Maybe it is time for the "like" feature to go?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tahru, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Who the [removed word by Berek] cares if random strangers on the internet agree with you, like what you have to say or (insert literally anything)?

If you're looking for validation, the internet is the SUPER wrong place to get it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017
    Echondas and Time Lord like this.
  2. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

@Rada Torment

''Label given to any person who craves attention to such an extent that they will do anything to receive it. The type of attention (negative or positive) does not matter.''

In my experience, enough negative attention will dispel even the thickest skinned attention seeker, if it's negative enough. It may only be a few days or weeks sometimes, but it's nice to have a break. I think we can all agree on that, at least :cool:

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yep, most of my posts are in the bug forums and that's clearly dragging my average down. got to stop posting there.

4. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

I dont get that thrill of the like. Maybe I'm too old. I am more fond of a legit reply because if I have nothing to reply to i just leave.

I've maybe liked a few things.
    I really hope there is a way to disable the notification for likes, they are a waste of my time. Especially when it's one guy liking everything I say for some reason.

I'm all for removing it because I don't understand the purpose.

5. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Everyone seems to have their own idea of what the like button is for or how it should be used.

One thing is for certain, though. Despite everyone's personal understanding of the like button, the truth is that people do become addicted to getting alerts, and the like function attributes to that.

Any addiction is unhealthy, and in the forum likes sense it can even lead fans of the game to become too involved to the point where they run out of steam and their involvement deteriorates. Only having alerts for quotes would help moderate peoples unhealthy addiction to forum activity and balance out their forum usage into a steadier, longer lasting experience.

It's worth a test run anyways. Anything changed can be changed back in this realm, which makes it hard to understand why people are so afraid of change here.

I liken it to gold in games. Taking Ultima Online for example, everyone thinks it would be great to have a billion gold. Well, if someone did have that much, it wouldn't be good for the shard, because the day they spent it, they would own every castle, every nice item etc. So then only one person is having all the fun, and everyone else has gold but nothing to purchase. Still, who wouldn't want that billion?? So it's up to the Game Masters to control the economy in the same sense that it's up to the moderators to find that healthy balance here on the forums.

The current system we have is that moderators end up getting into battles with users who are getting carried away in order to obtain alerts. Instead, fixing the system to maintain balance will eliminate many of these staff/player interactions which are notoriously bad for player relations even in the best circumstances.

The best method for maintaining good relationships with fans is to limit interactions with them. This has always been the grounds for my opinion on the like button being removed, if even temporarily or only during early access.

6. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

People like getting alerts that are absolutely pointless?

7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Its not pointless to everyone. I shows many things. It shows people like the post. It shows people that the post has been seen. It shows that people acknowledge the post. It is feedback. It is good in the sense that a group of people cannot join up in discord and say: go down vote that post with a negative down vote. It is only positive and hurts no one.

8. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Not according to 60 minutes. Also, google is your friend here. Plenty of people disagree with your statement.

9. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

There is no such thing as something that can not hurt someone. That is an illogical fallacy.
    As for discord... I can't even get a group on it how would they manage to band together to downvote a post?

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

don't worry about it then. If you do not understand its ok.

Echondas, Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

12. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

I did some digging and it seems I can disable it from telling me if something is liked. Now I'll be able to reply on my work breaks easier.

13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This was helpful to me as well, thank you.

14. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Like alerts should be disabled by default.

15. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Like feature is going to stay, though we're happy to consider adjustments to any notification issues you have with it! Like features are a positive endorsement that is nice for the poster, but doesn't affect the forums in any other way.

16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

My forums experience has changed significantly after just disabling like notifications. I strangely feel more independent as a result. It would be a great public service if all users were made aware of that option, which is why I put it in my signature.

jammaplaya, Echondas and Time Lord like this.
  17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i disabled signatures.

Spoon, jammaplaya, Echondas and 2 others like this.
  18. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

watch out for people that grief like. You know the people that simply like posts so that you get a like notification..... those people are some real bullies.

jammaplaya, Echondas and Alley Oop like this.
  19. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Thank you! I like to like.

20. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

I wonder how this discussion would differ if we also had a "dislike" button. I moderate a forum that used to have a "dislike" button, changed to thumbs down, and nothing good ever came of it. It was bitter and vindictive to the point where people who didn't like you in general (pun intended, why not!) would downvote you no matter what you actually posted in order to either push your comment down when the website would auto sort by comment popularity or make you feel bad for no good reason.

When you've been through that, and seen the absence of a "like" button encouraging pages of "+1" posts as another poster mentioned, having nothing but a "like" feature takes on a useful, positive meaning. It shows that people have noticed and want to promote your comment without having to post the awful "+1", which can potentially help devs understand what more people are thinking quickly rather than having to read through and tally up separate approving posts.

If the presence of a "like" button keeps you from posting or makes you post differently, or if you become addicted to it, then it's your responsibility to identify this and seek support, or check yourself and make adjustments. It's a positive symbol and a useful tool if you let it be; if you don't, well I guess that's your choice in some way, then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.