Resource node discussions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I really would like the dev's to rethink resource nodes in SOTA. Lets look at it 6 months after persistence from a hard core casual player perspective.

6 months into persistence, I have around 7000 animal hides in my chest which means that I probably have farmed a good 10000. I feel that this is basically perfect, I get them doing just about anything I normally do in the world... wolf jumps me and bam... I have a hide. If I did leather work, I would be happy since I can farm them easy and buy them cheap.

But people are right, cotton, ores and wood are ridiculously grindy. I have pulled in about 2000 cotton which sit in my chest (barely use it) and I probably have had less wood then that (I use it more and Im lucky to ever have any at all and cant find any for sale). I have pulled in tens of thousands of ore but at an extreme expense of about 100 copper ore per hour (various reason for this number I wont go in to).

I seriously think you guys just need to give up more material on existing nodes, double them. So what... instead of 100 copper per hour I get 200 copper per hour.... yet the point is I just spend friggen an hour in front of my computer doing nothing but watching my toon hit rocks. Seriously think about that. I would ask the devs to test this out yourself, start at 8AM and go down into the Epitaph with your toon with the goal of farming 1000 copper.... tell me if you think that is fun. More so, understand that in the end you'll probably only end up with like 10-20 pieces of armor out of it. Prices for these materials have gone nuts, 5500+ for 100 silver/gold ore and such. That is 55 gold per piece. Think about that.

So please rethink these materials.

2. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Mining, lumberjacking and cloth gathering are in fact way too grindy. That's been my experience as well.

My idea, would be to make these resources abundant as they would be naturally but make higher quality resources dependent on limiting factors.

K1000 and 2112Starman like this.
  3. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

I harvest a lot of wood, fish, and pretty much anything else I come across.

First, I agree with the OP on most points. I think the solution is indeed more reward; but, would like to see it based on BOTH skill and location.

So a tree harvested in longfall might give wood + (longfall moss) and a tree on the perennial coast might give wood + (swamp crawler). This would help the economy and give players reason to travel/explore greatly IMO.

Each of these items could be more rare than just wood. Yes I get Hemlock borers, etc.. but their needs to be something more... some rare (and regional!) items. Burled wood, woodpecker beaks, fluffy moss, etc..

I actually did harvest a Black Pearl ONCE from fishing, I'm level 89 fishing and have fished a lot. While I was very stoked and even took a screenshot, I'd still like a treasure chest, ship anchor, or biting crab (pet)... or something .... more..

Stundorn, Hazard, Xandra7 and 3 others like this.
  4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Agreed, I dont know why I didnt throw this in. The difficulty of the area already makes farming the nodes slower so they should give more.

K1000 likes this.
  5. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

After that, the fun gets even better, sitting HOURS and HOURS on front of your computer, just watching how you smelt your ore....
    Everyone knows how ugly that is if you want to smelt 5.000 or even 10.000 ore...

Nadomir and 2112Starman like this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I smelted on sat with my alt.

I did about 1000 silver ore and 1000 copper ore. It was casual, meaning I stepped away at times but I started at 9:00 AM and was done at like 1 PM. That is a lot of time sitting there at a computer doing 20 at a time. Again, I would ask a dev to load up 2500 ore in their backpack at 8:00AM tomorrow and smelt it all.

In both cases of grinding ore and smelting ore, if I didnt have an alt doing this, if this was my main... I would not be playing this game. Luckily with an alt and dual screens, I do this with an alt as I can go out and have fun playing with my main.

K1000 likes this.
  7. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

So did i with an alt since it is just ridiculous boring.

However, using an alt (extra account that is) shouldn't be the way to enjoy the game somewhat more...

Stundorn, K1000 and 2112Starman like this.
  8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Totally agree, imagine how I feel. I still have 1000+ copper and 3000ish silver still to smelt and I cant even keep up with it even with an alt working a normal job during the day.

K1000 likes this.
  9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Fishing re work is coming - I also am excited for it for this exact reason.. i imagine they are going to do more tehn just add new types of fish .. but heres hoping

K1000 likes this.
  10. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

With all the mountains around Novia you would think there would be more extermal ore nodes than there are. Having to go to a mine can be tedious not to mention dealing with the mobs in those regions as well. Makes it rather hard on lower level avatars but if all you want is ore its just kinda crazy. Respawn is very slow as well.

11. cyathome

cyathome Avatar

Gathering is brutal I totally agree. I have to farm silver ore nodes for 10 hours a day, for a week to get enough supplies to raise up a single MW skill.

Sadly this isn't brutal enough for Portalarium. They have plans to nerf node spawns which was supposed to drop on us this release but was pushed back, and may come in r38 :(

codedragon76, Xandra7 and K1000 like this.
  12. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

we need a little bit of realism... cut an antirely forest to build a bow is insane... and for the ingots ? working a day to take minerals.. and when you try to buff a sword... the sword disappear when failing .. where are the metal i used to make the sword???

1 simply change... when failing an enchantment.. the IRON/GOLD/SILVER used on the item needs to be CONVERTED on METAL SCRAPS... (and re-working on metal scraps... recover 80% of metal used)

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I just want to point out that you can grow cotton and once they implement the public agriculture areas, you'll be able to do so without a lot.

K1000 likes this.
  14. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

I disagree with op. Crafters should ideally be purchasing their raw materials from those that want to gather. I fully expect Portalarium to reduce the amount or resources received, at least in friends / solo mode. The problem as I see it is we don't have enough of a player base to support those that want to gather and sell their gathered goods.

King Robert and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  15. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

All mines are friends/solo.

And before Port makes such an change they should add zones & mines first that actually really support and are meant for group/multi play...

K1000 likes this.
  16. wmidgard

wmidgard Avatar

problem is the xp needid to craft .
    we get that from gathering .
    @2112Starman howmuch xp do you get from melthing all that ore ?

Xandra7, K1000 and Tiki Pirate like this.
  17. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

Yep, looking forward to it! We really need more uses/variants (more recipes) for more mats. For example, a cabinet made from pine should look different than one made from maple, etc...

I hope fish are an ingredient for plant fertilizer. Currently the fish cooking recipes are very under-powered and all provide the essentially the same buffs.

K1000 and MrBlight like this.
  18. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

treasure hunting.
    Maps. That would make me so happy.

discipleofweb and K1000 like this.
  19. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

I agree with the OP. There must be a way to make things less grindy and more fun.

Womby likes this.
  20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I have to wonder what the actual statistics are between what's being harvested vs crafted. If those numbers are good then making harvesting easier would be a mistake.

In any case, I listen to all this and I have to think to myself.. if you don't enjoy it.. don't do it! This is a good thing. I means if you hate it so much you'll stop harvesting and start buying. So people who DO enjoy it will turn a profit. Everything in crafting being quick and easy for all is not a good thing. People complaining in this case can actually be a good sign that things are as they should be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.