Healing Strangers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sparrowhawk Silvarian, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparrowhawk Silvarian

Sparrowhawk Silvarian Avatar

I'm sorry. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but it is a shame and STUPID I can't heal a stranger in need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't give me immersion and PVP/PVE crud about fairness and crying by PvPers or victims that no one should be able to get involved in a combat situation. Immersion DICTATES you should be able to, that's what makes it REALISTIC! If I pass by someone in need, I will jump in an try to help, HUMAN NATURE, except in this game we can't unless they are part of our group. UHG

This game is supposed to be about community interaction. The current dynamic is diametrically opposed to 'getting involved and interacting'.

What's wrong with being 'FLAGGED' for PvP and a timer if you involve yourself. That's what would happen real life if you chose a side.

The most amazing experiences I've had in a game like this are when total strangers show up and directly effect the dynamic of an engagement I find myself in, for the good or bad.

LET ME HEAL MY FELLOW MAN/WOMAN WHEREVER I FIND THEM!

GRRRR Sick of not being able to do what I should be able to do.

Love ya all!

Duke Asher Silvarian

2. NZguzzi

NZguzzi Avatar

I totally agree.

Also, sadly, today was the first day I went to start the client, then decided there was no point....

3. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

I can understand not allowing it in PvP - seems quite unfair that a loser would get healed and possibly changing the tide of battle.

However, for us PvE - DEFINITELY needs to be allowed and you can heal me anytime you see me dying

Oh and that goes for a Rez - let us Rez each other without grouping sheesh

4. Sparrowhawk Silvarian

Sparrowhawk Silvarian Avatar

Glad you meet me half way Josh.
    Please hear me out....PvP, it is essential that when you set yourself to 'OPEN PvP', anyone should be able to jump in even if you are engaged.
    The consequence for that person who jumps in should be being flagged 'Open PvP' as well and making themselves a target for a set period of time.

Perhaps there could be a 'duel' option separate from 'Open PvP' that allows an 'exclusive fight' without interference from others. A consensual yet exclusive fight if you will.

Concerning NZGuzzi, I understand I think. The game needs 'challenge'. Unfortunately the care bears are, at the moment, setting the tempo for the game.
    Current dominating philosophy seems, at least as I currently read it, 'Let me build and build with no chance of set back due to external factors except for the built in game mechanics'.

We NEED IN-GAME PLAYER VILLAINS!!! They bring out the IN-GAME PLAYER HEROES!! And that brings about the eternal struggle between GOOD AND EVIL beyond just the game story line! That's what we are missing! THAT is immersion! Reality!

Duke Asher Silvarian

K1000, lollie and Lord-Galiwyn like this.
  5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well I would agree with this if it was NOT a consensual game. I wish it was more realistic but the game itself limits this. It is consensual only. That means you have to consent to have spells cast on you good or bad. Its a consequence of the pve mindset that wanted protections. This is why I say I do not want to be healed if you come across me. Its because you should not be able to heal me without my consent. Yes this has been discussed and there should be a box to check to allow healing on you, that would be a good fix. But in all reality, the game is borked from the get go with the consensual mindset, because it creates all of the problems you listed above.

6. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

I'm neither for nor against this, but i want to point something out. At any time you heal some "stranger" you may just end up killing that person if healing strangers is allowed freely. Even during PvE. There currently is a skill called Chaotic Feedback, which is a great skill at times, but has some disadvantages as well. Take a look at the picture behind the spoiler and read the skill description.

[​IMG]
    Now what do you think would happen if you were to heal a person that is using this skill? It would most likely end up with that person being deader then dead. Was that your intent? Most of the time probably not, but the damage is done, you killed a person that probably would have lived if left alone. The road to hell is paved with the best intentions.

I can see the complains already, someone killed me when i wasn't flagged! *insert crying*

But hey..
    You got your wish. :cool:

To be honest i wish we had a lot more stuff like this. Would probably do wonders for peoples awareness.:D

moko likes this.
  7. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

Example time. Ravi and josh (picking two folks already in the thread) are in open pvp. I come in from somewhere else, not knowing josh engaged in pvp.

As a mostly pve player, i should get a popup asking if i am willing to flsg pvp for a time by healing josh, and if i click yes, it should flag me and let me heal josh.

That way it does not encroach on josh and ravis pvp they consented to, or it does and changes the dynamic for us three together.

Another example, if hosh has eluded ravi for a while, and hadnt already signed up for pvp with the oracle, then josh should be unflagged pvp, then i should be able to heal him pve to pve.

8. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I am all for healing anyone. The issues are the potential unintended target issues (which can be used for griefing, supposedly). 3 examples:
    PvE on injured PvE = no issues with healing unless 2nd PvE is attempting to commit suicide via intestinal parasite
    PvP on injured PvP = can change battle and swing it to make it more interesting/frustrating for those involved as a near dead fighter is now suddenly competitive again (surprisingly a lot of PvP players had issues with this in previous posts)
    PvE on injured PvP = see above with no retaliation from PvP that is trying to kill the other PvP player (this would be offset by force flagging PvE to PvP, but this then removes choice as PvP player can run near a PvE player who is injured and healing, still the heal and force the PvP flag and kill the person... kid you not this is one of the arguments used in previous posts to discourage it)

I personally think it is ridiculous that we can't find a good compromise so that those of us who want to help random injured players are able to help random injured players. That is literally the basis of the virtue love/compassion. Help those in need. I don't remember that many people complaining when we were actually able to heal anyone (that's one of the key ways I met most of the people I have on my friends list in the first few months I played), but PvP players complained because of the protected healers healing their opponents (which I am not faulting the complaint, I'm faulting the dev response to nix it for everyone) and we are where we are now.

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

The simple fix is a simple check mark that gives consent. :)

10. Numa

Numa Avatar

Healing Consent to ;

1. Being healed by anyone
    2. Being healed by friends
    3. Being healed by fellow guild members

I like choices too :)

11. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i think @Moiseyev Trueden said it fairly plain instead of my convoluted 'example' :)

just because in some instances it can negatively turn the tide of a battle, doesn't mean it shouldn't ever be done by anyone in any situation for any reason. that is the absolute WRONG mentality the devs should have.

maybe fix the dps race that is pvp, THEN allow random heals unless if you are actively involved in pvp...

one easy fix for this: just don't let it actually heal the pvp'ers, if YOU are flagged pve and try to do the healing. if you are flagged pvp already, you should be able to heal anyone and everyone, but if you are only flagged pve, you should only be able to heal pve players, and npc's not engaged in combat with an avatar. and pets that do not have owners flagged pvp.

as a primary pve player, i would not be opposed if there is just a firewall against me healing someone that is flagged pvp that is also not involved in a fight with another avatar.
    that means, if i'm grouped with someone who is pvp and we are doing some pve stuff, i should be able to heal them - until either they get attacked or they attack someone else, then i can't heal them.
    i'd also not mind if i could not be able to heal them until THEY go to the oracle and confess the sin of attacking another player while grouped with someone who doesn't wanna pvp. :)

so, same scenario, located mostly through a dungeon that isn't instanced. my group mate who is pvp attacks another pvp player, they have to leave the dungeon and speak to the oracle before i can heal them. of course, if we are at a safe spot, they can come back and continue to help me survive the dungeon, if we wish.... :)

same scenario, same dungeon, but my group mate does not do the initial atack - if my group mate survives, because they were just defending themselves and are no longer participating in pvp (they already killed the attacker), i should be able to then heal them after a timer, and then we can continue forth with the pve in the dungeon.

having checks and balances like that, would make it fair for the pvp'ers and fair for the pve'ers, still allow both to group together in their individual play styles not encroaching on each other, in anything except time. :) i think that would be an acceptable natural consequence regardless of who started the pvp fight.

Snazz and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  12. lollie

lollie Avatar

I completely agree - so long as you're already set to PVP status you should be able to jump in any time and heal a player who is also PVP-flagged. No rule saying you have to play fair when you're fighting to the death.

If you're PVE-flagged then you can't heal a PVPer, or they could add a setting saying you're willing to flag when you heal PVPers (default being OFF in settings for all new players who don't check these things).

As for healing in PVE, people running past shouldn't have to be grouped with you to be able to heal you. People should be able to heal anyone in PVE freely.

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

If I am training healing while adventuring I do not want outside heals.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  14. lollie

lollie Avatar

Then yell at the horrible strangers who are trying to save your butt. Not like casting heal on yourself when you are already at full health raises the skill anyway, is it...:rolleyes:

15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Is this a consensual game. Put a toggle check mark and all is fine. I know I know, you cannot understand thais concept, its ok tho.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  16. lollie

lollie Avatar

I've never seen a game that has a consent option for receiving heals...seen it for giving heals where healing a PVP-flagged person would turn you also PVP-flagged though.

Usually in games we're left to look after ourselves as far as social interaction like receiving heals and receiving help goes, like the adults we are.

17. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

That was my thought too. Never understood how those older threads devolved so quickly.
    Oh sure, now you have to complicate for the devs... it'll take months to sort that out. I actually like this idea, and if they ever implement guild ally like they were talking about then they could add that in too. 8^p

I would also add the flag as @lollie and @ThurisazSheol mentioned of heal only PvE or heal PvP & PvE which mixed with the above ideas should eliminate 99% of accidental heals (the 1% being getting heals when you don't want because you have your settings wrong).

So add:

4. Heal PvE only
    5. Heal PvP and PvE

And then you have receiving and giving both covered.

18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Hey I am all for taking away protections, all of them. Lets have no consent then it would solve your problem.

19. Didius

Didius Avatar

I noticed non flagged people can heal pvp people with healing rain. It really doesn't mean anything but that is funny.

Sparrowhawk Silvarian likes this.
  20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i used to love doing driveby heals :) once and only once i got yelled at for it.. that particular game made the person dissappear from you if you ignored them. to fix it, i ignored them and they were happy, and i could still driveby heal.

non issue for you, you play in single player online. :) (lol couldn't resist!)

taht is a bug, as things currently stand, report it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.