Gm Tamer, I believe one of Two. Here are some ideas :-)

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Weins201, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Congrates to Sindariya for being the first :) (( and yeah I had some divine help)) and here are my thoughts (on collars, training, innates, summoning, control, healing ) :) - -

[​IMG]

The change to collar consumption was AWSOME TY

But I feel collars could get ALOT more love; simple leather (cloth) to tame a sheep -> Leather with a binding for a Low Level Wolf -> Leather with a binding and carapace (or Gator Tail, or Aortic thrombus, etc) to specify creature type -> Now add some special Buckles as they go up in levels (Grizly to Patriarch, etc.) -> Now when you get to say like some of the newest most difficult Hardened Leather Strap, Gold Buckle, Carapace, and a Gem or two.

I like the fact that it seems Impossible to tame the ferocious ones unless you are GM or better - please make sure this is true (( <1% = NO CHANCE))

Now I still disagree with the % exp for skill gains and think it will HURT players who just don't play Hardcore but seems to work out ok . . . so possibly bringing me into the fold - - - but something to look at.

Now as for the Innates and the skill tree in general - they need to be linked more directly to the use of the skill more i.e. Taming should raise collar recovery but why should it affect the summoning timer? I know I could turn them on / off when using one or the other but if they can be linked more specifically would be better.

Now as for the Pets - the normalization needs to be looked at. I agree with the reduction in pet strength from pre tame stats but something that is 12% stronger pre tame should not become = to it lesser after tame. The pre tame differences should be carried over not just negated.

Tamers - Some innate that affects control needs to be implemented - As a GM my control over and Obsidian Bear should be almost absolute but a tamer who has no chance of taming should not be able to command one at all. So they should NOT be able to summon it. Or after a certain amount of time a check is made to see if they can maintain control and if they fail it is dismissed - correlate this to taming chance :) I know this will hurt a Tamers ability to make money - but - should a novice tamer (or non tamer at all) be able to just buy a whistle with a ferocious spider on it and go out and have fun - - NOPE

Healing (curing) pets should have some quick buttons like UO has next to the pet so if the skill is up I can just click next to the pet instead of having to change the viable target.

Summoning - the timer needs a HUGE adjustment - one hour really, the innate needs to work ALLOT more like at level 50 it should be like 20 minutes. ALSO if you leave a zone with the pet out and in control the timer should just clear, why should I lose my pet for a huge amount of time just because I was in the crag foothills fighting my way into the mines and when I get into the mine my pet is gone ?????

gtesser, Phydra, Tahru and 9 others like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

One more thing I would L O V E to see - since taming is really a VERY hard skill in regards to resources and other things - how about when you get a successful tame you get 2, 3, or even 4xs Skill gains. Why reward us for a successful tame :)

3. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

As long as Taming is a millionaire skill (or a guild project), restricting which pet you can summon will
    A) hurt everyone who doesn't want to tame, but only use pets
    B) hurt everyone who wants to sell pets, as all the potential customers can't use them and all those who can use them can just tame them themselves.

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

To A - Sorry but to CONTROL the toughest pets you SHOULD have to learn taming - otherwise training the skill has NO purpose but to make money (period) - That is not what a adventuring skill should be used for. So No / Low taming Low level pets only.

B - Not saying you cannot use them and to tame them should still e harder than simply controlling them but for someone who has NO taming they should NO WAY be able to just go out and buy a Ferocious Spider and take it out and fight - There is NO balance there at all - NONE

And now to add to it Yes at some point you should add Healing pets and Ressing pets into the mix - --- --- -

So in the end to control the Ferocious Brown Spider (ATM the toughest pet out there, tamable) You should have - AT LEAST 75 Tame - 25 Creature Heal - AND 5 Creature Resurrection ((AT LEAST)) - Sorry to all those who feel they should just be able to go buy one, and have 1 point in res to keep it if it dies - you should NOT be able to.

There are plenty of pets that you can use to fight to help out your template if you want to use them with NO skill and still have them help, go play with them.

Taming take ALOT to train, in time AND resources - and the pets are a VERY viable template addition - if this is NOT considered makes taming a plain JOKE and a player will do it for one reason and ONLY one reason to use it to make money - It that I all it is worth it is a PRODUCTION skill NOT an adventuring skill.

Pet CONTROL - - - HAS to be a part of taming and pets - - - HAS TO BE.

Woengus, Aldo and Jivalax Azon like this.
  5. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I must agree with Weins. Please take this with some salt however, as I have not trained taming at all.

That said, there are some strong real world examples to support his ideas. There are trained tigers. You can buy them. But not any idiot with some cash should buy a trained tiger and expect it to be a house cat. You have to have skill in handling large dangerous animals before you can work with even a trained tiger. So why should you simply be able to buy a tamed Ferocious Brown Spider and expect it to act like a clockwork dog? No, aside from logical game mechanics, it is only reasonable to expect some skill to be able to handle stronger animals. Of course it should be easier to handle one that is already tamed than it is to tame one. So, maybe at skill 75 I can buy one and handle it, I can't tame it until skill 100. (Or some such math.)

