Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Questions About Taming

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by r-DotPhunky, May 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

Hi all,

I have some questions about taming. If this is not the correct forum please feel free to move my post. :)

My taming level is currently 39.

At level 40 I see a stat that says... 100% Effective. What does that actually mean?

Is the % chance for taming bugged? I'm able to tame Large Timber Wolves with some success... but the % to tame chance always shows <1% no matter how far I beat the wolf down before attempting to tame.

At this level... would anyone be willing to share a good spot to practice taming? I'm currently up in Ulfheim trying to tame Elder Wolves but I don't think I'm high enough level yet as I keep losing collars.

Thanks,

~R

Jordizzle and Leelu like this.
  2. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

I wound up receiving the information I was looking for via private message.

Personally - I have given up on taming. The sheer amount of resources required to facilitate it via the collars is the turn off here. I don't mind using silver for the whistle... but for the collar? Considering how often one loses a collar on failure... having silver as part of the recipe is really prohibitive to players wanting to use the skill.... but maybe that's the idea?

Not to be one to have an issue and not try to provide a solution... I'd like to share my idea to improve taming. I'm sure some of this has been suggested - I have not read back through the forums so if that's the case - I apologize. :)

Taming Whistle - I think the 2 silver bars used in this recipe is fair considering you only chance breaking the tool while crafting. Heck if you removed silver from the collar recipe I'd even be OK with 3 bars on this recipe... or even 2 silver and 1 gold. Either way - this recipe feels pretty balanced/fair right now but could be made "more time expensive" if the collars are made "less time expensive".

Taming Collar - I'll outline my experience and you all can tell me if I'm being unreasonable or not. I spent ~2 evenings of gaming time working the mines to come up with 64 bars of silver. I crafted 12 whistles and 40 collars. In the course of 1 hour... I tamed 2 creatures, gained 2 skill points... and used 40 collars. Taking into account all of the resources required to make all of those components (the wood, leather, iron and silver) it's a huge time sink for very little reward. I'm fine with coming away with 2 successes at level 40 taming... but to only gain 2 skill points and have spent all those resources? That's the part that gets to me.

I see a few paths for improvement:

1. Collars are only consumed on a successful tame - I was told this is the way it was before. I can see the issues with this... I make 40 collars and they are going to last a long, long time.

2. Drastically reduce the loss rate of collars during taming - this would increase the amount of skill one would receive for each collar lost. Making the collars doesn't change at all... one just gains more skill for the expense of all the resources used.

3. Change the Taming Collar recipe and remove silver. If I'm going to be losing the collars as often as I do - that's fine... then make them easier to make, please. Replace silver with something we can purchase in quantities from a vendor. If the collar was less time intensive to make and the whistle juuuuust slightly more time intensive to make... I think it works out to be a fair deal.

Thanks for reading. Clearly I'm fond of #3... but I'd be thankful for any attention to this skill. :)

Beli and Jordizzle like this.
  3. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I understand your issues. I'm not currently a fan of taming in SOTA myself. It feels more like "animal collecting" rather than taming, since there is no need to feed or train pets to keep them "tamed" after you have one. Add to that the issues you've mentioned. . and you can understand why I haven't put any thought or effort into taming in several releases :/ Here's to hoping it gets better in the coming releases.

tonotrigger likes this.
  4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

a while back they changed it where a colalr is not consumed on ever taming attempt. the higher level the creature you try to tame, the greater chance of losing a collar while trying to tame it, so practicing on lower level animals was benificial. I never tried myself but they had said they changed it this way, and introduced a skill that further decreases the chance your collar will be consumed per attempt.

More recently i had heard that usign the animal healing ability also raised your base tamign skill. But i have not tried it.

5. agra

agra Avatar

A 38/40 (95%) consumption rate is too high. It should go back to being collars consumed only on success. At least that way was ever so slightly fun and entertaining.

r-DotPhunky likes this.
  6. tonotrigger

tonotrigger Avatar

I'm waiting and hoping that taming will have an interesting update before episode 2. That is afterall why I came to an MMO space to begin with. I can fight in other games, I can sell things in other games, I can collect pets in other games. In no other game can I tame and ride a dragon, or even a horse for that matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.