on players soloing dragons...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StrangerDiamond, Mar 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

It's funny to see that people pretending that "soloing a dragon" is reserved to the worthy and needs a lot of work and commitment (like if it was a meritocracy) when some other says that you don't need to be THAT strong to do it or that gear isn't important (yeah, try a fight when nude, and record that please, I can't wait to see that). Please try to agree when you try to defend the same point.

The only thing I see, personaly, is that @Sara Dreygon is admiting that the dragon isn't soloable for her (when not using magic spells) despite her very high level when some adventurer level 85 is able to do so.

When you notice all of this, everything (I mean every objective points) has been told. Skill balance has not been reached yet. And hybridation is still mandatory, which is a bad thing, when you try to promote a game as a RPG.

And no, bunny jumping has never been considered as a sign of any sort of player's skill, sorry.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Why?
    No really, why? It actually underlines how different playstyles are.
    For some folks it's an effort. Other people are just THAT good that it isn't a real efford at all after they figured it out.
    So why do we need a unified wording if we have a unified opinion?

3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

In single player offline, sure... they must test for that as well, open your mind :)

4. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Just because you can't tell one thing and the opposite or someone is wrong. Either you need a lot of efforts to kill the dragon either you don't, objectively. The fact that people have difficulties to kill the dragon doesn't mean that the dragon is hard to kill, in the absolute. It only means that some decks (skill combinations) HAVE to be used. As simple as that.

People who can kill dragons repeatidly without any effort are not "THAT good". They just understand how to build the best combinations of skills against the dragon (and ANY other bosses). Nothing miraculous here when you played the game several hundreds of hours, really.

The problem is that we are far from a game where you can play any role as long as only a few can do "competitive things" (and all of those involve spells).
    Because, you know, everyone want to be able to do the same competitive things in their own way.

Nikko and Xandra7 like this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'm not entirely certain why soloing a dragon is bad, other than "because some people don't like it."

Koss, Nikko, Mac2 and 2 others like this.
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Can you do it?
    Theorycrafting is an art in itself and most folks just aren't able to do it. So, yes, they ARE that good.

Eh....no. But i see it would be a pointless discussion about semantics and would finaly derail this thread. So let's agree not to agree.

Despothes2 likes this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Uhm ok thank you stranger, probably the longest and most confusing post I have ever began to read.

It will be for another time, since you obviously are condescending and have no idea how to communicate otherwise.

Have fun.

8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Exactly, don't lose sight that the phenomena goes both ways :)

This is a very bright light !

I am not a snitch :p

I just ask questions.

9. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

As someone who tested and collected all dragon colour heads, I need 2min (average) to solo dragons, this is my time for all "small" dragons (the rise one included, a bit higher level) except the clockwork one and Ancient dragon.

Heavy armor skills and weapon at 90 and GM. Using low level poisons (deadly).

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Wow you guys are really on your four horses this morning... !!!

WHATS THE HYPE ABOUT DRAGON THINGS HAPPENING !

Goodness gracious... there is no hype.

Noone should be able to solo a dragon in episode one, my opinion does not matter because it is FAR away from reality.

The question is, nobody even thinks about what they would prefer a dragon to be, if you think its just perfect, say it.

You think its perfect.

Perfect.

!

Simple.

Don't come riding down like the house was on fire, the dragon fire can't even hurt the uber players.. this is normal nothing to see.

Will you please look in this little device please.

*FLASH*

NEWS

Xandra7 likes this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

They indeed can stack spells quickly, its almost an art, mastery of the mouse. :p

So I agree here...

But my question was broader.

If dragons in SOTA are that stupid, you can tell me too.

they have 50 INT, their firebreath does not consume focus, shut up ahu :p

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

How do you fare with clockwork and ancient ?

13. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

And you ? Do you know what you are talking about ? You don't even know me and you hope that I don't know what I'm talking about. That sort of argument is the worst thing I ever heard. It just demonstrate how far you would go to make your point.

No, they are not.

As an exemple, a guy who can kill a dragon with his adventurer level 85 when he was taught how to do so didn't do anything by himself... But he kills the dragon.

He is not THAT good.

I don't intend to say that those people don't know what they are doing. I'm just trying to stop people with their "cult of the meritocracy" thing, which is just a way to not talk about the real problem also known as "balance".

Xandra7, Norah East and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Jipp.

My aren't you itchy. This isn't personal. So try to calm down a bit, could you?

No. But as an examkple: the person that taught him is :rolleyes:

Can we agree not to agree? I really have no personal issue with you and i have no idea where this rage comes from.

15. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Everytime I go for Clockwork and Ancient dragons I go with a few friends, 3-4 are enough if you a skilled team :)

Without progression feeling and goals I would have abandoned the game long ago.

Dhanas, the Lacedaemonian and Solazur like this.
  16. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I'm calm. I don't see any rage in my answer.

I'm just disappointed to see how you manage to presents others'opinion as crap.

Even if a level 1 player came here to told me that I'm wrong, I would listen to him as long as he uses valid arguments. Obviously, it's not your case.

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Says the person that did EXACTLY that.
    We are done here.
    Have a nice day.

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I think we have to push it further...

lets take my worse example... WoW, at a certain level bosses require certain combinations between tactics to be defeatable...

So lets take it from single player offline :

Avatar can hire a variety of companions, he will choose one in particular for that fight, with a custom deck, then each dragon has a special vulnerability, can be simple but something that makes you try things.

And in multiplayer, like WoW, some bosses require having at least 3 healers and 4 mages etc... some bosses are more vulnerable in their back, some have to be stunned with explosion potions etc... there is an infinity of cool things to insert here.

That is already pretty much in place (the bare bones) and I'm just asking the question :

Shouldn't dragons be like one of the summum of where that custom AI should go ? One of the most intelligent and fearsome creatures in ultima lore ?

Am I the only one to really be passionate about dragons... I used to draw and sculpt them as a kid... dragonlance was definately my favorite D&D series...

I'm not sad because someone has it easier than me...

I'm sad because we just aren't participating in the talk anymore.

Nobody is willing to move even on a detail like this ?

Could the ancient dragon be a normal dragon and the current "easy" dragons be drakes ?

Yes absolutely...

so I'm doing the truth questline right now...

I'm telling the truth.

19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

So, your question is if Dragons SHOULD be stronger.
    Yes, imo they should be.
    And yes there should be better raid mechanics for bosses.

Hornpipe likes this.
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

So technically, we could simply downscale the name like I suggested and then it would respect more lore and make more fans happy ?

Technically.

Hornpipe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.