Moving to Twitch for livestreams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doctor, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

Hello avatars,

It's me.... Doctor Shroud.

A crazy drunk such as my self has much to complain about but doesn't find it necessary to talk about it around people because my other personalities deal with that.

But, recently I heard in the hospitallers meeting that TWITCH *eye twitch* will be the platform for the Portalarium Stream. *Arnold Schwarzenegger grunt* EXCLUSIVELY to Twitch.

Twitch runs flash... I hate people who flash me. It's quite disturbing because it's prone to viruses, exploits and other nasty things. Plus, it takes up so much processing that it buffers all the time.

"D'aww deal with it... go get a better PC".

Why? Because i cannot afford it and it holds my beer pretty well.
    The point is, I will not be able to watch the stream because of this.

Why stop streaming on Youtube that has worked for countless months without issues? What is this constant jump from IRC to Discord and other chatting platforms when they all work well?
    Please do not limit us to Twitch. There will be other streamers yes, but who really watches them over Portalarium?

Can it be done on both platforms where it is more user friendly?
    I'm not looking for a fight, I just don't want to be absent from such an important event. I feel like I'm being thrown out on the side.... which has happened countless times by bartenders.

Yes yes I'm being dramatic? Will one's voice be heard or will it be overturned by others? Please provide support to allow a youtube stream. We are a community, so help a drunk out and make our voices be heard. I don't want to be left alone without you all *cries on someones shoulder*

Ooo a coin. La la la lala.

EDIT BY BEREK: New YouTube link posted below for watching the telethon. A second option for Twitch will be made available in the coming days.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2016
  2. Womby

Womby Avatar

I agree about Flash. Adobe Flash Player provided eight of the top 10 vulnerabilities used by exploit kits in 2015. That is why I refuse to have it on my PC*, and why I therefore won't be able to participate in the live stream. I know that Portalarium will also be doing a (hidden) YouTube stream. Make that address public and I'll be able to participate. Hide it and I won't.

EDIT:
    The Flash Player update, part of this week's Patch Tuesday release, contains fixes for 24 Flash related security flaws, the majority of which could be exploited to remotely execute code on the targeted machine.

* I realise Twitch are experimenting with HTML, but it is not yet available to the general public.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    DuKe NuKeM, Archer, smack and 8 others like this.
  3. Selene

Selene Avatar

I am sorry I missed the meeting today. I would have STRONGLY supported streaming BOTH to twitch and youtube. I know a lot of players who have told me they can't even watch twitch because of internet connection issues.

@Berek Please consider staying with youtube or simulcasting to youtube because it seems unfair to exclude long time players who have watched EVERY hangout from one of the biggest and most important telethons ever!

DuKe NuKeM, Sophi, smack and 14 others like this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

But Twitch is Current and Sexy!

DuKe NuKeM, Ajacied1987 and Leelu like this.
  5. Selene

Selene Avatar

I am ALL for doing the things that bring in new players and create more awareness of the game.. but not at the expense of the current community.. and not at a time when the devs have said they are not "officially" advertising the game because it is still so early in development.

6. agra

agra Avatar

I'll never install Flash again on any device I own. If I miss anything, too bad. Not worth the risk. 618 vulnerabilities in the last 3 years. Good on you, 'Doctor' for doing the right thing.

Ice Queen, Ronan, DuKe NuKeM and 13 others like this.
  7. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I agree with the OP. Flash has a big history of vulnerabilities and there are much more secure options available. if there is no other option other than flash then I guess I will be sitting this one out :(

Ronan, DuKe NuKeM, Sophi and 10 others like this.
  8. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

Yup no thanks. I'll wait for the video to show up on youtube afterwards. High chances I'll be asleep during the event anyways lol

DuKe NuKeM, Sophi, smack and 6 others like this.
  9. Womby

Womby Avatar

I have no problem with moving exclusively to Twitch once their HTML option is fully tested and available to the public. Until then, it would be greatly appreciated if a YouTube option was provided for those of us who refuse to have anything to do with Flash. Failing that, I guess I'll have to miss the live event and wait for a YouTube recording.

DuKe NuKeM, Archer, Sophi and 10 others like this.
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yup, all those guys/gals are right.... Flash is a great way to get infected.
    So I agree 100%
    Do it on YouTube (as well as Twitch if you must)...

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:rolleyes: This issue is one of those reasons...:(

Something wrong when backers are being blocked o_O?'

[​IMG]
    Our Technocrat's hoop Jumping Competition :confused:
    [​IMG]
    Either you are one, or you're not... :(
    [​IMG]
    The world's most opened window :)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    DuKe NuKeM, Sophi, smack and 3 others like this.
  12. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

+1 for Youtube

Ronan, DuKe NuKeM, Archer and 11 others like this.
  13. Womby

Womby Avatar

Why I love YouTube:
    1. YouTube doesn't lay out a welcome mat for viruses, etc.
    2. YouTube lets me choose a lower resolution that my crappy Australian internet can handle.
    3. YouTube doesn't ask me to pay money to enable basic functionality like the above.
    4. YouTube is less of a resource hog than Twitch.

I have heard it claimed that YouTube streaming is limited to 720p. This is not true. As well as supporting high resolution streams it automatically provides streams at a number of lower resolutions for those of us with bandwidth issues.

Kara Brae, Ronan, DuKe NuKeM and 12 others like this.
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yeah you know what.... It's on Twitch. Just deal with it.

DuKe NuKeM likes this.
  15. Womby

Womby Avatar

That's exactly what I've been doing. Rather than blindly accepting it I've been addressing the problem and dealing with it.

16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Blindly accepting... lol. You know it's not like Twitch is a established tool.
    I am getting extremly tired of people demanding the devs cater to their very personal tastes.
    Nobody likes Flash. But than again nobody likes Windows or Linux or macOS.
    Devs! Write us a new OS! -.-

DuKe NuKeM and Golem Dragon like this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

When the suite fits wear it... :(
    [​IMG]

I totally agree and I am also tiered of players demanding the devs cater to their personal tastes... o_O

"just like an elite few, personally changing our way of getting information we need to be involved with such personal taste decisions".
    Filters are always something that weed out the masses and tech filters only advance the technolian agenda elitism.

Currently the technolians are subverting our pledge tiered system of feudalism, by injecting their own brand of technical elitism.
    "Intended or not, this is what has happened" :confused:
    ~Time Lord~o_O

18. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Google Chrome works fine with Twitch without the need to download anything extra.

Amber Raine and DuKe NuKeM like this.
  19. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

It just gets under the skin a little bit, when we change the way we've been doing things for what is probably the most important stream since Kickstarter.

20. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

Twitch is neither current nor sexy... there are new competitors like Beam that don't use flash and in fact have better, less toxic communities than Twitch even. Plus Youtube stream has some options that are better too then Twitch even. Plus it would just be nice to stay consistent with how things have been done. Change for the sake of change is not a good reason for doing anything.

Ronan, DuKe NuKeM, Sophi and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.