1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Final Wipe and Lot Selection

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lumajo

Lumajo Avatar

Thankyou Rufus, I'm new here and didn't realise It'd already been stated. :)

Krohon likes this.
  2. Phoebe

Phoebe Avatar

I don't think that's the only important point. The areas around Drachvald are dull and generic. Anyone settling in that region will be disappointed. Not only will it hurt player retention but as we know from history once the major trading hubs and activity centers are established the newly refurbished zones in other regions are going to be swimming upstream to make a go of it.

Ice Queen, Kara Brae and Krohon like this.
  3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

There are two types of towns in the game currently that are not owned by players: NPC towns and PRTs (player-run towns). Not all backers will fit into NPC towns, so many will have to settle in PRTs (player-run towns). The reply by @Rufus D`Asperdi is correct assuming that you were equating "player run towns" with "player owned towns". The devs have stated that no one will be forced to claim a lot in a POT (player-owned town).

Quick definitions of the two types of game-owned town:
    • NPC towns: These are towns like Owl's Head that have quests, loads of NPCs (shops and vendors), public crafting opportunities, etc. etc.. Some of these towns have an important role in the story line.
    • PRTs: These are towns owned by the game (not by a player). Currently they are no more than residential districts with a banker/town crier at the entrance. Examples are Holtrot (near Owl's Head) and Aldwater (near Ardoris) The devs plan to turn these into "real" towns with a town center, NPCs, shops, etc. The main difference between a PRT and an NPC town will be the lack of integration of the PRTs into the story line and the psychological stigma of not being "important" towns.
    Every backer will be able to find a lot in either an NPC town or a PRT.

My personal belief is that PRTs will be very attractive places to live. From what I have been reading in the forum, players place a great deal of importance in having a lot "in a central location in an NPC town". It is in the nature of a town that not every lot can be "centrally located", so there are actually many fewer such lots in the game than there are lots available in NPC towns. The less accessible lots in an NPC town needn't end up being any better (from a commerce perspective) than lots in PRTs. My personal preference would be to live somewhere that did NOT look like the entrance to Owl's Head, which reminds me of Las Vegas with all the vendors lined up and guild advertisements :)

4. Lumajo

Lumajo Avatar

Thankyou Kara, your detailed explanation has answered my question perfectly :) :)

Krohon, Sean Silverfoot and Kara Brae like this.
  5. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

Good idea, but no, not work. Unless you convince Port of upgrading the pledge of beta players, say $10 per hours... and, no, won't happens too. :)

6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

This is addressed in several Hangouts of the Avatar. Currently, most zones around the world are clones, until there is time to focus development on the art, environment, etc.

7. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

They have stated no backers will be "forced" into POT's. A percentage of the player base (perhaps even a large percentage) may wish to start in POT's (or move to them later) if POTs tend to be more active places due to having a governor taking responsibility/providing leadership of the town. No player is likewise "forced" into an NPC town.

Even if they somehow miscalculated on the number of NPC lots needed they have the power to add more towns to the game.

Will everyone get a lot in the town they wanted to settle? No . But there will be enough NPC lots for all players (NPC in this case meaning any town that is not governed by a player).

8. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

His question was, 'will some players be forced into Player RUN towns, not POTs.. and the answer is: YES
    The number of lots is going to be 30% over the total number of deeds, and those lots will be in both NPC and PRT towns. And it's quite clear there will be far mor PRT towns than NPC towns, so the vast majority of players during the land rush will indeed, be FORCED into PRTs or POTs.

The good news is, they promise PRTs and POTs will be nice places to live, with no clear advantages to living in an NPC town (other than that they will be visited more often by players while they are playing through the storyline of the game.)

stratigos, Lord Andernut and Lumajo like this.
  9. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Though I cannot seem to find it, I remember it being said that when the game is "officially" launched that there will be a wipe. Just to clarify, and the way I understand it is, release 32 is NOT the final wipe but it is the last time the game will be wiped during "Early Access". From R32 on, until the "Official" launch, there will be no more wipes but when the game is officially launched that one final wipe will be performed. Is this correct?

10. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

They have made many changes over the last couple of years; for all intents, the Final Wipe in July will be a "soft" launch to bring the world into a permanent state for players to place housing in the land rush, and to start working on their actual permanent characters. The game will not be fully completed at that time, and the Devs will continue to release content for Episode 1 until the actual "release", which will then be when they can start working on the next episodes presumably.

11. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

In short: No, that's not correct. Final Wipe is Final Wipe. There will not be another wipe at official launch.

This is a significant change from what was previously planned, but it is the current plan.

12. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

First thanks for taking the time to respond, both Miracle Dragon and Houston Dragon. I'd like to believe that you are correct and indeed it may be as you say but Final wipe in this case could be Final Pre-release wipe. I haven't seen anything that contradicts the statement made originally that there will be a wipe at launch. Have you seen this written or spoken anywhere?

