Time to Adventure out into the world of game coverage. Have Courage!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

It's pretty obvious which are trolls and which are people who are merely critical of the game. The reviews themselves once they come out should normalize the discussion of SOTA - or at least lessen the degree of venom one sometimes finds at some sites. At least @hroth , @Preachyr and other reddit mods are doing a good job at keeping https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar productive and balanced.

2. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

The trolls are a bit more subtle on Reddit these days at least. Productive perhaps not.

//edit//
    Actually, I take that back.

A few people on there are seriously bent out of shape.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  3. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Those two guys in particular... Man. I have never seen such a devoted hate campaign in my life. It's astounding the level of constant vitriol coming out of them! They're behaving like men possessed. Echo chambers are bad, of course, and things should always be discussed for the health of the game but these guys are actively out to destroy it completely, like it's their full-time job.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It is one thing if the community calls others in the community trolls but if a dev does this, this goes a step too far for my tastes. This indeed does make me really angry and doesn't show any kind of respect for the customers. And it is NOT the first time! You need to stay professional if you want to be respected as a professional dev.

5. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

@Lord_Darkmoon who are you referring to? I don't think anyone should be prevented from calling out trolls. They are the ones showing disrespect for the community. In many places on the internet it is a breach of conduct. Trolls destroy communities and such conduct is very poor behavior, and is never beneficial.

Sure a dev naming them specifically but I see no such comments.

Time Lord and Montaigne like this.
  6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I won't call people out. I think it isn't even allowed. Calling someone a troll is an insult. Being insulted by other players is one thing. But being insulted by a dev, who wants to be a professional is another thing in my opinion. People who pay for a game need to be treated with respect even if they criticise the game. There are other methods for a dev to state his opinion but insulting customers is poor behaviour. Just my opinion. An no, I wasn't the one being called a troll. I just read it in the comments of one of the links provided by the OP.

hroth, Time Lord, Mykll and 3 others like this.
  7. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I think trolls have thicker skin than that.

8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Devs should, too. For me such behaviour doesn't cast a favorable light on the team...

Tetsu Nevara, Pikegirl, hroth and 6 others like this.
  9. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I understand if it's not warranted it may reflect poorly, but I back any rebuttal of anti-social behavior or clear trolling.

Time Lord and Thwip like this.
  10. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

TRUE!

I was called a "SHILL" for Shroud of the Avatar. So, someone who likes and enjoys the game is a "shill". OKAYYYYYY!

[​IMG]

11. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

Here's my SOTA pitch:

I am not sure if you are aware how GREAT Sota is. Even if you are a new player, you will quickly reach the Whale level of goals.

The goals are experience.... gold... and a new unseen battleground with a combat system that is so much more interesting than many games.. and a chance to decorate a house and put a vendor on it to make you in game money.

The true new player experience is doing something new, and SOTA has new stuff in spades; terrain planning, foliage issues, hp vs. mp, combat decisions (like running when u are screwed) (and hoping aggro lets u run away b4 death), housing placement to maximize returns... Lotsa new functions in a GLUT of copycat games...

I've been at this since TI 994A 1985. I can recognize a good game when i see it. SOTA is that good game. I didn't even have a floppy drive, so all my machine language lines were ephemeral when inputted.... (whimper)

It's a good game because it runs on a crap 5 year old system like I have, which according to steam, is the majority system specs. So the devs are building a cutting edge game that runs on most systems. Earlier, I would complain that SOTA looks like a 2003 game. Now, I see the logic behind that, tailoring the game for the majority of system specs.

So, you are playing a game that runs on older systems, geared and programmed cutting edge so u can enjoy the game with your 4 meg video card n 3mhz system...

Early backers got MASSIVE advantages... Yes. YES. Deservedly so. New players? Not so much. YET:

YET:

new players can quickly use the forums to get up to speed and 'game' skills to reach the level of the greatest here. less than 2 weeks and u can rival Grumpy Weenie's skills. o.0 Think about that for a minute... all on one server sorta.

So... yeah. New players get the short end of the release. and in two weeks of dedication and smart playing, a new player can rival the greatest here.

so.... the game lasts two weeks for 50 some-odd bucks. AND you have 90% of the game left to play.

THAT IS the definition of return on investment. It started from a chicken in a basement. It still hasn't ended. We might get working pvp.

*many edits for possible intoxicationable content, my apologies*

THE HENDOMAN

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Koss, Time Lord and LiquidBlaze like this.
  12. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

If one side takes money and later breaks promises, it is very natural to receive a lot of criticism.

You can not let one off the hook, and label the other trolls. This is not being sincere.

cobran and Mykll like this.
  13. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

These kind of people are personally offended when other people enjoy a video game.

