Current Players Online 440

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Abydos, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

People are waiting for their house placing window, for a more complete game etc etc etc.

We can have this discussion after next release when everyone can place houses and see how it looks ;)

Sarek, Kaisa, Snikorts and 2 others like this.
  2. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Man you do not understand Early Access biggest problem.
    Main curse of it - Gamers burned out before release.

Examples of less participation after release then under Early Access.

State of Decay - Sept 2013 Early Access
    Nov 2013 Release

Less Players at release.
    Look at Stats: http://steamcharts.com/app/241540#

DayZ will have 100% far, far less active players at release then it had at Alpha!

It had 23000 concurrent players at Alpha stage 2013.
    It is down to 8000.

It will suffer EAB - Early Access Burnout.

The Successor to Quake Toxxics was also Early Access and failed at launch to pick up.

Read all about it:

https://mmos.com/editorials/early-access-burnout

I could easy! dig out countless proves that realeasing a Game at Alpha Stage is a risky business the longer the "Full Release" is away.
    And i could easy find more Games that had more Players at Alpha then at release.

Main reason: False promise, Feature kreep, to long Early Access - Burn Out, better games coming out in the same time before Full Launch with same market, bad money management and more.

But: SotA has a loyal Fan Base. I think they will carry the Game. Even with 1000 concurrent players

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  3. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

You are right on state of decay.

There is one huge factor you are overlooking and that is the fact that all those games were heavily Advertised prior to the early access .

We are two days into early access, and as i said. We can talk again in r33 when everyone have their house and see how numbers look. :)

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

*rings the bell* we are doomed! WE ARE DOOMED! Behold the end of the world! AGAIN! and again! aaaaand...again! ............ . . . . . .

5. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I think they are actually doing fine.
    Just wan't to be Spoke and say:

It is logical that with 50 000 owners you can't expect 50 000 concurrent players.

Hornpipe, Jatvardur and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  6. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

No. You are doing fine. You dropped your pink eye glas.

Picks it up and puts them on. Wow. Yes. Now i understand your point of view.

Jatvardur likes this.
  7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Dude, don't make go and grab the 'you-sold-your-account-baseballbat' :p

I am really tired of all this doom sayers. Especially after we have two days after final wipe.
    I logged on once to creat my character and move him into Position and didn't Log in again waiting for my Window. I know of at least 12 people that did the same. If I want to fake a statistic I would say 100% of players are waiting for their placment Window. :cool:
    The Burnout stuff maybe true but from now on it isn't as important as it has been 6 month ago.
    To me you Sound like the next Person that is just looking for the next best reason to call the end of the world. It's sad, you had been a constructive part of this Community for as long as I am here.

Arradin likes this.
  8. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Actually we had a nice conversation before you did your "Ahhhh" post.

Even with positive remarks.

I think there is a difference between players talking about facts then negativity.

All i see are players looking at participation numbers who hope for the best.

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Yeah after i read the rest of your posts i have to admit i missunderstood you.
    Not by purpose.
    So i am sorry.

10. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

And the Oracle Speaks......

Well not actually the Oracle, just a loyal fan who knows nothing really, but that would be as much as everyone else. Nevertheless it's my opinion, so I'm pushing it:p

I think also that it is far too early to be worried. Valid reasons for "low" numbers:
    People waiting for their lot selection time
    People still waiting for full launch
    The round earth - while some players are awake and can play, others are asleep/at work etc.
    (An observation - I have seen a huge surge in player numbers online. No math, just an impression)

A while ago I predicted:

This game will be a bit of a "slow burn"

It is admittedly a niche game, and probably not for everyone. What we have right now are the testers and true believers.

The game will launch to modest success
    I do not think it will be a blockbuster, but it will do fairly well.

Its popularity will grow as people see, through word of mouth and advertising, how great it is.

It will approach or surpass UO in popularity and longevity.

I have seen nothing so far to make me alter these views.

11. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Shroud will be a slow burner and population will climb. The game is very unique. Not a Wow or Korean grinders. Each release is significantly better. The game is fun. Lots of content.

