Decay: Worst Mechanic Ever

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Themo Lock, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Decay has no place in a non-WoW-WoW-Sims...

It has a place in a TRUE lord British game that makes your heart pound before the game has even loaded.

2. Logain

Logain Avatar

Chris had mentioned that this is already planned and should be working soon. Sorry, my bad, I should have mentioned that this functionality would not only blend in well, but would even be required.

3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

If you've been a blacksmith all your life its doubtful someone can wipe your mind and make you a good flute player huh in a few weeks :p

Snikorts and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

True. But if you are a grand master blacksmith and take a three day vacation from your work after years of toil, do you expect to come back in three days and be rested and ready for better work, or to lose skill?

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'm a grandmaster blacksmith ? :D

-.-

I expect to have a bonus because all my muscles will be rested and ready for action of course :)

I think this kind of decay, if we absolutely need it should be only applied at higher levels... you can't lose your grandmastery but you can lose your extra edge, but only if you train a skill thats kind of opposed to the skill in question, and not over a few days span, but over a month or so...

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

@Chris and @Themo Lock :

How about basing skill decay off of total skill points instead of individual skill points?

Skill decay would only start to apply after gaining total skill points equal to 80% (or some other percent) of the skill points necessary to get all skills to level 100 GM.

Example: Assume there are 20 skills in the game and it takes 1 million points to get each skill to level 100 GM. So to GM every skill would take 20 million points. 80% of 20 million is 16 million. So to GM 80% of the skills would take 16 million skill points. Skill decay would only apply to skill gain above 16 million skill points. If the number of skills in the game changes, just change the skill point cutoff to keep the percentage the same. If 80% GM skill points are reached, the player could choose which skills to let decay while learning new skills.

Skills would still level beyond 100 as they do now, but leveling over 100 would lower the total number of skills that could get to level 100 GM.

How long would it take someone like Themo Lock to level 80% of the skills in SotA to level 100?

Moiseyev Trueden and Themo Lock like this.
  7. Iforgot

Iforgot Avatar

This is a thread about skill loss? Well seeing as how there is a bar for exp, and a lot of it, none of you should be concerned, Decay is there to make sure you keep playing. Stop being entitled little children, UO was fun because it was hard, I do nothing but listen to and have awesome flash backs while I hunt bugs that people may not report as of yet because its beneficiary to them.

Decay, makes you participate in being active play the game and force yourself to redesign yourself as a gamer to maintain your skills.

Be glad you have locks on your skills and some group of Richards (no offense Lord brithish) run by laying all kinds of kindltying down and your 7x gm turns into a 0xgm with massive stat loss, AND ZERO WAY TO GET IT BACK OTHER THEN DOING IT AGAIN.

Sigh you have 21 pages of crying about losing 2% of a 100% bar over a couple days that takes minimal work to throw something you made on a vendor, when there are tiring issues of bugs that need to be found. :( It makes me sad what some people find important.

And now I forgot which bug I needed to report

ahh yes http://www.twitch.tv/blixil/v/29711769 Stealing from dead animals and getting a skill gain is what needed to be reported.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Your post was really hard to read, it needs an edit but no, that is not what the thread is about. Also we do not have skill locks. And people are not keen on being forced to participate in anything, especially when it is not possible for them.

9. Iforgot

Iforgot Avatar

Well here it looks as though it is. Sorry my thought fragments are hard to understand...

Dont level all the skills at once and pick what you want, Skill list of UO was 57 skills, you got to pick 7 or 8 if you wanted to be halfies bad at something. 7 thats it. how many do you want?

And yes you do have skill locks, the skill will only be used if it is needed to keep that other skill you are using up. So yes you do, im sure the level value to level the other skills are not going to be 10, so yeah 7 skills

Also my views are that of a masochist, with integrity that doesn't lie.

10. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I actually don't understand what you are typing (i am not trying to be a jerk). I think you may be confusing a proposed solution for a complaint on existing mechanics though.

11. Iforgot

Iforgot Avatar

No no Im sure I'm reading correctly, your friend didnt log in for 2 weeks lost some xp. Then I saw other people saying they want to play all faccets of the game, and still not have skill decay, and to that I say, if someone is going to practice all day and night with a sword while you choose to go shopping, yeah you're not going to be as good as him.

But if the carebears want no stat loss, then off to trammel (
    tram·mel
    ˈtraməl/
    noun
    1. 1.
      literary
      a restriction or impediment to someone's freedom of action.
    ) lol we go!

12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Ah sorry, i did not realize you just wanted to argue.

13. Iforgot

Iforgot Avatar

@Themo Lock Argue? All I see are people who are thoroughly upset because of skill decay, and if they leave for 2 weeks they expect to not have any? I mean I asked you how many skills do you want to be able to GM?

14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It is not about me, this system will not stop me from GMing everything.. i already have 12 and am close to 6 more. Leaving for 2 weeks gives less decay than playing every day. Read the thread you are commenting on maybe?

15. Iforgot

Iforgot Avatar

" so i go and smelt an ingot and lose a huge chunk of smelting exp. No wonder people are complaining that certain skill seem to go nowhere." So then tell me since I seem to have missed the point of what you said completely . since this is about stat loss. and more than 1 gm skill a day, impressive which ones?

16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Or i could just put you on ignore where you belong so i can finish doing what i am doing.

Ice Queen likes this.
  17. Iforgot

Iforgot Avatar

So where I belong? Sorry Im quoting what you said about what you had gripe about, sorry for whatever serious problem you have against me. So no not going to tell me the 12 gm skills you have, pretty humorous here how you consider me the troll @Themo Lock, when Im just asking you questions.

18. Iforgot

Iforgot Avatar

@Themo Lock also very interesting to see how you react to someone who has little messages posted, to someone who might not have as much knowledge as you. Hope I meet you in a pvp area.

19. Womby

Womby Avatar

Blink and you'll miss it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  20. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Skill decay is a bad mechanic.
    But i understand the reason wy they put it in.
    Having a use based skill system forces some restrictions.
    I think using a use based skill system is interesting but brings to much problems for balancing and having different classes.
    Taming is the perfect exampel for this.

Taming is water down cous since every body can have pets it need to balanced. But this way pets arnt more than regular summons in the core which makes me little bit sad.
    Over all how skill decay works and so i get back to the topic, it is not a good solution at all.

as for @Iforgot if you dont have a problem with it fine but take it as it is that there are a lot of people which dont like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.