Phydra, Aldo and Sold and gone like this.
  6. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Congrats on the GM Taming. Looking forward to a guide :)

Tahru and Jivalax Azon like this.
  7. Pababear

Pababear Avatar

Dateline: Montana.
    Congratulations on achieving a benchmark. What are you at level 200 (Beast Master?) If you were fishing, at level 200 you would be called Baiting Master, right?

8. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Sorry but to restrict playing together just to push player that want to reach everything on their own is not fair. If you do something alone, it will take longer but you can still do it. It is not like you can't do it at all.

Leelu and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  9. Oldgeezer

Oldgeezer Avatar

if you make everybody level to level 75 to get a great animal, you will have 1k petshops out there selling pets, it will kill trying to even sell a pet, I buy pets from sindariya all the time, forcing me to level up taming to use a animal will end up costing people like sindariya, pets in this game is gonna be a great money maker, but not if everybody has to level taming just to use a pet. Take my gold, raise the prices if need be, ect ect.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  10. Selene

Selene Avatar

I think it is reasonable to have a "handling" taming requirement but it should be no higher than maybe 25-40% of the skill needed to tame something from the wild. It is realistic that not any player could handle a high level creature, but taming something from the wild is much different than dealing with a possibly dangerous animal that has already been taught to live with humans. Also, I think it should scale. So maybe at 15% of the skill to tame something, you can summon it, but it will not listen to your commands... and your odds of success go higher the higher you go.

Woengus, Jivalax Azon, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  11. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Not taming should be the key, but summoning. You should start small not with the highest pet. On lvl 1 you should not be able to call anything but the basic pets like grey wolf or non combat pets. It should go up so you have to gain lvl 40 to summon the highest pets. Their must be a protection that not everyone can start with highest pets. Their must be some kind of regulation. On the other hand I don't want the need to skill up to lvl 80 for the highest pet. There is a need to balance this issue. It would hurt the game if a lvl 5 char can run around with the ferocious red spider.

12. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

I agree there should be a skill tied to pet usage.

You should have to know and train how to control higher level pets.

I think this would help a lot to keep from the game becoming a Pet Game, where everyone has a pet, and HAS to have a pet to keep up.

Taming shouldn't be a way to make money but a "style" of gameplay

Tamers will still be able to make money. Just not to the scale they are right now.
    Which I know some have made several MILLION gold.

Should tamers be the richest profession in the game?

13. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

At the moment it is.

14. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Some trade has to be the richest. Might as well be the one that everyone is testing out.

Leelu and Jivalax Azon like this.
  15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Just Like the other two major tamers here have said - nothing is aying you CANNOT buy pets and yeas 30 - 50% skill to control seems feasible ATM, and I would go up a little with tougher pets.

But you clearly are NOT seeing the point that as of now a Player who just walked thru the portal and into this world can grab a Whistle with a Ferocious Brown Spider on it, have Summoning level 1 and go out and just plain out CRUSH - tier 5 monsters - - - - This can NOT be allowed to happen.

And the simple solution is a combination of skills;

( ( (Taming + Summoning + Creature Healing + Creature Resurection) / 5 ) / Pet Control Statistic ) * 100 = Control Chance

If the chance is < 0 then if you try and Summon the pet - Nada, You get a message that says pet will not obey.

0 - 25% Gives a certain amount of time the pet will obey and if you try and fight a tier 5 the pet will not obey.

These are just spitball ideas but I think you get my ideas.

Again I am not saying players should not be able to buy pets and control should require less than taming BUT - - - - -

Jivalax Azon and Solazur like this.
  16. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I don't understand why taming has to be so tricky to get into. It's easier to cast magic than it is to tame an animal!

We should be able to tame for free, with the collars and whistles only enhancing chance to tame, or enhancing control, or something like that.

"I always wanted a brown bear like you" was enormously appealing in UO. A huge selling point to the game. Whoever thought of that was a genius.

Why not just have a skill to tame in that same way here, in the same way you perform a combat maneuver or spell casting, rather than this complicated craft a whistle/collar thing we have now?

17. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I to like the idea that to tame a Sheep - Dog - Cat - or other lower level critter that a Simple Cloth or Leather strap collar should be all you need. Whistles are another thing that could also be like that, but u havn't thought about that yet - Good idea fairy might be that one :)

Jivalax Azon and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  18. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

No, I'm saying you shouldn't need anything but your charming self to tame an animal. No collar/whistles. Although if you have one, it might increase your chance to tame by 5 or 10%.

19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ahhh just the Skill - Sure I can buy that but not what they have implemented and I am ok with what we have it just needs ALOT of Tweaking :)

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  20. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Taming shouldn't be a requirement at all for the summoning side. Using a pet and taming a pet should be kept separate. Otherwise, it puts a major imbalance in the side of those who can afford to be high end tamers.

I have no issues with a control pet skill needing to be a specific level prior to being able to handle a high end pet (as stated above, it just makes sense). It also would help to balance the OP pets to the magical summons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.