Trolls are gods now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NZguzzi, Mar 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NZguzzi

NZguzzi Avatar

Admittedly I have been gone a few months.
    The Troll in Nightshade pass was always a tough fight for me solo, but now...
    I do absolutely nothing to this guy, his regeneration rate is insane even when burning.
    It was laggy, I was running in all directions like my movement was impaired? ( maybe a new troll ability )
    Spam knockdowns ( I even tried the jump through tactic )
    The Troll running off in all weird directions at the speed of light? ( He on something? )
    Sword and board was doing pathetic damage on him, just one hit from him and I was losing 200 health.
    I don't get it.
    Am I being punished for something?
    My build is total gimp now?
    I was sword and earth magic.
    The spells seem to take longer to cast?

I am not saying I want a walk in the park, but if a mob is conning yellow to me then it should be fairly evenly matched?
    I am doing 12 damage with a sword and my skills are at 100 blades... I mean come on ;)
    I feel strange, like the game has just pissed me off and spat on me, punished me for ever coming back.
    Am I done here?
    It feels like I have no place in this game now.

2. Thief

Thief Avatar

Try the dungeons with pure warrior build. Your life expectancy will be matter of seconds. Going there with a group also does no good. When the mobs get agro on you... you are done for.
    I have a really really good chainmail crafted by one of the best.
    12+ gm skills including all needed protections. 10+ skills fighting support skills at 95+.
    My blade miss the target like lvl 1 goblin and get constant 200-300 fire damages (I have 100 att in fire 93 fire resistance, nice level of douse..)

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I have a similar build to yours and have solo's the troll in Nightshade in R39.
    Tomorrow I'll head there and see.

TheMaddHungarian likes this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome back and yes there have been lots of changes. Resistances came in, creatures got more abilities. Eating is necessary and you can eat up to 2 Foods lower-tier and higher tier potions and buffs and 2 blessings from the devotionals are more necessary before you attempt harder battles. Better armor helps. A lot of bosses aren't solo-able by everyone.

So perhaps if we knew more about your build etc and what you're doing and yes things have changed. It is more challenging every where wbich forces us to make plans and think about what we're doing. It also adds value to potions and the right armor. It makes them viable and valuable to make and sell. Well finally some things matter.:)

Things aren't perfect and still being worked on all the time. It is nothing against you, it's just the game being developed.

So my advice is tell others about what you're doing with your character and perhaps someone will chime in with feedback for you. Again welcome back and I'm Majoria in game if I can help.
    Edited

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  5. NZguzzi

NZguzzi Avatar

My build
    100 blades
    80 in all blade skills
    tactics with my mains at 80

I have polearm skill at 84
    my polearm skills 60-75
    shield skills all 70+
    Earth magic is 102 attune
    I have healing skills at 60-75
    I use heavy armor
    standing hp before buffs is 600
    stamina is 475

My gear is all guild made and quite good, most 3/3

majoria70 likes this.
  6. Diminio

Diminio Avatar

If you have polearm, I find using Skewer (90 ish) stops them running around. Sweeping attack (90 ish) to bring the troll to his knees (and sometimes onto it's bum). Always stand behind him whenever possible (for those nice crits). The only other attack I use is puncture (90 ish skill). (ish cause I am not in game right now to confirm).

Regarding the confusion, once you are afflicted by it, tap your 'up' 'down' 'left' 'right' keys to find out which one is forward (or which will move you forward), then move behind him - at this point it's at it's most susceptible to damage I find as he tries to kick you; manoeuvre behind him and get 3-4 hit's on him (often crits since you're behind).

Using magic on trolls is not very good (from lore I believe they have high magic resistance and they were given more magic resistance a release or two ago).

When the troll is about to die, try to be behind it as it will still do the damage it always has if it lands on top of you.

This is what I do to kill them.

I use polearm as an off spec for fighting Lich's, ghosts, trolls, ele's in the mines. I have a main spec of earth for pretty much everything else.

I like that it's not necessarily the gear or weapon but positioning and diligence that make all the difference in the troll fights.

Best of luck to you:)

7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

The AI had to be tweaked, they were far too easy to solo before. They're suppose to be hard, not something you just run circles around and easily drop in 2 or 3 minutes.

Its still possible to take them down solo, it just takes a bit more strategy than it did before.

TheMaddHungarian, MrBlight and Net like this.
  8. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

I don't know what changed but currently what's going on here is the trolls animations don't matches actions whatsoever.

9. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

I just took one down with a sword build (just gm blade) with PLEDGE ARMOR and ADD ON STORE 2H sword. So they are still very eazy to kill. The thing is that the animations arent accurate to what the troll is doing so you cant know what hes doing (throwing a rock or pushing you back or slam you or whatever a troll can do). I dont know if the stun bug has been fixed yet...(cant use a glif after several stuns or just one)

MrBlight likes this.
  10. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I tend to think that the design is such that only the top players can solo them, any other players would need to group up with a top player to be able to fight the few interesting enemies that exist. Builtin system that ensures Port's best customers get to be the party leaders when they want.

11. null2

null2 Avatar

It is likely that your gear isn't that great anymore if you have been gone for a few releases. For example, chests used to give +4 of an attribute for a major enchant. Now it gives 6 for my enchant level.

Here are some things that might help.

* Confusion is what makes you move weird. The troll casts it when he lands his jump

*Regeneration can be mitigated by using rend and poison. You can have 3 rends active at a time. I usually get 3 off then stack them for better damage.

* Troll dodging skills. Many of the troll's attacks can be dodged by jumping or by moving behind him. Use these to your advantage.

* Buffs. Get 2 blessings from POTs. Get some food in your avatar. Create a buff deck (we have 12 slots now), 5 stack your buffs before going into battle. Here is my buff deck:

[​IMG]

* Potions. If you are struggling, try a potion of regeneration or a potion of might.

12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Just like most things... you put the time in, you reap the rewards. The people you are talking about have 1000's of hours in this game.

The best customer argument is lost on me here. All this has to do with is playtime and effort, not how much money you spend on the game.

MrBlight and Stundorn like this.
  13. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

He's faster and they tweaked the AI a bit. He does seem to spaz out a little, but it's still pretty obvious which move is coming next. You just need to react faster now and cross your fingers he doesn't go rock throw crazy.

Dirk Hammerstrike likes this.
  14. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

And the animations are not in line with actions.

15. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I can't even touch the troll anymore. He also rubber bands badly if you try to kite him so that is not an option either. I assume they made them pretty immune to magic as my ice arrow is only doing 40 damage. I'm GM icy breath and 150ish attune...so I have given up on soloing him.

Stundorn likes this.
  16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im noticing more and more that you pretty much need to be a death mage to take big mobs out or do good farming (or PvP for that matter). This really sucks for me because I really dont like death magic, I dont like having to pump hp for focus all the time. They really need to make these other skills more viable for stuff.

17. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Did you bug report it? Last night when I killed him, I did not experience that.

18. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

We're you in friends only? It consistently happens to me in multiplayer.

I didn't bug report it because I'm bitter about not receiving my bug items after attenwood said he would put me on the board :)

19. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That sounds like lag. I wouldn't have reported that either. Has happened to me from time to time, but that isn't something new to r40 for me. Your probably just noticing it more now cause they turned up his speed.

20. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

At least in R39, I had a much harder time solo'ing the troll in MPO. Could beat consistently in SPO. Just lag differences. DOT is your friend. And have sprint or similar when he rubber-bands

Adam Crow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.