By the way, I just want to say for the record that I am not trying to lawyer @DarkStarr on this, I just want to be clear as the statement, "Please understand that final wipe is not “launch”" did get me curious and questioning this. I'm good either way, just looking for clarification.

13. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

It's pretty clearly stated by DarkStarr at the beginning of this thread, and has been reiterated in several Hangouts.

14. Alfa

Alfa Avatar

@DarkStarr

Well i sent it via email they told me to post it here......

The Suggestion or Complain. Is that some friends and i, want to put more money but we cant.

We have 2 Knights
    1 Edelman
    1 Ancestor

We pledged 1 Citizen since Kickstarter after we saw Knight we grabbed that thinking Well we will get a House , a Vendor and not the best spot in game but something Good for a vendor. We thought we are the higher ones that can place Village that should be enough...

Well After the Land rush Facts, and Plots available well so far they are around 880 + Brit i would say 1100 Npc Lots Available. Royal Founder Knight Group 38 Are around 1100 Houses(I know some will live into pots but u have to imagine the worst case scenario) ... So that Plan is off

If we Upgrade that to the next the tier well its the same Group, going up to Lord will get us in the 550 Group... Thas Nice but still we wouldnt a get a good spot.... And definitely not using a Town Lot no point putting extra 800.
    So we thought well lets get a Pot, without Mainland access well no point there no traffic at all also no Pot Public vendor going to each house and browse each vendor is not soemthing many ppl will do , if u buy a resale Pot they want 1400 to 1700 to much money.

Simple we cant pledge more because there is no benefit for the money we can afford, and we pledged to much for to little.... Knowing that we wouldnt have a good spot we would all go for ancestor, No point having a Vendor if im going to use the public one, no point having a village if im going to end living in a row house. No point living in a NPC town if its a 5 min walk from the entrance ill rather live at the entrance of the PRT.

Same with my Edelman i was going to upgrade to Knight but the only benefit its the Crafting station, $225 Crafting station is not worth it .

At the end we werent able to put 1k or 1.25k more because its not worth it, and we over pledged 1.5k cuz we would be the same with a lower Pledge.

15. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

At least, it's good that you guys make some assessment prior putting money into upgrading pledges.

Anyway, it is a misconception that POT without overland access will have less foot traffic than the overland ones. It still all comes down to the location. A POT with overland access does not guarantee that people will frequent into and create traffic. A POT nested into big town (Resolute, Ardoris, Owl's Head) may have much higher chance of people visiting compare to the one with overland located out of nowhere on the map.

I personally, do not go around each POT on the overland and try to browse the vendors. Especially when most of them are currently empty due to the owners do not wish to spend anymore time until after the final wipe.

Tahru likes this.
  16. Alfa

Alfa Avatar

Im an Economist, all i do is analyze data lol!!!

Ive rarely enter to a Pot besides my guild Metropolis, but ive never enter one withut Overland Access i found that they exist until someone explained them to me...

17. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Release 32 is the Final Wipe. There will not be another wipe.

18. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

there are more cities than just Brit to be added. Let alone smaller towns and PRT's. You are underestimating the amount of Lots that will be available.

But it seems the "location" is your highest priority, so I would take that into account, that more places will open up.

Also think about episode 2 when other continents come into play, youll still be those pledge tiers, when there are no longer pledge tiers to obtain... just fyi.

19. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

@Leostorm, I don't disagree with what you are saying and believe we need to be patient to see what the upcoming April wipe will bring. With Brittany being added, as well as the increase of higher tiered lots in PRTs, I think next wipe will give us a good vantage point to see what will be available come final lot placement. Having said that, I wish Portalarium would be more forthcoming with this information and give us a more concrete idea of what will be available and where. @Ice Queen has been doing an excellent job of trying to keep tabs on this through her NPC/PRT spreadsheet in the interim.

Vyrin and Ice Queen like this.
  20. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Yea Some good info going in will help. Would it help them now? For sure because many are on the fence about putting in more money and if they had more insurance then they be throwing it at them more.
    But I suppose its ALOT of info spread across many teams that must come together to get the full picture. and at this point in time all that info is still kinda up in the air and not fully concrete.
    Heres what I would suppose some bottlenecks to information are.

World creation: the world builders are busy plugging away but they havnt gotten to all the towns yet, so there exact lot count may still kinda be in the air.
    Performance: Due to still optimizing, this contributes to how many lots they can fit into a scene. As I can only presume this is a major factor for the larger lots, and why there are not more multi large lots in scenes.
    So they are prolly pushing till the end to see how many they can get into each town to reach the quota and good fps.
    People still Pledging: There are still pledges pouring in and more deeds coming into exsistance every day. Untill they start cutting those out, then they themselves wont even know the numbers of what they need.
    Multi Team Communication: So yea its all those teams pulling all the info together to get a proper assessment.

I have faith they will give us some read outs and numbers as we get close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.