skinning and gathering (i.e. light armor). Skinning, no issue finding resources to level up on. Mining (for bindings) is probably the single most massive glut of nodes anywhere (including skinning animals as you don't have to waste time killing things). Harvesting plants is much less able to get the quick level ups in.

And yes I was using hyperbole in regards to a previous comment. There are areas that gather slightly faster and Swift Gathering does make an impact. My comment/complaint is that there is wasted time and it is dull and forces the player out of the game to amuse themselves while waiting for it to complete. A mini-game or minimizing the harvesting time would do a massive amount to keep people in game. I am not wanting an instant harvest (see above comments) but 5-15 seconds is much more reasonable than 30-60 seconds of standing around doing nothing.

The fact they have to implement a mechanic to offset how annoying and dull and tedious it is to gather resources tells you that there is an inherent problem that the devs acknowledge or else why would they have created Swift Gathering.

Scraps and Miracle Dragon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.