Using PVP to create regional economies?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by danjacobsmith, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

One of the intentions of the development team was to create regional economies. They also have hardly touched upon the PVP aspects of the game.

I noticed that you can pay mages a few thousand gold to teleport past the passes in the game. If all the passes were set as PVP only areas it would make them risky again. People would have to pay to pass them.

Add a hefty fee to use boats and things would be segregated off really well and you'd make the PVP players happy too. No one would be forced to PVP, they'd just have to pay to bypass it.

I'm not a PVP player myself but this would certainly create regions and bring in a lot of PVP players to the game.

Ancev, Time Lord, Bow Vale and 3 others like this.
  2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I hope it does work this way someday. Where players are effectively setting the taxes for the parts of the game that they control and if you don't like how they rule, you can get a group together and overthrow them.

But we're a long way from this point.

Belgtor, Time Lord and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I agree whole heartedly

Time Lord and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

not gonna happen, the devs have made it clear that if you dont want PvP, you will never be forced into a PvP area. This makes 100% sense. We do have a very big population that want absolutely nothing to do with PvP at all (note: not me but I respect them).

5. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

You don't have to PvP. You can pay the tax, go around, avoid the area entirely, etc. No one gets forced into combat. Simply NPC driven mechanics are brought closer to the hands of players.

But again, many, many things will have to improve to get to this point.

blaquerogue and Time Lord like this.
  6. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

PVE players would pay the mage fee to bypass the PVP areas if they didn't want to risk it.

Creates a gold sink, helps build a PVP base and creates region barriers in one swoop.

7. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I agree but as Starman said...

I can picture the CP empty and all the PVPers camping the mage :D

I've resigned about PVP being accounted as part of the "main picture" of SotA. I still have hope it's fully fleshed into an optional but legitimate risk vs reward mechanic, with a reason to exist and something to add in the bigger picture.

Time Lord and 4EverLost like this.
  8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

you can pay the mage fee, go around, or teleport.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

What about the 3 guys standing at the entrance waiting for some "noob PvE player" to enter and kill them?

Aint gonna happen, they will not be forced to enter a PvP zone... this is actually very consistent across the entire gaming industry unless the game is specifically designed as a PvP game... which these people will not play.

Just because you (and I) like PvP does not mean that we can force it on others (kinda my opinion on religion for that matter).

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, but you shouldn't have to pay the large fee to the mage.

Instead, the guild in command of the control point should have the option to charge a toll to pass through. If you paid the toll, you'd be "white-flagged", and marked <Safe>, which would exempt you from PvP. They'd have to have a ceiling on the amount they could charge, though. Some guilds would let you pass for free.

11. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

They could put the mage on the land map outside the pass. They could also put the mage near the entrance and make him give a buff that prevents PVP just at the zone in.

blaquerogue, Time Lord and Ice Queen like this.
  12. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

How would you get into a PVP zone without flagging for PVP?

Personally I'd either switch to single player mode to go through the passes or, if that wasn't an option, stop playing the game.

Duke Zymurgy, Womby, Baalice and 5 others like this.
  13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Im sure they could make a safe spot where you could talk to the mage.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Imagine for a minute that the overland map is a set of hexes colored red, green, and blue owned by different factions and tethered to some controlling objective. e.g. I get a team of six to enter some minigame instance to capture some flag with flips the control of some mountain pass to my side. Once this is accomplished, I can use the pass for free without paying 1500 gold.

I don't even need to have player vs player combat for this to work, either side could just fight NPCs. In fact, it doesn't even need to be combat based, control of an objective could be based on who writes the best poem or bakes the biggest pie.

But again, lots would have to change for this. No want wants a system where some free for all gank squad is port camping people trying to go to Britney to visit their sick grandmothers or whatever. This isn't UO.

Baalice, Time Lord and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I would not mind that. You cannot say no one wants free for all pvp. Some of us do.

blaquerogue, Time Lord and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  16. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Or you could just play Pokemon Go?

blaquerogue, Baalice and Time Lord like this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Maybe they could put the npc mage on the overland map to grant passage.

18. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

But the net effect is that people won't play. We've had these discussions for years and a group of people wanting to be wolves when a game feeds you sheep doesn't work. So you have to design a system which works for all participants.

Ultimately this gets you to some sort battle ground system (where jocks play jocks in a fair fight), some sort of siege system (where everyone can play but the death penalties are almost non existent), and other point based systems where people who are really good at some non combat aspect of the game can participate.

This is not a new problem. It's once that's once that's been addresses dozens if not hundreds of times in multiplayer games over the last 20 years and we've seen the evolution based on the feedback of hundreds of millions of players in terms of what they actually do, not jut what they say on forums.

19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Quit building strawmen. We are not talking about the whole world being like this just pvp areas. Its all consentual. It is not nearly as bad as you make it sound.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

I love the idea! Sadly, I think the option to skip over to single online makes it too easy to just skip past without paying or fighting.

Time Lord likes this.
  21. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

First off you can only pay to cross the easy Chokepoints, the most challenging choke points have no such option.
    Secondly, Choke points at best can only be a temporary hinderance. Forexample I needed to carry stuff to spite for @Ice Queen to help her move.
    So here I am -75% movement rate, roughtly 2,000 stones overweight, every step burning focus. Fortunately the archers came along and killed me.
    I ghost ran the rest of the way across the zone, rezzed on the other side, and went back to my super slow speeds.
    Vauban pass was the fastest easiest part of the entire journey.

Thirdly, they discussed this idea much earlier in the game development and there was complete outrage at even the concept, until everyone remembered we could just flip to single player to skip the PvP, so there was no point in adding it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Womby, FrostII, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.