Moving to Twitch for livestreams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doctor, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

Some streamers like Markee Dragon can do 4k streams on Youtube, Twitch doesnt have that. plus i love the more options for resolutions that Youtube has as well. really provides solid options for ppl all around the world.

Have you tried Beam or other streaming sites that already have been doing HTML solidly for a while?

Amber Raine, Sophi and Doctor like this.
  2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Twitch is still the biggest streaming platform for gaming.
    It is (almost) free PR. No, the sky isn't falling.

Amber Raine and Golem Dragon like this.
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I have no problem with constructive critics. Not even if the idea is against my personal taste.
    The problem is that a lot of people aren't constructive nor critical. They just demand because *insert random doomsaying*.
    I mean look at this thread! We are seriously discussing where to Stream after we had to deal with Google Hangouts!?

Golem Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I was trying to be subtle... There should have been a </sarcasm> flag, evidently. ;)

In actuality, I agree with you; especially the last two points. I can't really comment, nor do I have any opinion on the technical advantages or limitations of various options as I don't have sufficient experience with any of them to form a cogent opinion, especially a comparative one.

I can, however, see the Marketing advantages of moving to Twitch because it is the "In", "Hot" thing now.

Amber Raine and Golem Dragon like this.
  5. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

I wanted to do the Mike Meyers Austin powers voice and say "That's not sexy baby".. and make it goofy, so the humor in the first part of my response could be evident as well <3

Sophi and Time Lord like this.
  6. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Twitch was actually the "In" thing in 2014 when Amazon paid almost a billion dollars for it. It's probably bigger now.

[​IMG]

Amber Raine likes this.
  7. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

Being the most well established gives them a major advantage. Thankfully there are many other sites that are growing in popularity and are competing well via solid features. I like that there is a growing push for competition when it comes to streaming and streamable content on the internet. also, here is another newer article as well. - http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2015/...cent-of-internet-traffic-during-peak-periods/ - The rise of streaming content is neat. The most ideal would be to multistream as many do to multiple platforms.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    Amber Raine likes this.
  8. Selene

Selene Avatar

If it were possible to simulcast the twitch stream to youtube (even with a few second delay), it would solve all these problems. Bandwidth issues overseas, not wanting to use flash, or general dislike of twitch.

Like using restream.io ?

Amber Raine, FrostII, Sophi and 6 others like this.
  9. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

Now now now avatars. We are a community. Let's all hold hands and be hipsters okay!

Twitch is better, Youtube is better, this is better, my beard is better.

That's not the point. Portalarium are more than able to create two streams, one for Twitch and another user friendly platform (e.g. Youtube) for others who suffer problems. What I'm asking isn't difficult. It's been done. Cater to me? WELL OFCOURSE... The world revolves around me. What's a party without the Doctor? Silly billy. I want to hang out with you all... this isn't a competition to see what's the best. It's a way to allow us to all be in the same place and enjoy a special event created by Devs and the community... and possibly chickens.

10. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

the most important part is, can teh chickens be used for delicious BBQ chicken wings? :p

11. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

That's because Chrome has a Flash plug-in built into it.

Acred, Duke Avery and Alley Oop like this.
  12. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

"Yes yes I'm being dramatic?"

Yes, you are being dramatic :). Twitch is the future and the direction we're taking most of our videos for both consistency purposes, the tools and capabilities that Twitch has for livestreamers, and for its breadth in us being able to spread the word to the rest of the community.

It really shouldn't be a debate, but have at it :).

Seriously though, you simply click on the link we give you and watch, same as with the YouTube link in the past (which still exists), so there's absolutely nothing different on your end.

And FYI, Flash is going away for Twitch to be replaced by HTML 5 :).

Amber Raine likes this.
  13. Selene

Selene Avatar

What about simulcasting to both platforms? Like with restream.io ?

Then everyone wins.

Derium, FrostII, Sophi and 2 others like this.
  14. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Can you address the security concerns regarding flash? That WAS the original complaint.

Ronan, FrostII, Acred and 2 others like this.
  15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think he did..

16. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Ah, that was a stealth edit.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  17. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

I wouldn't call Twitch the future, especially when you look at how slow they have been in getting rid of Flash as well as their inconsistency in dealing with the toxicity of the Twitch Community. Even those who are still in charge, despite being bought by Amazon, continue to disappoint me in so many ways. Keeping to YouTube would be consistent as well as show that you care about the community that has grown.

The "tools and capabilities that Twitch has for livestreamers" can be found on any other streaming site... and that includes their recent Channel Feed tool. In fact to do a twitch stream better, you need 3rd party tools to do it well to deal with things like giveaways, etc. The built in tools are nothing special. The only built in Twitch Feature i can think of, that they have that actually helps, is the Subscription one for those who reach partner. That is even something other streaming sites have. Their HTML5 Player Beta is open to Twitch Turbo subscribers only, with no confirmed date for non paid turbo subscribers. It will come eventually though. so the flash issue some ppl have is still a valid concern for them.

Selecting Twitch is only a decision made because of the obvious marketing that can be done more easily. It truly feels like change for the sake of change. They are in need of an influx of more money, and so they are choosing what they think will help them. With 95% of viewers watching only 10% of available streams on the site, it will only gather those who care about Twitch who already exist in the SotA community.

At the very least it is good that it was confirmed they arent ending the youtube stream.

4EverLost, Sophi, Acred and 3 others like this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Is What You're Say Now is That Player Input is Now Dead~o_O?'
    That's a very arbitrary statement Berek :( I'm disappointed in such reasoning...
    Our community's consistency has been YouTube :(
    What about the community you have, don't we measure up any longer into the equations of consideration? :(
    I guess you're right, "it's your company man, and not ours", we've just been backing it with our cash :(

We're being squeezed out, I think I get it :( your company got the consistency it wanted from us and is now looking for others, or a select few... :(
    Will you still love me in the morning o_O after those few decide our fate in the demands from them? :(
    When did the greater community's input become so unwanted? :(
    My guess is "today" o_O RIP...
    ~Time Lord~:(

Amber Raine, Aldo, FrostII and 8 others like this.
  19. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Now we're being dramatic :). I know that change is scary, it's not easy... but honestly, this is going to allow us to run more livestreams, high qualities streams, and get more of the community together on them.

I have a significant history in using Twitch, so you can know that I wouldn't be suggesting it to the team lightly.

Aside from Flash, what are the other concerns we have?

Here are some of the benefits:

- One link for any stream we promote
    - Similar to above, platform to allow us to keep you updated on streams on a single web page.
    - Higher quality for non-Hangouts streams
    - Ability to connect Discord chat (still checking on this one, but that's what I hear)
    - Marketing/social is stronger

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

No concerns.
    I like twitch.
    Somebody had to say it ^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.