People Need to Talk More

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fain, Jul 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fain

Fain Avatar

I've been trying to engage people in conversation through local and zone (as well as watched others get frustrated when no one responds) and think we need to get better at this. In order for this community to thrive there needs to be communication and it is very rare for anyone to actually respond to other people.

I'm not sure if people are AFK macroing (which seems to be very common) or if they're not aware that zone is off by default but we need to help people who are new to the game!

2. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I just have anti-social tendencies. ;)

CampersCrispin, Tahru, Acred and 6 others like this.
  3. Ogarious

Ogarious Avatar

Welp, if it was to me you were speaking I apologies. I've been bouncing back and forth from the game to here. But yeah, your going to get that now a days in a MMO. Expecially since this is a alpha and people are just sorta milling around trying to learn stuff. At least that's what I've been doing. I've made a couple of friends in the game. And I am sure you will too. Shroud still has a rather small and quiet community. Just wait, your going to get plenty of replies here on the forums I think. At least I hope so, I have been.

4. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

People may just be busy coordinating with guilds and things right now with the restart.

Send me a message anytime. I love to chat!

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

What would help is for people who are using party or guild chat to open a second chat tab and filter everything but all chat, placing a checkmark on local, wisper, guild, and party (nobles if you have orb), and zone.

Let tab #1 have all the stuff active or only combat information so that you can track combat info. It is also a good idea to see the emotes and all other stuff so you don't miss anything.

Using the tabs like that would benifit everyone. Use it how you like, but using one tab to see only the talk chanels only is not a bad idea and it is color coded to distinguish between party guild etc

6. Fain

Fain Avatar

I think it's primarily because zone defaults to being off. People don't even realize they need to turn it back on. As someone said...

"Oh! I thought local was similar to a zone chat."

I agree. I have a tab called "player chat" where it ha local, zone, whisper, etc on it and filters out all the NPC, emotes, combat logs, etc.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Sometimes people are talking in guild chat, or party chat, and that distracts from local chat like @StevieD said. Sometimes on TeamSpeak and not even chatting through the game. Other times, they might be idling, or doing something in their inventory.

I think turning on /zone by default would have the same kind of effect, because you'd be standing near a bunch of people who might not respond locally because they're talking to others somewhere not even visible on /zone, or people might tune out of chat entirely because of /zone spam.

The best way to help foster communication IMO has always been to encourage local chat.

The best way to stop AFK macroing IMO is to make it not worthwhile. It needs to be impossible for instance, to gain in defense skills unless you're being hit, or impossible to gain in heal skills unless the target is hurt. That sort of stuff...

8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

well, do you want a talkative world or a full world? not everyone is an extrovert and that's okay. the more you try to push everyone in multi to be social butterflies, the more the introverts are gonna stay out of multi.

9. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I do talk when I'm recording my gameplay... LOL

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I hate people.
    Plus i have the zone chat off by purpose. Never wanted a worldchat anyway ^^

Just kidding. I guess most people don't realize the zone chat is off plus the chat system could need a rework. You ave to change a lot of settings if you really want to use it as chat.

While we are at it:
    Proof or it didn't happen. And if you can proof it, mail it to support ;-)

Acred and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  11. Fain

Fain Avatar

It's not very difficult to see the noncommunicative people who are standing in one location casting two spells over and over again while not reacting to what's going on around them.

I don't want to turn this into an afk macro img thread but you have blinders on if you're unaware that it's already happening.

Acred likes this.
  12. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

I've seen quite a bit of familiar faces from this forum - usually friend requests occur and chat happens (albeit in whispers).

Acred and Audacity like this.
  13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

:p

Srsly that's not about "blinders".
    It's about complaining which will get you nowhere vs. doing something about it ;-)

Acred and Alley Oop like this.
  14. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

They showed up right on day one. Spamming death tap and healing touch...over and over in the middle of Soltown. One person was casting immolate over and over again - looked like Soltown was burning.

I hope some RPers will emerge from the ashes of final wipe. :)

Snikorts and Acred like this.
  15. Fain

Fain Avatar

Owl's Head has some of those fire people too. The skills trainer area reminded me of the old Britain bank.

Acred likes this.
  16. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

I'm not even sure what the difference is between local and zone chat. Could someone explain?

Acred likes this.
  17. Fain

Fain Avatar

Zone is the entire area, local is only those people directly around you (and it also creates a chat bubble).

Snikorts and Acred like this.
  18. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I wonder how many expend their pooled experience after the first minute, and then waste an hour having no effect at all ? :p

19. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

What you will find is that a lot of people don't talk in MMOs in general... which is weird, I know... they desire a multi-user environment, then don't talk to anyone.

I think it's largely born of people wanting others "around" whom they can show of their gear and progress to... but they don't want to actually, you know, engage with them.

And further, with SotA in particular, originally designed to have a strong(er) offline game, there are a lot of people playing, I would suggest, who don't even like multiplayer games anyway.

Acred and NRaas like this.
  20. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

Usually this early in the game most people are trying to figure out what is going on and where things are located. I would imagine most are not watching the chat window much :) At least that's what I'm doing.

Snikorts, Tahru and Acred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.