Multiple town entrances, please!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VZ_, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Most towns have multiple roads leading out. It would be awesome if you had a choice regarding which you enter upon clicking on the town in world map (where it would make sense). Maybe even an option to select a default path and not ask again.

This would be a boom for players with lots not on the main road not just for personal convenience but also increase vendor traffic potentially.

Also would be helpful just for adventuring, knowing which part of town is must convenient for your goals and getting close to it.

Mac R, Kambrius, Net and 22 others like this.
  2. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Would probably be true for all zones. Certainly some of the mines are closer to one exit/entrance than another.

Not sure if they would want that.

3. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Yeah I can see them not doing it for adventuring zones and it makes sense not to, but for towns it would be very helpful with no downsides

4. Elric Zand

Elric Zand Avatar

it would completely screw over people who went for location over size in their decision on a lot, pretty sure devs have said this won't happen

5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Choice of entry point or little Ardoris boatman everywhere. I heard something about POTs getting some sort of definable point of entry system as well.

6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I don't really think this is a valid reason not to do it.

If so, persistence is the worst thing to happen to the game. Short term influx of money, but long term ramifications of being 'locked in.'

Net, smack, Raxhelm and 8 others like this.
  7. mercster

mercster Avatar

8. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I have been thinking of this as well. It was brought up early in development as a desirable feature. It would be nice if the name of the entrance was displayed below the town name and as you moved around the POI on the main map, the entrance would change.

If they want to promote exploration, then have the individual entrances default to the main entrance if you haven't visited it in-scenario yet. So the first time you walk over Brittany Fields, you only get the option for the main (current) entrance. When you make it through the town to the entrance to Brittany Central, you unlock the ability to enter Brittany Fields from that gate when you are standing on the side of Brittany Fields closest to Central.

It shouldn't be that hard to implement, it's just takes time. The starting locations are already there (because we use them when going from scene to scene). The change would have to be made with the current collision detection objects to add additional collision detection objects. If discoverability is desired, then check the existing data on the character that is used to show us the internal POI on the compass.

9. Elric Zand

Elric Zand Avatar

So someone who payed thousands of dollars but decided to pick a lot near the entrance should be screwed over and lets be real the only reason is the below quote which is from the OP.

"This would be a boom for players with lots not on the main road not just for personal convenience but also increase vendor traffic potentially."

Kvothe Kingkiller and Time Lord like this.
  10. mass

mass Avatar

It should be discovery based, though, right? Like, as you explore and discover more exits, more populate on the overland map.

Mac R, smack, Lord Baldrith and 7 others like this.
  11. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

And this is a problem with persistence this early. Also the same ol' same ol'. People who spent a lot of money will cry about how much they spent and why the change hurts them, instead of worrying about what is best for the overall game.

Yes, you'd have to deal with it if they made the change. Sorry!

Mac R, Reviled, Baalice and 11 others like this.
  12. Elric Zand

Elric Zand Avatar

No the problem is that you are driven by greed just as those who placed at the entrance instead of picking a bigger lot, but the difference is they payed for their greed and you did not and you are the one worrying.

(btw I asked Darkstarr about this exact question and he answered that the entry points will not change so you deal with it. Sorry! ;))

13. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Why is a home near an entrance point important? If no one comes to your town because it's a pain in the ass - you're going to be all alone anyway.

14. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

LOL! I think we can see who is the greedy one. I'm more interested in cutting down on the time it takes to do boring stuff and maximize productive happyfuntime.

P.S. I'd love to see where he said it.

15. Elric Zand

Elric Zand Avatar

I'm not at an entrance and I couldn't care less about a vendor at my house ;)
    I asked on discord and I think it was actually Atos and not Darkstarr now that I think about it *shrugs*

P.S use a recall or teleport if you want to cut down on the time it takes to do "boring stuff"

16. Elric Zand

Elric Zand Avatar

Cause people are forced to run by/see your vendor? pretty simple logic.

So I take it you are saying every town in the game is a pain in the ass, cause there are no towns with multiple entry points?

Beli, Kvothe Kingkiller and Time Lord like this.
  17. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

The way I see it, adding extra entrances adds value to other parts of the scene.

Adding entrances does not create more exits. People will be using the same exits they always have. Those that have placed in high-traffic areas will still have the same people running by their stuff on their way out. If you are sad you have competition, then work harder to create a relationship with your customers and clients.

18. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Basically, yes. Every town in game presently (less Ardoris) is an epic pain in the ass. Getting into Central Brittany just to go to the pier is a chore. Honestly, I don't even notice any of the properties on my 3 minute trek across the scene because I want to go to the pier. Look at Owl's Head... after you've been through the gauntlet a couple times - it's just something to navigate at top speed. Same for every scene everywhere. Even with my overland POT... I enter in through the NPC town I have a wagon in - because it's faster to get to where I need to go... in my own town!

If you've got something worth seeing, I'll come and look - but putting a vendor on your front door basically makes your house look exactly like every other house at every other entrance in the game; I'm just going to blow past it anyway. Putting boatmen, or bind points, or multiple entrances in NPC/PRT/POT scenes will make the game better.

Pyq, Toadster, Lord Baldrith and 12 others like this.
  19. Elric Zand

Elric Zand Avatar

Maybe you are right, just saying it does not seem fair to the people who made the decision I mentioned and I am completely unbiased on this.

20. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

greed makes men pay twice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.