Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Obsidian wolves not fighting back.

Discussion in 'Release 31 Feedback Forum' started by Gramps, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

Crag Foothills Area: Crag Foothills (Novia_R2_Hills01_CragFoothills) Loc: (111.0, 55.1, -6.5) The Obsidian Wolves are not fighting back. They run away as soon as you get close to them and once they stop you can just slay them.
    Had to edit this post. None of the wolves fight back.

FrostII and Acred like this.
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This is not a blocker. This is part of the intended new behavior design. Some animals will have new fight/flee chances. Wolves have a higher run rate, but should have an increased attack rate if they trigger near other wolves to join them in attacking you.

Ancev likes this.
  3. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

I understand that it's intentional. It's just extremely wrong.

Montaigne, FrostII and Acred like this.
  4. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

Yes. This really sucks. Who was the jack ass that thought this one up ? YOUR FIRED !!!!

Montaigne, FrostII and Dariog like this.
  5. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

Right on, Gramps.

FrostII likes this.
  6. synsx

synsx Avatar

I think that the wildlife AI isn't working quite as intended. Bears and wolves run if they can, but if they are cornered they just stand back exposed allowing you to have your way with them.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    Solazur and margaritte like this.
  7. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

@Attenwood Try the Patriarch Bears in Ulfheim. Most often, the Patriarch Bears will run away before you even get close enough to get a first hit on them. If they run towards the edge of the forest, they can go deeper into the trees than we can so we can't even follow to hit them. Is it viable play when you can't reach the monsters?

Solazur, Ancev, Fister Magee and 2 others like this.
  8. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

I've had the same experience with wolves and bears in several areas. This is a fantasy game, not a simulation of reality. Monsters that won't fight are just a waste of pixels. It's the most comically pathetic thing I've ever seen in game, and that's saying something. I mean that with respect, of course. I know the developers have a difficult job and they're doing the best they can. It's just that this one is a big mistake.

Gramps and Gorsedd like this.
  9. Scrambler

Scrambler Developer Emeritus

I'll take a look at what's happening when they get cornered.

Fister Magee and margaritte like this.
  10. Scrambler

Scrambler Developer Emeritus

Creatures shouldn't be able to get somewhere the player isn't able to reach. It's very possible we have some levels that are not properly setup - allowing creatures past the boundaries. This is not normal. We took care of several scenes this last release that were incorrectly setup and thought we caught them all. I'll look at Ulfheim to see if setup properly.

Thanks.

--------

We found some geometry issues with the treeline where bears could back back past where the player could. We'll see about fixing this properly. Thanks.

---------

Update 7/8
    Level design fixed the treeline today. This effects > 100 scenes. The fix will be in for R32.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    Ancev, Fister Magee and Tazar like this.
  11. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

Understood. Thanks for the clarification.

12. nimueCW

nimueCW Bug Hunter

I understand what you guys were going for, but maybe it can be dialed back a notch? Killing wolves is currently an exercise in frustration. They just keep running until they reach the end of their range or get stuck. I'm not seeing any of the pack mentality either :(

Solazur likes this.
  13. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

The Ferocious Red Spider in the West Ravenswood forest cave now runs away as far as he can, then just lets you kill him ... just like a Patriarch Bear. Not every time, but he does it.

Solazur likes this.
  14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I went to Serpent's Spine Foothills, saw a pack of wolves (3-4 of them), they saw me and they ran away. I actually had to run around chasing them in order to skin these pesky creatures. I think it is very silly that wolves and bears would run away from human. The least submissive thing they should do is stand still and growl, but ready to attack.

Dariog likes this.
  15. agra

agra Avatar

Sounds like they want to increase the difficulty for players to get producer XP from skinning (it being the most common source of producer XP), to pave the way and/or increase demand for XP pots in the cash shop. Standard operating procedure for premium currency cash shop games, nothing new here.

Dariog likes this.
  16. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Right now it sure does making harvesting for mine, trees, cotton nodes much easier, though. If the fight or flee AI is a new thing, then they need to add some biased for these mobs to be much more braver. Otherwise, they wouldn't survive into adulthood this long.

On the bright side, Port just found the perfect AI config for "panicked/distressed peasants."

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    nimueCW and agra like this.
  17. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

This is also happening badly at Deep Ravenswood.. so many wolves and bears there.. they always run into the bush and I cannot damage them.. fix ALL scenes please (we can't find them all on our own time, you have the databases and the code there).. can't you see where all paths are in the game? It is baffling that they can reach areas that we cannot. :(

Dariog and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  18. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

Pet Ferocious Red Spiders can go where you cannot, although I don't like that method and I can't believe it was intentional.

Fister Magee likes this.
  19. nimueCW

nimueCW Bug Hunter

Under normal circumstances, I would agree, but all this has done is make everything else easier to get. I spent 2 hours in a 4skull area, with a really nice wolf population. In those 2 hours, I was attacked by about 10 wolves out of over 100.

20. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

It would be cool if the unique characteristics and behaviors of a wolf could be retained after you tame it. Perhaps some wolves are more aggressive than others and they'll fight you straight up, where others are better at ambushing and they look to strike you from the flank or from behind. Maybe some wolves could stealth in more difficult areas? A 'dex' based wolf would be more about ambushing but a more brutish wolf would be strength based.. or w/e

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.