What makes you a believer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

SotA is a niche game that is directed at people willing to accept a lot of compromises. The PvP is not as deep as in PvP-focused games. The story and quests are not as deep as in story-focused games, the single-player-part is not as deep as in single-player focused games... So people who are looking for a solid SP game won't find this in SotA. People who are looking for a solid PvP experience or great quests won't find this in SotA.
    The other problem is that the whole market for onlinegames, especially the MMORPG market, is extremely segregated. Also if one plays one MMORPG it is hard to convince him to play another one, too. Those games eat up a lot of time. So if someone invests time in World of Warcraft, helping his guild, if he has friends there and his daily activities, why should this person play another MMORPG that eats up as much time? He would have to neglect one game, which many people simply are not willing to do. Look back at what happened when WoW was released. The whole gaming market was on the brink of collapse because people played WoW and next to nothing else.

Then there is the question of why people should switch from "their" MMORPG to SotA - especially if they have to deal with so many compromises.
    Positioning a MMORPG on the market today is very difficult. You have to catch and convince the players, make them believe that it is worth playing the game. And - sorry to say that - I can't see this with SotA.
    The game went persistent a year ago and won't "launch" for another six months. So people who want to play "from the beginning" will be faced with veteran players which can be demotivating. Then the learning curve is rather steep and we are confronted with rather "uninspired" and not very deep quests.
    Then we have all of the negativity that accompanies the game for a very long time now which can have a negative effect on new players. Additionally players are used to better graphics, better UI, more easy to use systems etc.
    All in all SotA will have a very hard time becoming a successful game.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Kaisa, Time Lord, Mykll and 4 others like this.
  2. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I believe it will-be free to play.

3. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

There is no meaningful end game contents..
    You get to the end, look around... and think "wtf did I put all this time I for?"

The people who enjoy this game, Are the people who don't actually play it....
    But dress up in a costume from the cash shop and larp with other larper.

Think about it, after you're all geared up...... You realize that there's nothing to fight.

Dragon? That's not a boss, **** loot and can be solo'd easy
    Troll? That's not a boss, **** loot and can be solo' d easy
    The fall? Why am I here? Ooo to fight a Dragon clone in a different colored box.
    The rise? The mega lichboss at the end floor has no loot pool that only drops from it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

What I would like to understand is why this community is hell bent on repeating the same topics.

Frederick Glasgow and Elwyn like this.
  5. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

Because they have yet to be answered or corrected The dead stay silent, the living make noise.

Kaisa, Mykll and Autumn Willow like this.
  6. mercster

mercster Avatar

I'm juuuust wise enough not to predict anything. Belief doesn't count for much when it comes to this game. I hope it succeeds.

I say they "release" in December for Christmas. It won't be sufficiently done then, but it sure won't in July. If they are going to release way too early, the holiday bump seems like a better time than July.

7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

That seems to be no major Problem, at least to me, i will need a lot of month, maybe yeras to do that and if i stick to my "Seidr" Class mage, unwilling to level all skills or wearing a Chainmail, a Shield etc. it will maybe stay group content for me.

I'm trying to establish a group of passionate RPvX players around me and play SotA like a Coop Sandbox with massive of content - at least to me as the casual gamer i am.

SotA is the game where i with others could play the way i like the most - there are other games out there what are maybe "better" abot this or that gamemechanic, but there is no game around that satsifies me like SotA does in a whole.
    It just plays tough and rough and feels less rewarding, but maybe in the end, if i (we) keep it up and stick to our plans and ideas etc... it will be rewarding.

That's not rewarding anymore for people who are able to do the things of the quote is maybe true and dissatisfying for them, but thats not my problem at all.
    Normal players will need 1-2 years to get to that point

8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I believe that could be right, yet more profitability so ;) Heroes of Newerth began as a pay account game and is now the most popular game in Thailand and "free to play". They are a game developed in Kalamazoo Michigan. 6 to 8 out of 10 computers in any Thailand internet cafes are being used "right now this very minute, from sun up to long past the sun down" for that game, HON.

BTW to Everyone: The heading of this thread is "what makes you a believer"... not "what makes you a cynic?" :D we need it's own thread for that, but I think their may be enough out there aye?
    I'm cynical about some things also, but that wasn't the OP ;) You can read those comments of mine elsewhere.
    ~Time Lord~:D

9. mercster

mercster Avatar

Slightly off-topic, but it sounds like you have made some peace with the game, and taking the matter into your own hands by playing the way YOU want to, instead of lamenting that everything is not perfect! I'm glad you're on the path to having fun, and congratulations!

