Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Psilocybin's are viscious... two and you are locked down

Discussion in 'Release 42 Feedback Forum' started by SabeSr, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Can't cast can't move due to disorientation...

I can kill most things in spindrift passage except the water elementals (impossible unless you're OP for the place) and can kill one psilocybin but not when I get two on me I'm done quick...

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

its a thing really ? thats the name of the active substance in magic mushrooms... and I've been told repeatedly to keep this PG-13...

you can't just kill one psylocybin more than you can smoke one mary juanna 0.o

3. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Yep it's a real thing and they are really cool looking. Except when you kill them and don't run away fast enough then it's one bad trip down the rabbit hole, Alice! ;)

Having said that, has anyone been able to melee kill a Water Elemental? I'm level 67 and it is damn near impossible to kill one. They regen over 100 health with heals and it's killer, I run out of focus before I can get close enough to taking one down!

4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Anyone has screenshots ? :)

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

This is a problem with many of the casters, given AI and spell arsenal changes to NPCs (mobs specifically) over the last few releases.

Water elementals are extremely difficult to kill and often result in a stalemate, multiple water elementals are maddening. I havent tried those mushrooms yet ( :p ), but it sounds similar. Hardened Skeletal Mages are also very hard to pin down for the same reason - uber heals they cast very quick, and combine with teleport. A single elven mage seems to be easier - I do notice a very different average rate of healing between monster mage types - but 2+ elven mages are impossible. They just chain heal each other for about 100 health each time.

The biggest problem I see is none of these mobs seems to ever run out of focus. Ive tested this out in "safer" places like Kiln Cistern, and let the fight go way beyond myself running out of focus. It feels as though they have infinite fuel and can just cast heal forever. If I am far higher in adventurer level, and a focused based class, then I think they should be running out of focus before me. I would settle for around the same time.

Cordelayne likes this.
  7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

You got that right, my friend! :) It's quite infuriating and forget multiple ones then it's just impossible.

TBH I just don't know what the heck they are doing with this game sometimes. They keep making things harder and harder and harder until it's just NOT FUN anymore! Limitless focus for monsters, terrible loot (more like NO loot), reagents for lower level spells in R43 and let's not forget decay...ugh, lol! :p

*EDIT* I just read that @Chris "rolled back" the need for reagents on some of these lower level spells. THANK GOD! :D

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  8. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Well, theyre making adjustments, and evolving the game. Feedback on these sort of things is necessary, and I highly doubt they are purposely trying to make it "not fun." Previous to recent changes in ranged mob AI, they (archers, mages) were just fluff to be brushed aside until you get to the melee mobs. Additional AI was added at one point to make them run around, mostly into the aggro range of other mobs. This too wasnt much of a difficulty, so they added additional spells to the casters (who all appear to be Uber Grand Master healers with maxed out Healing attunement), etc. Now were at the point where the changes aren't simply difficult, they break the game experience. Our feedback is necessary to figure out how to tune the mob AI down so that it still presents a tactical challenge, but behaves according to similar rules to which the player is bound (i.e., limited attunement, limited casting power, limited focus pool).

I propose some points, or combination of points, to assist with this "issue". Note I am only referring to mob/NPC Mages and Archers, and not Avatar/player skills.

1) Limit the distribution of mages, archers, and melee. If it is intended for casters to be this powerful, then there should be far fewer of them. Right now it feels like mages are a dime a dozen and also always more powerful than you except in terms of hitpoints. Something like 1 mage to 5 archers to 15 melee sounds reasonable. Otherwise, I keep asking myself, why do these dumbass bandits use clubs, when they could just be a wizard and have free infinite health? Seems so easy to be a mob mage!

2). Limit the defensive capabilities of the casters further. They should be way easier to interrupt, I smash them for about 300 hitpoints in under 1 second with a barrage of Stone Fist critical hits, while they smile at me, and heal themselves for 150hps 2x in a row, and were back where we started except I have less focus and glyphs handy (yes, I use Mind Wipe excessively now for this reason). If Mages, and to an extent Archers, are supposed to be this powerful, then they should be like a "real life" archer - crushed immediately when faced with skilled melee. I feel as though I am fighting the Black Knight from Monty Python with these guys. They can have all this uber healing and crowd control power at the cost of dying in 1-2 melee glyphs for a Mage, and 3-4 for an Archer, when the Avatar is higher adv level.

3) Limit the focus pool of all ranged AI. Tactical withdraw is very difficult considering multiple Archers and a seemingly infinite capacity to snare you. Multiple mages can get in a cycle of healing each other and running away forever, running in focus stalemate. If theyre going to do wackass things like heal themselves for 170 health uninterrupted (and theyre a medium level mob!), then they should only get away with that once or twice, and be out of focus, and be limited to low level/low focus spells.

4) Limit the number of times they can cast certain spells, like CC or health. This option sounds like a hack to remedy a hack, and I think the AI should just be addressed at a deeper level. However, this is an easy way to curtail the stalemate. Id rather the system work more dynamically, but sometimes you just cant avoid the blatant "video gameyness" of a video game.

Bottom line - the current caster AI encourages me to be extremely selective about where I spend my time in the game, and the list is narrowed down to places where I wont face more than one mage at a time. I am avoiding a boring focus stalemate, where I spend my time running around in circles until I run OOF and then run to zone ent and hang out with loading screens more than playing the game. Their seemingly unlimited capacity for CC and healing is not really a tactical challenge, but just a silly video game hack to address the previous issue of these same mobs being too easy. I admire a tactical/strategic challenge, but the ranged AI is more of an annoyance and makes the game "not fun."

Cordelayne likes this.
  9. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

I gotta jump in here too. I was in the cistern in Kiln earlier trying to kill a raging water elemental and a regular water ele. The raging with more Hp was closer to dying than the regular one, but still those heals. I tried to fight the ssystem and made an all fire deck with a few death spells and have the fire ele fight the regular ele while I take on the raging. And......nothing, they lived while I had to run.....went out of focus and took a few too many hits. But yea, besides the water ele, the elf/skeleton mages and archers must have found out the Duke nukem cheat codes. 1 to 2 is doable with skeles, but 1 elf mage was just as bad as the water elemental. Hopefully they get this sorted out soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.