am i considderd less of a player in shorud since i dont pvp ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morgoth redbeard, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Yes, but workable solutions can get missed when most people are engaged in arguing over an overly simplistic conceptualization of the world, rather than at leaat attempting to have a dicussion about things as they actually are, with all the nuances and complexity.

I believe people are capable of higher level cognition than you are suggesting. We do not need to reduce everything into a false dichotomy in order to navigate the world. At best it is a distraction from the task at hand, and at worst it actively hinders positive progress.

It's also a large springboard for trolling. I think most of the people in this thread understand that engaging PvP is not an either/or proposition, and those who keep attempting to characterize it that way are either ignoring all the evidence to suggest otherwise, or being intentionally disingenuous with their arguments.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    Fister Magee likes this.
  2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Oh they don't matter.
    What dose matter is the amount of ppl that want a meaningful pvp.
    Full loot and res point farming aren't part of that for most of us.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Fister Magee like this.
  3. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

Believing it and actually seeing it happen are two different things.

This is precisely why people get blindsided by this stuff. They base all their solutions on the "what should be" instead of the "what is".

Should there be a dichotomy? No.
    Is there a dichotomy? Yes.

It's not false. It's very real and not going to go away because you keep telling people it's false. Accept that it exists and propose some real solutions based in reality instead of the moral compass in your head.

If you don't get what I'm saying, ask John Lennon how it turned out for him. Oh wait, you can't.

Being a realist isn't negative. Realists actually get things done.

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  4. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

You are who you are and you choose the path of which you want to follow. You dont have to be a lemming and follow the masses. Chart your own course and do what you want. I have pvp'd in other games and I dont care for it myself. I will do it if i have to but the point here is you are not forced to pvp. If you want to occasionally pvp that is fine too. Its not like you have to do it all the time. I see folks run around with pvp tags yet they are out there harvesting and such. So its all up to you. YOU choose the playstyle you want to do and dont worry about the others.

Soylent Green likes this.
  5. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

Exactly, but keep in mind two things:

1. Meaningful PvP is what is required. Nonsensical game mechanics to foster PvP isn't meaningful. I'd rather they come up with some actual well-thought-out ideas instead of what looks like some passing thought while squeezing one out on the toilet.
    2. You and many of us here don't care about full loot and res point farming but many new players who hear the game has PvP will. Back to my response to @Jaanelle DeJure , we need to start with acknowledging what is the reality and build solutions from there. Unless everyone here is fine with a game populated by a handful of people. Can't build an economy, a role play environment, or more importantly a world with that.

6. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Realism vs idealism... another false dichotomy. ;) We can't really have a conversation, if the premise of the conversation is you making a false characterization of me, and me defending myself against it. We immediately would get derailed and sidetracked.

And that is indeed my point.

In my version of realism- we should accept the reality of the situation that there aren't simply "two camps" present in this conversation, but that there are many.

In your version of realism- we should apparently marginalize any opinions that don't squarely fit into the "two camps" picture, and somehow come up with "actual well thought-out-ideas" to forward as solutions.

What possible kind of solution do you imagine would satisfy both the hardcore PvP player, and the ******** PvE player?

Rather, it is more realistic to "accept the reality" that both of these two groups- the hardcore PvP player and the ******** PvE player- collectively represent a minority of overall players. The majority of players are interested in both aspects of the game, to some degree.

This game will never appeal to those who want a more MUSH-y type of experience that doesn't involve any kind of gamified darkness or evil. That wouldn't be a "Lord British Ultimate RPG".

Neither will this game ever appeal strongly to those who want a no-holds-barred PvP free for all that is all about glorifying Machivellian principles of ultra-competition and domination. That wouldn't be a "Lord British Ultimate RPG."

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    Fister Magee and Alexander like this.
  7. Vasflam2

Vasflam2 Avatar

Look up the word Risk as this has nothing to do with "deserving." Why gamble if there is no chance for a reward?

8. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

This being the only meaningful example of risk/reward in the game which also happens to align with the interests of those shouting for more sheep to slaughter, which the devs have tried to satisfy more than once, doesn't strike you as a bit suspicious?

9. Vasflam2

Vasflam2 Avatar

No it does not. We were promised reasons to PVP and so far have very few. Your complaint about feeling like "less of a player" is ironic considering how little love the PVP crowd has received compared to everyone else.

Fister Magee likes this.
  10. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Remind me as to which other groups have the devs actively recruiting additional players for them?

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  11. Vasflam2

Vasflam2 Avatar

I don't understand what you are getting at with this question?? I, along with a lot of other PVP players, paid for this game years ago. Why are the devs treating us like "less of a player?"

12. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

If you are being treated as "less of a player" then other groups must be getting better treatment. The devs are currently running a recruitment drive for your group, so clearly they must be doing at least that much for other groups, right? Have any examples of how, say, single player supporters are getting better treatment than PVP players?

13. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

@ OP - Yes, and a coward, also for not flagging. You should hang your head in shame.

Lacking PVP content?

No, but you are lacking players that want to PVP because there is nothing substantial in this game that makes it fun or rewarding. If I PVP it will not be to go out and kill people farming Exp and resources.

Content? How many unique scenes with amazing art are out there currently with more being developed for PVP only. While the masses that want to PVE get to go through the same cloned unfinished scenes?

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Fister Magee like this.
  14. Vasflam2

Vasflam2 Avatar

Logic would dictate that the single player/roleplayers don't need a "recruitment drive" because they are the largest groups in the game. The PvP crowd has been patiently waiting in the wings while everyone else has been getting theirs.

Stop acting like a victim every time the PVP crowd gets tossed a bone.

Armar, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Fister Magee like this.
  15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I wonder who would act the victim if it would be the other way around and people playing in SPO would get a bonus...

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  16. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Im actually waiting for you to post something meaningful instead of making non fact based assumptions.

You dont even add any meaningful suggestions, just garbage unproductive criticism.

What is MEANINGFUL pvp for you, isnt the same to someone else.
    Has anyone actully said that this flag bonuse was the solution and long term plan? no.

I said it before. And ill say it agian. Its a bandaid to at least have SOME breath of life for the pvp starved players here. And its implemented in a way that doesnt effect anyone who doesnt want to partake.

I know PvP has increased, as ive got whole groups that are running into other groups.
    Is the ganking bad? yea its there. and adds excitement to any grinding your doing, but theres also real pvp sparked from it. example. you kill me ans buddy, now we stop farming and hunt you down. this leads to group on group fighting for a little while. ( classic meaningful pvp imo ). fun for everyone involved, and the ability to walk out as soon as not interested anymore.

Any premise that the bonuse HURT pvp is not true. And any argument about it effecting single players or friends mode players is pretty weak.

Armar, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Fister Magee like this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

hmm well I see many playing. I know I keep really busy.

Fister Magee and MrBlight like this.
  18. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Well, 10% less playing than last month, which was 10% less than the month before, and so on.

19. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

We should be grateful we get any XP at all, since there is no risk that someone else has blungedoned the various woodland creatures into pulp for the 10th time that day in SPO, we don't deserve any XP.

20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Other MMOs show that there are other ways to handle this. Ressources that can be harvested by everyone without having to compete for them. The same goes for monsters. Just in SotA this is not possible and instead there is this bonus which splits the community even further.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.