Can't switch modes for another boss anymore?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by belijaal, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gix

Gix Avatar

They should only allow mode switching when the player is in the overworld or in towns.

2. eli

eli Avatar

I can't wait until there is something more compelling to do in end-game than solo farm. Then all this doesn't matter.

Elwyn, Stundorn and majoria70 like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree with this so much. While I have enjoyed my group boss kills with friends but it doesn't matter that much what we do, I just enjoy doing things with my friends. I would love epic bosses and intuitive bosses.

I think more the problem in the game is 'why is farming bosses' a thing to do? The answer is it is something to do with chance of more loot, artifacts etc. Reasons to play are limited to grinding for artifacts, loot, and resources.

Once quest lines are completed players must search for more to do. With no in game achievement system some of the reason to play and achieve is missing. No task list or daileys for those who want quests or tasks also instead of all combat related.

I have requested reason to play and will continue providing feedback to fill in the blanks on what is still missing imo and other players opinions before release.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    twofoldsilence and Peabo like this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Not to all players....

Explore, create (Stories, Adventures...)
    It's a Roleplaying Game - enlive the world!

So glad i am through the Story (was very fun and challenging at the end) but now i feel more ready and "wise" enough to concentrate more on rp'ing.

Of course i want more content too.
    Treasure Hunts would be the best thing to do.

I never can imagine what is fun to kill a Boss more than one time a week.

I never understand why people do Raids and allways exactly the same thing over and over.
    Ah yes i understand, thats the i want this thing and that and maybe more.

Really, people comon' dont reduce games to collecting things and get Pixel rich.
    its part of it , but not the end of the "story" or the most exciting thing to do.

Create within what Devs created for us.
    Create a Quest. Collect 5 Rubys, but each one from a different place, wander around, dont wait for respawn, explore.
    Talk in Character, develop your characters character, change your mind, trick others, please others, become what you want, but be not yourself behind the desk sitting on a Computer.
    RPG!!!

I dont know why people are that far away from roleplaying, but want to play roleplaygames and then just care about RPG Elements like skills, level and how much pixels they collected.
    Sure i too want to be strong, grow, collect things, but all this is seconded.
    First of all is to immerse and give something back to the creators of a fantasy world, trying to enlive that world what they created for us.
    I would be so sad if i created a Pen and Paper Adventure, created a whole World or Continent, wrote a book with lore and all that and people are only consuming, crying for more and only care about their forthcome (dont know if that word exist :p), but dont give something back, dont create characters to enlive the world (and challenge me with what they imagine) but are only milking it.

Just take it into consideration.

It's not about you @majoria70, i know you have fun just hanging out with your friends.
    It was just to say that there is more.

I allways like what you are asking for and your enthusiastic and positive attitude.

Just want to say, there is and can be much more and not all need to be delivered by the Devs.

Enliving the world with RP and such is more worth than buying a bundle i guess.
    A Bundle is an amount of money Portalarium sure needs.

Roleplaying this game is a Tribute to their creations.

It's like playing in a Band (i do).
    If people are coming to Listen and talk while drinking a beer thats nice. I allways appreciate that, cause we do slow Musik, arent professionals or are that good that people throw their underwear :p
    But if they dance to your Musik it's a Tribute.:cool:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Hornpipe and eli like this.
  5. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

that gotta be THE solution ;)

Hornpipe and Stundorn like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes no worries and you know me I ask for everything not just one thing. I want every aspect of the game to be the best it can be. I will rally for this.

I do like to hang out with my special friend especially but sometimes I like to just putter ;). sorry I can't quote meaning easily since I'm on my phone away from home. ;)

Stundorn likes this.
  7. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Bosses should have somewhat quick respawn timers, but their strength should scale in proportion to the number of deaths within the past hour or whatever. That way the people who camp out and farm them over and over again will (hopefully) eventually reach a point where they have to take a break.

eli likes this.
  8. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Imo if bosses respawn too quick (like in SotA) then they just feel like normal mobs, nothing special about them, no epic feel, it's just another mob.
    Add to this the fact that you can just solo them :/

Also standing in one area for 24/7 to farm the same boss over and over again is just called "grind" and doesn't really add "fun" to the gameplay imo.