Give it time. If the population is this low next year, we can talk.

12. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Actually 750 or so online same time is not to bad at all to begin with. When people get in their houses and have things to do apart from just grind this will be higher as well. Well done.
    Also: When this was posted it was 3.30/4.30 am in Europe.....So not bad at all for just ones from the states.
    I played EvE, 6 months in we usually had around 700 on in the evening. I would much rather have a game that grows its player base than one where they all come at the release to all/mostly be gone in 2 months. This has happened with 90% of mmo's as we all know. The reason EvE kept and grew its player base was not due to what was released at the beginning, it is the way they expanded with adding more content for players to 'grow the game', and not adding more story. The trouble with just story is that people come and eat it so quickly then gone and onto something new.
    With SotA i am hoping that the personal attachment we all have with housing/social and a robust player run economy (like EvE's if we can) in the game will be what keeps people playing. A game with story made and created by the players will outlast anything that developers can make at a minimal cost.
    Give them/us the tools and they will come.

Phiedrus, Andyafro and Asclepius like this.
  13. Derium

Derium Avatar

If we end up 250k users and the game runs strong for 5 years before a massive decline, then chugs along at 50-100k players for the next 15 years... I'll be so pissed I didn't upgrade to LotM.

Oh, I'll also be happy the game did well, but more pissed I didn't fully upgrade.

Happy, but pissed...

14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Here are my reasoning of why we should not be worried and fixated on the numbers of players atthis time.

As of right now, we can only up to around 120 people to be on the same zone instance before others get allocated to a new instance of the same zone. That means even if there are a large numbers of playera in game, the chance is you may never see them.

The game party system only support up to 8 people. You can't heal people outside the party. So as far as the PVE game play goes, you will max out at 8 people at the moment. Any more people than that will just hinder your progress for most of the time.

When there are alot of people in the same zone, the game become laggy or even sometimes crash. People will have to resort into friendly or single player online mode in order to continue playing.

By going around and say "oh it's over, we don't have enough population to keep the game going" is doing nothing but causing doubt and distress to other players that may enjoy the game as is. If one has to be worried for the sake of worrying, how about shift the energy toward creating positive in-game interaction with other players you encounter?

I understand that we need alot of people to play in order to get healthy economy and some justification for the devs to focus more on PVP. However, there are more productive ways to make that happen. Join the new player project, create your own player project, interact with everyone you encounter along the way. Make both of you feel immerse into the game. Gather positive energy to attract more players to look into the game. Interact with the devs regarding changes and feedvack, etc.. these are things that we should be worried, not the number of clients connected to the server.

A game could have one million players at the start, but it fills with negative energy and toxic players, people will eventually get burned out and move on to something else.

In SotA we occasionally have people join the journey and leave the game with such dramatically remarks, then come back a few months later. That's gotta mean something, right?

Tl;dr, if you enjoy the game, then don't worry about it. If you don't enjoy the game, then let's discuss on the improvement it could be made.

15. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Er, what's the "false information" in what I said? Suggest you re-read the thread and note who has said what before you toss any more "dares" around. Cheers.

Fain likes this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

"And lo verily it was dawn, and then did the Doomsayers crawl from beneath their rocks and cry DOOOOOOOOOOM! for that is their nature." Thus sayeth the holy text of the Dark Star, Book of Raine, Chapter 10, verse 13. Amen.

Sean Silverfoot, Jatvardur and Thwip like this.
  17. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Day Z was absolutely not heavily advertised. That is completely incorrect.

CampersCrispin likes this.
  18. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

You speculate and try to make it sound like fact = Spreading false information. Cheers.

There is absolutely no way any of us can tell what the peak is after 2 Days, not to mention its not even Launched yet. And this entire thread doesnt help

19. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

DayZ is not relevant, since its not yet released and still in early access, Plus the fact that its a followup to an insanely popular Mod which had more players than the standalone has sold copies ( Atleast last time i Heard )

20. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Maybe the expected amount of mmo players is a little bit overrated. Perhaps most of the people are waiting for the finished story or the release of this game ;)

Stahlknecht, Montaigne and Arradin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.