K’rul open PvP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tetsu Nevara, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

What you consider meaningful PVP is at its core the biggest enemy of open development for PVP here in SotA. This game has become what seems to be before anything else, a housing/deco collection game. Maybe it's always been that and I'm just now seeing it that way... The PVP aspects of this game get nerfed to kingdom come every time things start to get interesting and anytime the devs throw the PVP community a bone, people in the forums lose their minds.

The PVP players that want a complex, challenging, and meaningful PVP experience where choices matter have dwindled and are few enough in numbers now that it doesn't seem like the devs care to press the PVP issues with the community. Making an alternate PVE scene for Blood Bay is probably a great move for SotA - but it'll be terrible for PVP. In my world, that's called "the writing on the wall".

I'll be a part of SotA for years to come and will always be flagged for PVP - but I'll never expect it to become anything more than it is now.

@Stundorn, hit me up in game sometime - I'll duel with you. :)

2. Numa

Numa Avatar

One of the key passages in the SOTA kickstarter pagesis :

Shroud of the Avatar is infused with rich storylines, deeply integrated into game play, developed by Best Selling Author Tracy Hickman and RPG legend Richard Garriot

Note that by gameplay it means PvE/PvP gameplay. Let's see what the Blood Bay scene brings to the table first in enriching the overall SotA storyline. And the only way to do that since this is a PvP scene is to flag, participate then critique.

All other debates can come after that as you will.

3. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Avatar

So you have killed the troll boss, dragon, lich boss, and golems, explored every inch of the place? I've done a lot, but I haven't downed the 2 ferocious ancient obsidian golems :p

It does have rather dull visual appeal, but the variety of fights/tactics required and size and complexity of the dungeon is nice + a few traps and secrets.

Also, you cant trade bones and skulls from pvp for any rewards or people would simply farm themselves/trade kills.

4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Bloodbay is exclisive pvp content.. there are lots of examples of this currently in the game. Why not give the players who enjoy a play style stuff thats fun for them? Whos it hurt there will be lots of non pvp dungeons but pvp duneneers are excluded.

Sure u can toggle and do dungeons but its not the real thing is it.

5. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Avatar

What about all that exclusive art and decoration stuff for walleteers? Nobody complaining about that :p

6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Brass Knuckles Why it is not the real thing?
    What or why does it need to be exclusive?
    And you dont answer my question.
    Why should there be ever exclusive content to a playergroup?

Please someone give me an answer what qualifizies a playergroup to have exclusive content?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Xandra7 likes this.
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Really you really want to try and work that argument - what are PvP zones - they are zones specifically designed for ONE group.

Answer give in your own words.

BTW do NOT come back with PvE can enter PvP zones - you know full well that is not how it works. Yeah PvE can come in but you are F O R C E D into PvP.

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

If that is the answer, well i just LOL
    And you know why.
    It is like adapt or die.
    Mist simple and stupid argument of a Military guy about real life.
    But guess what, it's a game a ROLEPLAYGAME and neither reality nor just a big Battleground. It's an environment to play in and with, and battles arent the only way to play. There are many more reasons and possibilities.
    You may dont want them or dont like them or arent able to partake, but this shouldnt the cause to seperate all this from created content to just one war playing group.

Xandra7 and FrostII like this.
  9. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Avatar

My Role: "Kill all humans"

*Beep Boop*

10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

And i dont like to be forced if consensual was advertised and it's absolutely not neccessary to give pvp a matter and meaning.

11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Hey Developers look at this - there it is, there is NO reason to need to give PvP a Matter and meaning.

So they are GtG, PvP is all they need.

LMAO

12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

There are not arguments or answer beside the ones i already gave.
    Oh and of course some of
    Adapt or die and You can buy a picture in the Addon Store.

Wow...
    Oh no wait, sad and really ehrm weak.
    There is nothing, absolutely nothing what justifys pvp exclusive content beside titles, wearables and decorating.

No scene, no dungeon, no recipe or item etc..
    This is just maculation, and you all know it.

13. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Avatar

Entering the zone or flagging requires consent.

Play something like Darkfall if you have the guts to learn what non-consensual pvp is.

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Im not real sure what has been nerfed about pvp before except that you cant heal non-pvp people. It just never got worked on extensivly.

At one point they made flagged people attackable by anyone, but pvpers hated the thought of being ambushed unexpectedly so that feature was reverted.

Given non skill based ways to mitigate magic damage, cc's, and some incentive for ridking the loss of our progress, I and many others would be all over it.

We have no desire to grind, and therefore are not juggernaughts, so its not fun to throw ourselves into the jaws of folks so they can be hateful or whatever without so nice goodies on the other side worth the effort.

15. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

You are the one making stupid comments but maybe you are just roleplaying it right. ;)

16. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Nerfed - maybe you missed what's happening to the PP mechanic... it's not being dialed back - it's been nerfed to oblivion. And I don't even play the thief - but I like the idea of hunting them and combating against them. That entire style of play basically just got shut out of the game. Stand by for all homes in PVP scenes to become safe place panic rooms...

There are ways to mitigate risk until you're ready for more... I personally spent all of R35 and much of R36 promoting Open PVP for newbs and sheep. And there are others doing training events... But just so you know - what's been happening is exactly the style of play the game encourages based on the mechanics we've been given for PVP.

From here on out - I'm probably just going to PK anyone I see wearing a flag that's just out grinding for XP... this is the game Portalarium made for us - so this is how we should all play.

.... nah, I can't do that either. I'm just going to look for meaningful PVP elsewhere. PVP here is what it is - either do it or don't.

mass and Garfunkel Humperdinck like this.
  17. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

Absolutely. It's great that PVP will get some rewards moving forward. At least there will be some reason to try it now.

However the point beautifully articulated by @Womby is that the incentives appear to gloss over the unappealing PVP gameplay. How long will PVP last if it continues consist of sneaking up on someone picking cotton, unleashing a nuke, and winning worthless junk? Personally I'd prefer they fixed that over a special hat or something.

But we all want something different out of this. I want deep strategy, some want quick rewards, and others just want to grief. We're unlikely to all be perfectly happy.

So let's see what Blood Bay brings to the table. Port has spent dozens of releases on housing, and admittedly it's pretty awesome. If they put a few releases into PVP it might be just as awesome. :)

Numa and Duke Avery like this.
  18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I dont understand how being out of combat to pickpocket nerfs pvp.

19. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I prefer that the devs add such PvP scenes that are not connected to the quests/story and make them exclusive to PvP than adding PvP to the quests of the game, effectively making players who want to just enjoy the quests lamb for grievers or shove them away into some ghetto tunnel.

Numa and Garfunkel Humperdinck like this.
  20. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

People destroying threads with the ever popular Pick Pocket whining. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.