Game is WAY Too Easy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ya, you just want to nerf the players, no you though, just the other players, get real. Why dont you go play that other game you advertised for, the one with no grind if effort is BS. My problem is YOU, and you constant whining and comparing and unhappiness and want things made just for you, the selfishness is astounding.

Paulie Walnuts and Solazur like this.
  2. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Please don't get things too personal. Even if it is obvious that you are personaly involved with @Stundorn point of view, I still think that he try to take things with a global approach. And one can't say that he is totally wrong. Currently, the more you grind, the better your chance to win a duel /grind even more will be, even if I strongly agree when you say that leveling don't do anything.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Stundorn like this.
  3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Picking a select few skills to GM, Taming and Subterfuge for example, then building a play style is possible with SotA.

Doesn’t mean it will work out though. Hiding while using pets to kill sounds fun... could be, never know. But taming doesn’t perform at a level capable of being a primary combat skill.

Asking the devs to improve that performance is one thing. Asking the devs to bring everything down to the level required to make taming perform isn’t the path to success. (Feel free to try but expect constant disagreement)

That’s telling the devs how to balance. There are many other options instead of lowering the bar to meet one choice of self imposed limits that no one else is making.

And I will say it as much as it’s needed. Not all builds should be equal. Deck building is a whole lot more interesting when there is diversity.

Gerugon likes this.
  4. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

And what do you say about the possibility of being able to be healed with healing grace, sun illumination and ... soothing rain at the same time ?

Seriously, specialization is not even a thing in this game. Even me, I use 1 magic heal and 1 air spell as a pure archer if I want to be able to survive and grind efficiently.

That's not even a question of builds being strongers than others... Clearly, for the same level, the best build will take advantage of using as many defense skills and buffs as possible. That's just about logic.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Stundorn like this.
  5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

This and

It destroys my fun if i need to do what is neccessary to be competetive i'm no danceparty roleplayer i'm a rpvper and i dont have time and will to "work" in a game.
    I want to Roleplay in a Sandbox RPG.

If i group with highlevel i have no fun, it's pulling me, i feel worthless.
    If i want to pvp, well...
    I want germanspeaking likeminded roleplayers around, but germans are allways special and difficult.
    I'm banned in Drachenfels. There are some hippocrites what dont like me and also call me a troll or whatnot.

Let it be.... I'm really done.
    I'll wait for release and i doubt things will change. Lets hope i can get some money back when i decide to sell stuff.

6. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

the difference Between Us High levels and lower levels is one very important thing, you can harp on about skills,builds till you are blue in the face but the most important aspect is TIME. Us high levels are ( for whatever reason) Able to play the game a lot more than your average casual player . every player should be able to play the way they want without being Told otherwise i agree, but at the end of the day if all these supposed Balances etc are brought in to Bring everyone In line in terms of power, ability etc, then thats just a big Kick in the face of the players at 95 ADVLVL upwards who have worked hard for their Character progression just to have it nerfed or better yet, have the amount of time they have put into their character trivialised by lower levels getting there much quicker because they kept on complaining about balance etc. As i said before the game is Not released yet, And still only Episode 1. Lets just stop all the arguing, complaining and allow the devs to do their job. if we all spent less time complaining and more time in game adventuring everyone would be more equal in level and happily Singing round a camp fire :)

Rada Torment and Mac2 like this.
  7. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Except that if they nerf some buffs, defensive and damage over time skills which are stackable with each other while they should not, you won't lose your time because you can unlearn some skills to get better in others. It's just that soft caps will have a sense again and prevent you to have this wide gap which is a problem with every single player who feel like he or she will never have any luck with pvp or *insert any valid reason here*

PS : and the game will be easier to balance for the devs as a side effect.

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Exactly this is the problem they ( Porta) created.

See in Destiny2 for example all people can play together.
    There is no huge level or strength disparity.
    We have no levelrestrictuons like other games where people of different levels cannot play together, but to me playing with very low and also with much higher people is not fun.
    Either it is boring and not challenging, destroying the challenge for the lower or you feel just pulled through content and worthless while you are totally not able to make any contribution to the group.
    So to have fun imo you need to play with people around you level. +/-5 or so.

These borders are what i want them and all to overcome to play together (what includes to be able to play also against each other) many games are going in this direction, trying to bring people together no matter if they play 10hrs a week or a day.

But you call me just a Troll, jealous, envy and a bad Person.

So it be.

And i let you and go.
    A passionate roleplayer less for a Roleplaygame.

9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I guess that could be fun? Healing your way through all the damage. Probably burn out all your resources before you kill anything. - Unless you are bringing in a 2nd player for the heals.

We could spend all day picking skills that are the worst possible or the best possible. The disparity between them probably should be smaller. But not every skill will be equal.

Passives from trees untrained and not in a deck is a different topic.

10. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I think you don't get it. I'm ok with each skill taken separatively or the power of each skill... taken separatively. I don't have problem with healing over time. But using the three mentioned skills at the same time is completely illogical (sun / rain / do you need a schematic ?) for two of them and it breaks balance with specialization.

Sure, someone who don't want to use water spells won't use soothing rain and, therefore, won't have to train for the water attunement. But people with a lot of time will train every single magic school as it is easier to get every skill to GM (and very good attunements) than one skill to 150th level (with a very poor attunement). Then those guys will have versatility and power. They won't be affected with the learning curves and soft caps whereas a pure archer or melee swordman will more likely be affected by those. THAT is totally broken.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  11. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

See that's the sort of thing I think ought to be almost impossible.

Then you should get rainbows?

[​IMG]

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Passives and attunement from every tree is going to have to be a different discussion. The design currently is heavily weighted to better off getting them all.

I am not talking about 1 to 1 skill balance. That will never happen. I am talking deck to deck. If a deck has the 3 heals you mention. Are they locked or unlocked? If they are unlocked how many of each card are in the deck?

We have to look at what's left of the deck. If all I have is healing spells I am not going to be viable. Not solo at least. Having every skill at GM doesn't give more space in a deck. (remember, I'm not worried about the passives because those don't fit into a deck)

On a side note: Specializing in this way is kinda pushing people into grouping isn't it? If I stack healing and you stack archer and someone else stacks swordsman now we've become pretty strong.

13. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I don't think this is a different discussion. We need to have a global view on this problem. As you said, you currently have to better off to get all skills.

That's a very good question. But keep in mind that you have very few attacks which can stack with each other over time (and those are generaly dots and aoe magic spells). On the opposite side, there are a lot of buffs, heal over time and defensive skills which can be used at the same time. Just look at the videos and screenshots on the internet. High end player generaly manage to use those in their decks. You'll get your answer.

The deck limitation seems to be a fallacious excuse. I saw someone using only two attacks in the deck, while using a lot more defensive skills, buffs, some dot and heals over time. The two attacks were not less effective but the avatar was far more difficult to kill. I can't say that this deck was more efficient than one with 3 or 4 attacks. But I can say that a deck with few defensive and lasting buff is absolutely not competitive. And a good proof is that every video of soloed boss I saw is about to get the correct ... defensive combination.

Some people are almost soloing everything actualy and your concern is over grouping ? Really ? Specialization is the hard way in this game. The easy one is to get every attunement to a decent level. Just look at the needed experience points. 137 000 000 for all adventurer skill up to GM. More for ONE skill up to 150. As long as people don't have to take the hard way to perform, why do you want them to do that ?

14. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Where is the rule that says you have to clear everything in 10 minutes?
    Also why do you think i would hunt them for XP? There are better places for that.
    I didn't really count in minutes, like i said i am no hardcore player anymore and don't really care how fast or slow i am in my task.

Two ancient dragons, obviously not, but that doesn't really count, that was just an cheesy implemention to the game to make something not soloable for once.
    It isn't really harder, there are just 2 Ancient Dragons in one place and each of them still have boring and easy AI.

So i still say the game is "WAY" too easy for me wether people like it or not.

15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

We should have a global view, I agree. We have to be able to break things down into their parts still. Passives and attunement as is doesn’t allow for diversity. This is known and while I am all for good conversation on the subject we will probably find that we are in agreement.
    So you are saying that in addition to passives and attunement, buffs, healing, and defensives pull from outside a deck? I hadn’t pondered that area yet but I can see where you are going with it if I am following correctly.

Buff duration would be a key factor here. A buff that last long enough that deck switching can happen repeatedly would allow skills from outside a deck. Clear all buffs when changing a deck might help?

HoTs and defensives used within a deck shouldn’t be an issue (see next comment for my position on that subject)

Deck limitations might be a fallacy currently but it shouldn’t be. (IMO)

2 attacks + utility + defensives + healing vs raw throughput DPS is the name of the game here. Deck building. Some tuning might be in order but micromanaging each possible deck would be insane. Chris’ head would explode from the mathing.

Long lasting buffs from a swapped deck probably should be looked into. (As stated before)
    Oh, no, not my concern. It was a random thought. There is a thread rolling around here somewhere about how SotA doesn’t have enough group content.

This thread is about content is too easy.

That is all. Not a complaint but I might pop over to that thread and point out some things there. That or wait for the next time it comes up.

16. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Wow. This got a bit ugly... Here's the thing.:

I have absolutely no problem with people grinding the "Mage Room" for hours and not moving if that is what they want to do. I don't PVP, and I don't plan on it, really. The way I look at it, a vast majority of people are into PVE, and how others get powerful is not going to bother me. Min/Max will ALWAYS be a thing. If not this mage room, then somewhere, somehow; it will happen. Lets not fret too much about that. Lets get concerned when the game is tailored to those 5% almost exclusively. Currently, I think it is tailored to them a fair amount, but not so much that I can't enjoy the game. Just look at all of the simply stunning environments they have been putting a lot of hours into recently, like the outskirts zones. Beautiful! The new player experience has grown by leaps and bounds in the last few months.

The game is coming along quite nicely in my opinion. I see a LOT of promise here. Especially when we think about how once the main "core" of things is fleshed out enough that most are pretty happy with it, we'll likely have some really fun new things coming like meaningful fishing and treasure hunts, mounts, ships moving around fighting sea creatures - that will open up a whole new world to the players (both new and veteran).

If the game is tailored more to the average Joe, I think we have a real shot at a game with thousands roaming around. The hard core will get their tougher boss fights here and there, and hopefully most people will be relatively happy. I am going to try to be an optimist here. We need more optimism in these forums, and less doom and gloom. Less complaining about how other people play. Let's love each other and have fun. Please?

17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I cast all 3 locked 5 stacked and there is no rainbow :(

And just saying buff deck, all buffs, fast switch, fight with only Dodge and fortify in the combat deck. All the other buffs and HoT 's endure long enough.

I dont like it.

Wintermute of CoF and Hornpipe like this.
  18. Gix

Gix Avatar

What's not fine is having those consequences impede on game-play.

What's not fine is being "jack of all trades" and not suffer any trade offs.

What's even worse is when the meta expects players to not specialize. Hell, when you tell me that I'm purposely "limiting myself", that's a problem right there... not because you have that particular mindset, but that the game encourages that way of thinking.

Player choice should have consequences (including bad ones) but it should NEVER lead the player into thinking that they built their characters wrong. If the player can invest all his time in swords, then the game better reward that player's time by making him a badass with swords... because he practically can't do anything else.

I'm spending as much time as humanly possible (aka: not skill-spamming) into [Silent Movement] and I N-E-V-E-R get the feeling that my stealth is any good.

A good Dungeon Master always allows his players to shine and/or allow them a way to overcome obstacles.

If the game cannot support basic fundamental character archetypes such as "warrior", "mage" and "rogue"... that's a bad sign.

At the end of the day, why aren't YOU penalized for your choices? Where are YOUR consequences?

Actually, he used his brain to out-smart them. Until the game allows players to overcome challenges outside of combat, I expect to overcome my challenges with combat.

Nikko, Hornpipe and Disgruntled like this.
  19. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Sorry about last night, I was REALLY tired and not thinking clearly, but I'm feeling much better now after sleeping.

There is a trade off though, suffering more decay on death, and not being able to use everything all at once because of deck size means at what ever fight I am in, I am weaker then someone who specialized for that fight. For example, on many boss fights, most of my magic skills are useless. Sara who is specialized in blades and is lower level then me can kill those bosses a lot faster then I can. I MIGHT be the strongest death mage in the game but not totally sure on that, but pretty much everything else, there are others stronger then me in. There is a trade off of power for versatility.

I get what your saying here, and partially agree. I never wanted to pick up a weapon, I wanted to be a pure mage, then they changed the resistance on mobs, and it became REALLY hard to kill things like ghost, liches and most bosses. We are talking about getting hits of 13 with a full gmed earth tree from an earthquake on a lich or ghost. I was not happy about that change and left a few messages about it. After seeing things were not going to be changed back, I accepted it, adapted and learned bows. Physical weapons are the best for specializing as there is nothing in the game you are severely hindered with damage on. You can kill all bosses and all creatures with physical. I know of a few people that are very specialized in a weapon, far more then I am because I am more versatile and generalized.

I f you hit an enemy from stealth with sneak attack, it adds to your sneak attack damage by a lot, the higher the stealth, the higher the damage. This will only apply if you use a melee weapon though. Stealth is a situational skill.

I gave the penalties and consequences for generalization above.

Rada Torment and Solazur like this.
  20. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I don't really understand. If they don't impede on gameplay in what way are they consequential?

Depends what you mean by "jack of all trades"? It's possible to get all the skills in any tree up to level 40 in an afternoon if you already have a set of skills you can use to farm the XP. That's the last point at which there are no consequences however as after level 40 you start to accrue decay.

I am mostly light armour, swords and fire. The consequence is that I can't solo dragons and can struggle with more than one ranged opponent (of a similar level to me) at a time. I'm fine with that, there is no need to change the game so that I can kill dragons with fire.

I have built a ranged deck and levelled up some skills, but I generally only use that when grouping. I've also levelled up some stealth skills to at some point have a play with sap etc. but I've not built a deck for that yet and I wouldn't expect it to be as effective right now as the swords and fire I've put a load of time into.

Mac2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.