Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Dealing with the bandits at Upper Fortus

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by redfish, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

So, I enter the Upper Fortus scene, kill some kobolds who are fighting with bandits. As soon as the kobolds are dead, the bandits divert their attention to attacking me!

Whaaaaat?

So, I don't know if this scene ties into any quests in the game, or will just be a fighting/farming scene, but it seems to me that this is a perfect example for how non-violent methods of dealing with enemies can be fit into the game. I'm reminded, for instance, of the Owl's Nest bandits, who you can fight with but will only attack you if you attack first.

That's not what I would suggest here. What I'd suggest is that if you help them kill the kobolds, they'll stop, gather around, and stand in front of your path. Some of them could have their arms folded in a menacing manner, and others might get out their swords in a combat stance, but not attack. Some of them would bark dialogue like "Halt!" or "Where do you think you're going?" to let the player know they're open for conversation.

You could then talk to them, and they'd be open for a bribe -- a toll -- to let you pass them. Otherwise, you can attack them. And they'll attack you, if you attempt to run by them without paying the bribe. This, of course, wouldn't be the end. After all, the bandits further down in the scene don't know you paid them this bribe. You might have to bribe some more bandits, and some more. Costing you a pretty penny to get past them all. One alternative idea would be for the first bandits to give you a token to let you pass everyone, but that wouldn't be as fun, and would too easily reduce the risks of the scene.

In the bandit's hideout, the buildings along the canyon, there could even be some members of the group who will trade or sell you stuff. These are shady men, so of course, the sellers would be shady. Fences, for instance, selling or bartering in stolen goods -- including goods they stole. Some might be less shady, like some might be willing to trade or sell you supplies, like dry foods, provisions, and the like. Of course, these are bandits, so you could also kill them, and steal part of their sales inventory.

There also might be members willing to duel you on a bet. You start a duel with a bandit, and others gather around you two to watch the fight. You win the fight, you win some of your toll money back. Maybe more than your toll money. Either these can be fatal fights, to the death; or along the lines of the fistfights in Skyrim, which stop right before anyone dies.

The homes, and some of the patrols, can also have guard dogs, which the bandits could hold back from attacking you if they were giving you a chance. If you crossed them, the dogs would be the first on your tail. Holding the dogs on chains would be the most effective way to show this, and would be great to see in the game, but not necessary if impossible. You attack their dogs, and they see, they attack you of course. It would also be interesting to be able to throw the guard dogs meat, and poison the meat, so to sedate the dogs.

A few of these bandits -- if you don't kill them first -- could also give you quests. Not pleasant quests. Quests like "rob these villagers for me," "steal this from the kobolds."

More storytelling in these adventure scenes!

Owlbear, Halvard, monkeysmack and 9 others like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

I've been thinking about this last part more, and how there could be both quests between the kobolds and bandits targeting each other. You choose sides as long as you're in the scene, and help out the side you want. Out of scene quests would be interesting too, but its another thought.

But a lot of the ideas I laid out,
    - Bribing mobs
    - NPC dueling
    - Guard dogs
    - Stolen goods fences
    - Bartering
    - Picking sides in mob fights
    - Intra-scene quests

Would work well in a lot of adventure scenes. I was kind of inspired by Upper Fortus because of how fun the layout is, and how you only get introduced to the bandits after you edge past the kobolds.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Spoon, monkeysmack and Leelu like this.
  3. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

As far as this relating to the other thread about grinding, I think it addresses what I find wrong with grinding, there is no story telling. If there is going to be grinding, I would like to see options within the scene that trigger different mobs or events. Using your examples,
    You come to toll station and pay it. As you walk through the city, there are dogs chains up non aggressive and you take part in things like NPC dueling etc. OR You don't pay the toll and everyone starts attacking you. As you start killing everyone, some mobs go and release the dogs and call for guards... something like that. It will still be a grind, but a "dynamic grind." That's the phrase I'm coining.

Also, I know people can't stand to mention WoW, but I think a reputation system would enhance the main ideas of this thread. I like the idea of knowing where I stand in the eyes of mob factions when, for example, kobolds and orcs are fighting.

Leelu and Innascual Inch like this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

@licemeat,

Yea I think there's a lot more they can do to move away from grinding as the main form of gameplay, but even as far as the grinding part goes I think they can make it better too...

Leelu likes this.
  5. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Would be really cool if the way you are dressed influenced how mobs react to you. If you are wearing the duke crown, NPCs in towns get down on one knee. If you are dressed like a rogue, other bandit types ask you if you want to join them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.