Training skills

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Old Hickory, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Hickory

Old Hickory Avatar

So I have been told to only train 6-9 skills at a time (green arrow up skills)
    Does this include both adventuring and crafting?
    or
    should I use 6-9 crafting and 6-9 adventuring?

Thanks for any input!

2. Tamsen

Tamsen Avatar

The short answer:

Adventuring experience points and crafting experience points are separate from each other, so there's one worry gone. You can train adventuring and crafting skills simultaneously if you want to, and they won't step on each other. You can train in one or both as you like.

More than you asked:

You can have as few or as many "green" (currently training) skills in adventuring and/or crafting as you like.

As you play the game and use various skills, you are always earning experience points. Those points go into a "pool" to be used when you actively choose to train a skill. For example, when you mine ore or pick garlic or craft a helmet, you accumulate points in the crafting pool. When you kill a mob or cast a spell, you accumulate points in the adventuring pool.

When you turn on that little green arrow on a skill, that skill will then slurp up points out of its associated pool, for as long as you have the green arrow on and are using that skill*. When you turn the green arrow off, that skill stops going up. If you have three skills in green, you'll lose points from your pool a lot faster because they're being slurped up by three skills all at once.

I think of it as dipping into an actual pool or well, and pouring the water into a bunch of smaller buckets, one bucket per "green" skill. The more you pour into a bucket, the less there is in the well ... but the well continually and slowly fills back up.

Some people will tell you to train this or that but not THAT, and they will have "rules" about how to train most efficiently and manage your experience points most efficiently. It's probably all going to be solid advice. Some people favor keeping as large a pool as possible; that's why they tell you to only train a few skills.

My own advice, for the rather little that it's worth, is to get all the advice people want to give you, write it down and learn the concepts, then forget everything and play just exactly the way you want to. Don't worry so much about numbers and about how somebody else tells you to play.

*(That explanation was a little simplistic. Some skills are raised only when you use that skill and that skill alone. Others are raised indirectly by using associated skills. But that's a little in-depth than you were asking about.)

Kara Brae, Elwyn and Old Hickory like this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Old Hickory likes this.
  4. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

Hey buddy! If you need some advanced help on getting started you should jump into my guilds Teamspeak <EVL> and we can help you with any aspects of the game you are confused on! evl.teamspeak3.com

Old Hickory likes this.
  5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

They use separate XP pools. The most important rule is to stop things at 60-80 until you know what you're doing. If you never turn off a skill, it will eventually suck down more XP than you can earn, no matter how long you've been playing.

Grimsley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.