Time Lord and Stundorn like this.
  10. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Success will be defined by Port I guess. How many subs do they need to keep the lights on and make a profit. At the moment it seems as though it is going to be a niche game (not always a bad thing) and I suspect Port are maybe aware of this.

It will need some really good press at some point. The sort of negativity we've seen on somewhere like Steam, whether you agree with it or not, can often tend to stick even if it is unfairly so as development progresses. I think the big problem SoTA has is that it will probably be releasing or at least still developing around the release of games like Pantheon, who have done a really good publicity job by using a very popular Twitch streamer.

I wonder if people will be put off on release coming into a game that should feel new, but already has a bloated top end player base, housing situation and economy. That may be the thing that puts players off the most. I would consider playing again if a wipe was something they were looking at.

Autumn Willow likes this.
  11. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Because this isn't only a game - I believe it is a social experiment which will be analyzed by some professionals :p

12. mercster

mercster Avatar

Eventually we will have the ability to have alts (more than one avatar), so I'm sure that people will use that, and adventure along with any new people that come into the game. I don't think new people will be that bothered by it, unless:
    1. They are super competitive "power gamers" who feel they must always keep up with the most powerful players (this isn't an inherently bad type of player, but I don't think SOTA is the right game for them).
    2. They are VERY concerned with housing. Housing I think will always be a top-level type of thing, and it's not easy to get lots for any new player.

Autumn Willow and Time Lord like this.
  13. mercster

mercster Avatar

Might be, and the title of their thesis will be "Why Are Otherwise Normal People So Precious And Emotionally Attached To Pretend Cartoon Characters?"

Autumn Willow, Stundorn and Time Lord like this.
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Well, it would be worth it ^^

15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Indeed! :D~TL~

Stundorn likes this.
  16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I love the atmosphere of the game! There's actally no game what interest me more about grafix and atmosphere.
    I really love the combatsystem! And i still creating decks for different situations/ scenes, and thats fun to me!!!
    I love the possibilities to Roleplay, although its a lot of money you maybe have to spend to "create" that environment for you, if you consider Housing, decorating etc...

These are my major points why i stick to SotA.

What i dislike in some way, is the less rewarding PvE and the "curve" to become a strong player, and maybe the imbalance that "force" you to level all magic trees to be resistant in PvP.

i'll play further and stick to my plans and hopes...

17. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Not sure I agree. I haven't seen anything in SoTA to suggest it is not a power gamers game. I think because of RMT, it is almost perfect as you power game then make money!

This is just anecdotal of course but I've spoken to people about the game a bit and one concern I have heard repeated was that when starting a new MMO, a really enjoyable part is everyone starting fresh and its all new whereas this iwill be really bloated by release. Players will want a house and do enjoy making wares and having a shop. How realistic will this be by release?

18. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

I respect your choice in play style. And love your presence in the community .
    But this really proves my point, there's no real game to play,.. everyone still active has a big imagination . The game is not hard, unless you handicap yourself. All the other "hard" aspects are just gold sinks that the people who majorly paid in, can just trade cash shop items to overcome.

I hate to admit this, I'm almost in the same boat as you. I'm an archer, hate the death tree. Didn't jump onto the lich ring death wagon....... But the dev's haven't fixed the ranged tree or answered any questions i've been asking for 3 months about combat math....

So, instead of playing the game now im playing the forums. Trying to get a tree fixed and only get met with fanatics that make excuses for sota.

So, i guess the real end game boss is the Sota Dev staff. Find a problem, try and get it fixed... GG impossible

Kaisa likes this.
  19. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

Do you know how many billions he has lost as well though? This isn't suggesting the case with SoTA, but I wouldn't look at just the positives on someones investments.

Kaisa likes this.
  20. Vox Aquila

Vox Aquila Avatar

I have done fairly well in life, and if you have also done well then maybe you can agree with this simple philosophy.

By emulating successful people you too can be successful. But also realize that successful people fail more than non-successful people. Why do they fail? Because they take risks. But you cannot be successful without taking risks.

So back to your point about him losing money. Guess what?????? He lost money he can afford. It's called measured risk. Lots of people do it, including me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.