"I don't enjoy this, therefore nobody should" - What the trolls say (probably)

14. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

From what I see is a general lack of understanding from both sides. I do not consider anyone trolls. I think they are people that have issues that have been ignored, been browbeaten, and been marginalized. This is on both sides, the defenders and the dissenters. I do think there is some very angry people out there with deep rooted issues due to the way that things have been handled do to moderation and perceived favoritism. It does not help when the defenders of the game dog pile on to a critic on these forums. It is virtually the same on reddit but the other polar extreme. There they can voice their opinion in ways that are not always family friendly. They speak out of anger and attack the defenders of the game. I do believe if people would view the discussion for the topic, not for the emotion, as emotions are really high on both sides. Most people here on the forums and on reddit are not evil, they truly want the best for the game. Its sad however that when one does not think his voice is heard he yells louder. Again this goes for both sides, the defenders and the dissenters. With the way moderation works however the dissenters are forced to go to other places to yell. So in all reality we are all just passionate gamers, but we need to get over ourselves, actually listen to what other people are saying and try to understand their point of view. To be understood would go a long way to dismantling the heated feelings of people. Instead of calling people "trolls" or "haters" or "white nights" or "whales" understand that we all came to this game with hopes and dreams. Not hatred or resentment. If you want to improve the outside view of the game you have to start with being the change you wish to see.

Ajivani, Pikegirl, hroth and 5 others like this.
  15. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I am all for free speech and constructive criticism. I have never held back on here myself from stating what i think the game needs imo but i try and do it in an unbiased way and see both sides of every argument, and not to push my side overly strongly. On that site there are 5-10 regular posters and some alts to make up the numbers as i see it but only really 2-3 of them have taken this beyond reason and will make a mountain out of any molehill even if the molehill is in fact a nice seedling just sprouting.

I would normally just leave these kind of people to their own devices, i don't want to associate with let alone read and counter argue their overly active imagination and need i feel for drama and attention. But i will and i hope others will at least post on external review sites when they start posting their obvious trolling. Constructive criticism is needed for a great game and people who can at least see some good on occasion and state in constructive ways what they don't like are welcome to post to their hearts content as far as I'm concerned, i welcome them personally.

The best counter i feel to any of the obvious 3 and their alts who are out to cause as much drama as they can is to direct any new or prospective players to that site so they can make an informed decision of who to believe or not. The one who shouts loudest is usually the one with more motive for others to believe them, they certainly aren't doing it to save others from a bad experience but doing it for a plan and purpose of their own doing. A sane and rational person would/can see this i believe they just need the information and evidence to make an informed choice.

hroth, Astirian, Numa and 1 other person like this.
  16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Thanks to those who have joined me, it looks like mostly in the first link. As expected I took a barrel full of lies and slander in the face in the first of the links.

If you haven't showed up yet, please do. Right now we have a lot more representation in this thread than we do out in the real world.

I know it's scary, you may have to deal with the personal attacks as well, but have Courage and join the fray!

Duke Gréagóir, Astirian and Koss like this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops: Successful games are measured by publications such as "Wired" among a few others o_O...
    [​IMG] :confused:~Troll Bridges are only personality blockades :D
    :eek: All other publications and forum commentaries are only "conflicting Fan's ego airtime" ;)
    But Internally Useful :cool:

jammaplaya and Cordelayne like this.
  18. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

This whole thread is cute.

I got my moneys worth out of SoTa, but drifted away as key promises wernt met.

But as for your commemt.. i think the majority of burned people are more * I got burned for an X amount of money, and dont feel i received what was pitched. Others should know why i feel this way before they purchase. *

Kind of a big difference.

It also.. for most people..
    Takes no time at all to read the forums, reddit, or w.e and post their thoughts.
    I still activly watch both, as i did my due time into the game, had enough burns against, but still want to see where it ends up.

Takes a lot less effort then some people think to follow the development. ( As easy as it is to say * why are you still here then?? * ) and i dont even have a financial loss included due to what some feel misled on.

So no. I feel its not that people are * offended you enjoy it *. Its more.. they are burned and feel the need to let people know why.
    I mean, i convinced a good chunk of RL buddies to try SoTa.. and i feel bad brcause 6 of them didnt even make it to Soltown.
    I cant imagine how bitter some peoplr are who looked at RG as a role model, or being a huge fan, on top of any serious investment.

Summary... people are upset for a variety of reasons. If you need to tell yourself its all about them trying to prevent You from enjoying it.. then all thr powrr to ya.

Lastly. Theres probably 1 ... overly vocal critic who i would say is over the top. And i could argue its just like the other completly opposite person on here.
    Extremists shouldnt be used to represent the majority.

19. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

"Summary" Noone has an issue with people unhappy with the slow pace of development (compare it to DayZ tho lol). I think this game in another 6 months will make a lot of people really regret their spiteful attitudes.

We shall see won't we?

20. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Whats the count to release?

And yes. Given an unlimited amount of time.. maybe more people will * see the light *. But that can be said with almost any game in development. And obviously isnt realistic.
    Maybe a year or 2 Ep 2 will nail some of the original promisrs and goals closer to my own expectations. Maybe by then othrr games wont be doing it better.
    Good thing is, people will decide and eithrr way its been an interesting development to watch.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.