Plus, quite a lot of drops (artifacts) are global drops, so no real need to switch bosses.

Hornpipe likes this.
  9. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Right, I'm not trying to say that it is the designed way to play, I'm just stating a way to add a disincentive to grinding out a mob boss. Hopefully it would make the bosses feel different if there was a limit to the amount of times you could drop him in a short period of time, group or no.

10. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Thanks for the suggestions, but I really don't want to sit around smoking a pipe and telling a story as you put it. I don't believe you can label shroud as just a role playing game considering the time I've invested in the game, I have only once been to an actual scene with role players.

majoria70 likes this.
  11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Don't ever play FFXI, then. Some of the bosses have respawn timers of a day or two. Some can be a week or have complicated conditions. There are even a few where you have to do something like not kill a lower-level boss for a week.

That timer has been around for quite a while now, and you don't even have to mode switch. It's 2 minutes (or more) after the instance is created. I think they finally did something about its effect on bandit encounters, but I think they just made the chest slowly accumulate loot, so you still can't snatch and grab.

Really, the only good reason is "everybody needs the kill", such as the win for phoenix or fire elemental. When you need a group to defeat something, it's good if more than one person who needs the win can get it without waiting half an hour per spawn. But that's only for quest-related bosses, yeah, other bosses shouldn't be farmed so quickly.

12. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

I play mmos since over 2 decades :D
    I did play FFXI and a lot of other mmos where bosses had very long respawn times.
    It was a lot more fun, we had to switch dungeons/areas and bosses, we had to travel/port/move arround for more bosses.
    Well, to me this is a lot more fun.
    Also for SotA a 1 or 2 hour timer for bosses could be already enough (but with increased %droprate, otherwise nobody will really bother). That way people would travel arround to find other bosses.

As for quest related bosses, just let everyone in the scene or party loot the quest item.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This was an exploit that was very likely fixed.

14. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

I bet in FFXI loot actually dropped of those slow spawning bosses

15. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Then don't do it. Let others play the way they want.

16. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Bosses drop loot that is needed for crafting. The chance for the items to drop is very low. Since items like to blow up during crafting, you need a lot to make a good item. This is why I farm a boss over and over and switch modes when I can. 20 dragon kills without a neck bone and even more without a head.

MrBlight and Peabo like this.
  17. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Then the problem is not necessarily the respawn timer but it could be the loot. Just saying.

18. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Yup, that's why i said if you increase respawn timer, then they also should increase the %droprate.
    It can get even worse, killing 50 Dragons and not getting a neck bone or dragon head currently :D

19. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well I actually liked the feature I think Warhammer Online had with their public quests. If I remember rightly from time to time regional and multistage quests appeared. E.g. first you had to treat some wounded NPCs, next stage some mobs appeared and you had to defend the wounded and finally a boss debouched you had to fight. Your amount of workload influenced your reward and the more people participated the more difficult was the quest but also the larger was the reward. (no groups needed everyone could simply start or stop to participate)

Maybe something alike could be used for the bosses in SotA.
    Fighting them alone will be easy but you will get just a small reward.
    Fighting them with many avatars and the boss will get in e.g. some rage mode and is getting stronger and stronger and alike the reward will rise and rise. Just as an example:

1-2 active participating avatars = 100% boss health, 100% boss damage, 100% experience, 100% gold, 0.001% drop rate of rare item
    3-5 active participating avatars = 300% boss health, 150% boss damage, 200% experience, 150% gold, 0.0025% drop rate of rare item (entering this mode will e.g. heal 50% health of the boss or even reset the health)
    6-10 active participating avatars = 600% boss health, 200% boss damage, 400% experience, 200% gold, 0.005% drop rate of rare item (entering this mode will e.g. heal 50% health of the boss or even reset the health)

Possibly entering a stronger mode also means that additional enemies appears (e.g. a dragon is calling his breed, a lich is raising skeletons,..) or new attacks are used.

Oh and maybe there could be added also a random respawn timer. E.g. after killing the boss it will take 5-60 minutes till he appears again. You will just know that he will be back again but not exactly when. :D

LoneStranger and Stundorn like this.
  20. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Our guild group would of done 150-200 dragon kills before we saw a head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.