on players soloing dragons...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StrangerDiamond, Mar 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I just pointed an inconsistency between two arguments used for the same thing and explained why it was an issue in my opinion. I didn't pointed anyone personaly to tell her to shut up just because "I feel like" she don't know what she is talking about, like you did with me. So let's me have a doubt about your EXACTLY. Nice day to you.

Norah East and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I think it has also been discussed to create some unique monsters right ?

Some that can be killed only once ?

Hornpipe and majoria70 like this.
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

If it helps. Imo it's anyway a lore mistake to add dragons that soon in this way.
    BUT! UO was pretty similar in regard to dragons. Hell, you could even have dragons as pets. The Fluff-fanatic inside me still crys every time i remember this.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2018
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Hehe... thats why I said its useless to compare it to the past, it was not programmed fully before it was changed by EA, there should also be dragon eggs in game, and baby dragons.

You see I always speak of the xorinite version of UO, in their plane of existance, there is a fully developped version I like fantasizing and roleplaying about :)

In that version, you cannot tame an adult dragon, unless your save its life or babies or something truely exceptional.

But you can sure tame a baby dragon, and slowly get it to obey you.

Very hard, like a alpha husky dog if you know what I mean :)

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I get what you are saying and wow is a great example. We waited so long for dragons to come into the game. We had threads about them and how we imagine them being intelligent and Epic. I pictured them strutting around like smaug in The Hobbit and being very intelligent. I was very disappointed by the AI honor dragons . They have no personality or very little.

For me im not wishing for more dPS but interesting challenging ai and it isn't about any one little thing to fix the bosses in this game it's about us having the experience of playing against a challenging and interesting ai boss. As we have seen the AI in this game is one of its weaker points.

I am not sure what the limitation is in this game compared to others I've played except that maybe it is because it is not aaa game and a lower budget game. I would hope it is possible with this game to make some interesting AI but I'm not sure if it is or not.

Perhaps someone who is techy would know that answer though. So some of us are not talking about the same thing. For me interesting and challenging would win out over more DPS or just more of the same unintelligent uninteresting creatures that we already have. And yes just my opinion.

Edited sorry I'm on my phone and hopefully I corrected the typos

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I understand... its just easy to lose control of the progression curve when people burn through content.

Now we need to slow down players with death decay...

My guild leader still is dressed in +1 normal epic plate. I have a better armor than him because some joyful blacksmith was generous that day.

I can barely afford reagents. We have to pitch together to afford the guildhouse taxes.

The whole game is made with harshness and coldness and no hand holding, so I think it should extend to lore and multiplayer scaling.

7. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Ultima never shielded the new player from seemingly impossible difficulties to overcome, I do not see a reason to expect otherwise. Consequences are to be accepted or overcome.

Which will you do?

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

High avoidance armor and buffs,
    Gear that gives massive ammount of strength + strength buffs,
    A shield helps,
    Potions,
    And high heal attunment + soothing rain + eleysium illumination.

9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

There are tier 3 zones you can make over 1000 gold in about half an hour if you go on a killing spree.

If you’re having alot of trouble with tier 3, mightneed to adress the weaknesses in your build or start moving around when you fight. Standing still and fighting only works well for tanks

Elwyn, StrangerDiamond and Dhanas like this.
  10. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

I think the dragon of Southern Grunvald, the one of The Fall and others with around 8k hp are just mini bosses, soloing them is intended; the Ancient one in North Blackblade mountain is a group content, realy hard to solo it.

It's normal that a lvl 52 player with just equip +1 cannot solo it, and probably cannot face it also with a group.

Like every MMORPG, here, progression (level, gear, experience, practice ) is important. With a good deck, experience points spent in the right way and a good gear you can defeat it at lvl 80, from level 1 to 80 is just 20kk xp.

You can easly do 20kk xp in less then 30h in every t5 zone, for example Deep's Ravenswood, Grannus Colossus, Wyrmsands, etc.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Solazur, Nikko and 4 others like this.
  11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It may also still be a matter of running tight circles around the dragon, making it spin where it doesnt attack you as much

12. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Death mages can solo everything and anything except the undead. They get locked out of killing undead but have the opportunity to solo dragons. Its just part of the game. Sometimes the dragon can get lucky and kill them when enraged, its a chance they are willing to take. And you need exceptional gear to make it work (ring of the lich kind) and chaotic feedback. Its not easy. The dragon is definitly hitting them, its not an exploit, they just recoop the damage instantly. Ive seen it done many times.

edit: definitly easier since death specialization

Stevvcash and StrangerDiamond like this.
  13. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Anyone can theorycraft. It's not advanced maths, it just takes time to pour over things. It's more some folks just can't be bothered. I'd ere on the no, they're not that good, they just have time and the inclination.

Hornpipe likes this.
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Jupp. I disagree.

15. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Out of curiosity then, how do you interpret it as difficult? It's very much like someone pours 400 packets of m&m's into a giant bowl. Anyone can sit there and sort them into colours, just not many are going to be bothered.
    In Sota the info is all there (the m&m's) , it just takes time to piece together an uber optional combination (sort the colours).

Stevvcash and Hornpipe like this.
  16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Wait, so while this whole thread is about people soloing it in multiplayer, showing that people are doing it in multiplayer, the dragon killing event was in multi player, your saying they were looking to fix it so its not soloable in multiplayer, but now we are talking about single player?

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

It maybe easy for you.
    And in fact i don't think it is difficult. I do TC since my 'Mandkind' times far back in the day.

But a lot of people don't do it. Back in the days when i ran a WoW progress raid guild and ask folks to do a bit of TC for raids and so on, roughly 70% of them told me it's too complicated for them. And only roughly 25% told me flat out that they just didin't want to put the effort into it that would be necessary. The last 5 or so % actually did TC.

In fact i would say the numbers are still roughly the same if it comes down to TC talks in EvE (though i admit that EvE has a far more complex TC than most other games ^^) or Albion.

In my personal experience a lot of people just aren't good in math for a gazillion different reasons. Especially if it comes down to statistics and stochastics. And being able to sort out the numbers is all cool and froody but you still have to know what they mean and how to use the results in the correct way.

If you want to tell me that this isn't rocket science i fully agree with you.
    About the rest *shrugs* make up your own mind about people.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Are dragons intended to be soloable? The ONLY people who can answer this are the devs, as they are the makers of the game. Does not matter what you THINK it should be.

Koss, Ahuaeynjgkxs, Nikko and 4 others like this.
  19. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I don't want to say something wrong but I think that I remember that they said that was not their intention (non replied telethon questions if my memory is correct). That said, after reading some ideas here, I think that :
    - they should keep the smallest dragons solo-able, in order to offer diverse challenges,
    - they should improve the AI in order to make it credible and not-exploitable,
    - they should find a solution for people who don't use magic spells to be competitive (with some exclusively non magic skills for healing, for exemple),
    - they should find a proper fix for the resistance/attunement problematic as soon as they can.

The good news is that (I believe) most of those things are already on their planning.

20. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

From the response I got from chris when I started to solo kill the dragon, and someone actually phoned him about it, it did not sound like I was doing something wrong, we had a laugh about it. There are regeneration pots and healing pots, just remember, those who using healing can use all those too, so if you add too much non magic healing, you might create unkillable situations. I have been an advocate of a resistance passive that can be leveled up without using magic. One in each school that to keep balance = to what it is now will require the same amount of exp to gm as a person has to spend in the school to get 100 attunement worth of resistance.

Koss, Ahuaeynjgkxs, Solazur and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.