Are all the UO players gone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blitz101, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

I was an early UO player and the PK'ing and constant theft from my character drove me permanently away. I tried running my own personal Ultima Offline server for a few months but it was too boring/empty at the time. Since then I've been waiting a very long time for something to recapture what I dreamt UO could have been for me. It's clear that I've found the game. I pledged as much as I did to support my dream for an awesome game I could run on my own server, but found out we have an awesome community and now like playing online.

2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im still here, I beta tested UO and I am beta testing SOTA. SOTA is a FAR better product in beta testing then UO ever was. I remember waiting 5 minutes to move one step in UO beta. People have this weird nostalgia about UO. The first 6 months after release, UO was terrible and lost a lot of people before they fixed some fundamental flaws and started coming around.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yeah that's about how long it took just to get the lag under control. Though they were the first to put a game like that out. Didn't have other people's mistakes to learn from in that regard. Still, I understand the devs wanted another year but EA pushed it out the door early.. or so I've heard..

4. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

I played when red jesters with cApSnAmEs would come and take all your [removed language, by Berek].

Then t2a came along.

Quite enjoyed it, although my later return had super easy GM skills and no feeling of accomplishment.

Still remember rolling with a guy who had 18 months in, 78.7 parry, and likely was the server leader in the skill.

Proud SOTA supporter

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2016
    Time Lord, hroth, Thwip and 1 other person like this.
  5. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

IMO the best thing about UO is how much artistic freedom you have.

Take for example, on a freeshard I play on, that they added house basements. I put one in my castle.

[​IMG]

I was able to stack multiple pentagrams on top of eachother by using footstools and an apple, and then raising them up each time to place another one. The glowing runes also count as floor tiles like footstools do, so I was able to make a nice animated floor above the roof.

[​IMG]

One time someone actually managed to get a rune into my courtyard, and after making an expensive real estate purchase from me, he got hella buyers remorse and decided to start gating to it from the bank. However, in UO there's virtually a player solution to every problem, and anything is possible if you put your mind to it (and you use two characters with a fully loaded black bag of magic tricks).

I was able to use a certain custom item to the freeshard to place easels above an invisible roof layer inside the basement, so you don't see them unless you're standing on a ladder like in this next photo. They block the courtyard tiles, except for one which I still recall to in order to enter the house safely using recall.

[​IMG]

But I guess the bottom line is, you can really do anything you want. Weather it's changing your hair and beard colors, to designing your paperdoll exactly how you want it, to designing your house exactly the way you want it right down to the last pixel. Observe:

[​IMG]

This is my house beside the Moonglow Telescope. I've done this on a few different shards now. Mind you, this sort of technology wasn't available when the game first launched, it wasn't until years later that custom housing was added and this became possible. I imagine eventually, SOTA will allow for similar user friendlyness in artistic ability. While some may consider this a hideous abomination because it doesn't quite fit in with the era of the game, I like to think a rip in the space time continuum can happen really at any time :)

Mind you, artistic freedom is only one thing that makes UO a great game, and in my opinion the best thing about it, but the PvP is also pretty good if you can get past nearly two decades of cheat technology advancements and still have fun doing it, and also, I like how in UO, you can walk right up to someone and start talking to them, without fear that they'll miss what you said because they weren't facing you and playing in 1st person camera mode hehe.

6. Zerk2012

Zerk2012 Avatar

Still here from time to time but still play UO more this game is never going to be playable. You can take a small group to town FRIENDS LIST ONLY and it's not even playable. Massive FPS drops and not just a bit that can be optimized so it will never be playable if everybody was visible.
    The crafting just SUX big to me reminds me of WarHammer.
    Pretty much wasted my money on a money grab.

7. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

UO player here as well. It has bits and parts of UO e.g. Customizable classless skill system but modernized with skill trees and a deck building hotbar combat system.

Enjoying my time in the game but wished it could be friendlier to newcomers so more will try the game and see that it is actually a very cool game with an active community beneath the imperfect early access exterior.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Time Lord, hroth and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  8. 3dmark

3dmark Avatar

Yep still here. Played UO for years. SotA is obviously more advanced in many ways, but surprisingly, still has a lot to learn from UO.

9. Gatekeeper3

Gatekeeper3 Avatar

Played UO on Atlantic server for years (left mostly due to scammers) followed by Darkside a UO free shard for years. I absolutely fell in love with the freedom of UO. SOTA seems to be moving in a similar direction and I'm excited to see and experience the evolution .

Time Lord, 3dmark, pikegirl and 3 others like this.
  10. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Are all the U7 players gone?
    Have all the U7 players left the game or are there still some people following along? To be honest I had my hopes shattered that this would be like U7. There are too many new concepts and changes to have that U7 feel. Not to say that's a bad thing I still browse here and will try the final release when it comes out in hopes that I will get sucked in. Hasn't happened yet though im afraid.

11. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Vincent Vega [TLC] The Love Crusade - Red Vanq Kryss Naked Mage - Napa Valley November 1997 - 2007

Time Lord, Thwip and Modu like this.
  12. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

UO Beta Tester here ... To me this is something of a "UO2", even though it isn't billed aas such.

Apart from some minor stuff (overland map took some getting used to), this is the MMO I've been waiting for over the last 10 years. I'm hoping this will be the game that brings my entire family in; just like UO did. (3 of 4 kids and my Wife played UO with me).

Time Lord, pikegirl, Thwip and 3 others like this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Same.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Trapper

Trapper Avatar

Still here, havent had a chance to play, still saving for a computer I can use with enough oomph.

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  15. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Present. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Modu

Modu Avatar

Ex-UO player.

I still miss full body looting, body pert jerky, naked pick pockets, nightmare mounts, taming dragons, rune stones, order vs chaos pvp, robbing other peoples houses - so much fun.

I know you always have fond memories of your first love, but damn, UO still has some of the best game play design that never happened again in other games for some reason.

17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Bone armor, orc masks!!! Meeb clump humie! Gib twibute!! :D

Gatekeeper3, Time Lord, Cally and 4 others like this.
  18. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I'm still here ..for now. The bugs that the devs ignore and allow to persist release after release are really starting to get on my nerves though. I think the game does have a uo feel to it in some areas. Wasn't meant to be a UO 2 though. Supposed to be more like the Ultima games really.

19. Modu

Modu Avatar

There's FAR more missing than just bandanas and robes. :)

ooOOOOoOOOoOooOO, anybody?

How about a monster killing you and taking your stuff? I had to hunt down more than a few monsters who stole my s%#t!

Gatekeeper3, Time Lord, Cally and 4 others like this.
  20. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

An Ex Por, Port Ort Grav! Para-lightning. I can't remember if this was fixed in the beta or if it went live with the ability to Paralyze peeps.. and then just burn em down with lighting while they stood helpless. hehe this little bastard was addressed pretty quick if I recall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.