Thanks to you our backers! - (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord British, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cik

Cik Avatar

Thank-you, Lord British. Congratulations, and looking forward to contributing to something that many have not looked forward in a long time.

2. Ric Blackheart

Ric Blackheart Avatar

You're welcome, Lord British. Thank you for starting this project, I wish you the best of luck and I am waiting with great anticipation to see what you and the team, along with the whole supporting community manage to put together. I get a sense that we are about to see a much needed gust of fresh air into the RPG world, imho it is much needed. I know I will be checking in daily to get all the news updates, watching all the vidoes you offer for us and maybe dropping my own ideas into the mix. I love how open the whole process has been thus far, Thank you for that.

3. Avatar the Avatar

Glad to be a part of history, my liege!

4. Kirthag

Kirthag Avatar

Thank you RG for this! And now... let the coding continue!!!

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Glad to help out! I select one of the early adopters, so I hope I can help in the early testing stages.

6. Entheos

Entheos Avatar

It's so amazing to see all the best developers (RG, Chris Roberts, Mark Jacobs from Mythic (DAOC), and other veterans) come back from their retirement to once again take up the Gauntlet and face down the Publishing dragons and put them in their place. I've already backed SotA, "Star Citizen/Squadron42" and "Camelot Unchained" to support these fine developers, and I can't wait for each of their games to be finished!

7. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

If I could have convinced my wife to let me spend more backing you guys I would have!

But I rather not sleep in the doghouse!

Thank you for continuing to develop immersing games!

8. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I just want to say that I am SO, SO enthusiastic about this project. I just love every aspect about it, it's one of things that is like the stars aligning and good things just happening. The time for SotA is unquestionably now.

So cheers to the Devs and the other supporters and Lord British. The Kickstarter weekend was phenomenal! The Devs are phenomenal! And the fact that most of all the Stretch goals will now be consider is just phenomenal! And the money and backers continue to roll in, and I'm sure that as game reaches launch time that momentum will continue to build, there will be plenty of "resources" around to enable this game to be huge. It's truly great to see a project like this built by such dedicated and passionate people.

I love the attitude from all the devs, they are really pulling their sleeves up as it seems.
    I wish the best for this game and hope that this effort will be rewarded greatly by being a legendary game.

9. Sychotic

Sychotic Avatar

Thank YOU for coming back to the world of gaming and taking us back to world map traveling,cannot wait,a feature that most devs either neglected to use or forgotten all about,such a great way of doing it.

10. timedilation

timedilation Avatar

I must inform you lord, the prototype looks absolutely wonderful!
    You are one of the few people who truly understands what makes RPGs great and who is willing to think outside the box! I can't tell you enough how tired I am of seeing the same old MMO formula.
    The fact that you are focusing on single player tells me that you know your first priority is making a great game, before making it online capable.
    It truly is a rarity to see devs that just "get it" these days.
    I have full confidence in you and could not be more excited.

11. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Lord Vaylgar Vexsian Avatar

Welcome back for sure!
    After years of meaningless wandering with a hole in my gut where your games used to fill so perfectly , it is great to see you back and making games again YOUR way without people telling you what to change!! Same people said UO would never work, that people didnt want a sub fee before games were on a subscription, you proved them wrong there , I say lets do it again!

12. Tamara2

Tamara2 Avatar

I am glad to see you and the team work on bringing back the spirit of Ultima for us, Lord British.

For me personally, to be present for this and help make it happen in a small part is a very intriguing prospect, to possibly see this become another wonderfully interesting and immersive experience in RPG history. To imagine looking back at this game after some years and think "I was there when it came to be and I was happy to help a little to make it happen." is such a charming thought of possible nostalgia.
    That's all just imagination for now of course, thinking how it might have been like for early players of UO perhaps, to "have been there", but I am hopeful that SotA will become something lovely.

I still adore Ultima 7 to this day and so few games even today have the same level of depth and interaction of what you and the talented Origin Systems have created so many years ago already. Maybe some people would not understand why being able to... 'take a sack of flour, pour it on a table, add a bucket of water from the well to make bread dough and put it in the oven until brown' ...is something I appreciate, but for me it's wonderful how wholesome and immersive the world of Ultima tried to be in those days and it even managed to do it without those manual tasks being tedious in Ultima 7. They were something you just could do if you wanted and it made it fun. It felt like a living functional world instead of just a selection of required gameplay elements. "We create worlds" was a fitting slogan indeed.
    I only came late into Ultima Online when I finally had access to the internet like 8 or so years ago and so its glory-days had already passed, only being told stories of the days when Lord British still walked the lands by the friends I made there, but I was still able to love my time there, being in my favorite computer fantasy world from my youth and "live" in it for some time as a dynamic version of it with other people.

I'm looking forward to a similar satisfaction from Shroud of the Avatar and I'm glad to hear how important immersion still is to you when you bring up ideas how for example the existence of so many avatars and their apparent immortality will be woven into the story organically, rather than just being "game-y elements" that we have to ignore to preserve immersion. It's great that you care about such things.

All the best to you and the team for this to be a successful and enjoyable project for all of you and us. And thank you for letting us be a part of it.

13. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

Welcome back to the land of sandbox fantasy MMO creation you were sorely missed

As im on the disability pension i will be donating up to knight level as my funding wont permit me to go further but i do so look forward to recieving the goodies that the knight lvl will provide me. Also i missed kickstarter due to finding out about it late but i have still donated and hopefully get the knight lvl.

I played UO from the beginning and still play it a little todate, its had quite a few blows since you left but playing it still brings memories flooding back from days of old when i was in my early teens on dial up here in Australia fighting the enormous lag monster determined to enjoy the game. Ah such fond memories. I reallllllly look forward to the new game even though im dubious about the 2d travel map but hay im sure you guys know best what to do :cool:

14. Fingertaint

Fingertaint Avatar

Mr. GLB,

Your games have made me the lethargic couch potato I am today, and for that, I must thank you!

That aside, the Ultima series has meant a lot to me, and anybody who starts preaching about games, especially RPGs to me, without even recognizing the name of the Ultima series really manages to get my goat. I got started on U6 when I was 6, after my brothers finally let me use the game instead of them hogging the all of 1 save available, and I was hooked. Heck, I was hooked just watching them for the several years previous to that.

What else can I say? Get this show on the road and let me be as good or evil as I choose!

-Best,
    Me

15. LadyM

LadyM Avatar

Ever since I picked up a copy of Ultima Online for my birthday, in the year of 1997, my life changed forever. For you to give us this opportunity to participate in the creation of Shroud of the Avatar, feels both like starting a new, exciting adventure and like coming home. Thank you for that Lord British, from the bottom of my heart.

16. DiGiTyDarKMaN

DiGiTyDarKMaN Avatar

Late bloomer here, for some reason this slipped past my radar for quite some time. Guess I have been busy. I've been dying to find something that will fill the Ultima Online void in my life for years. Tram. started killing the UO I loved, though I still played for a few years. One day I went into town, emptied out my bank and opened a moon gate to my house and dropped it while watching everyone slay each other over what I had spent countless years collecting or Camping IDOCS... which was my favorite thing ever. I've followed Richard around through the years bought the CE of Tabula Rasa, couldnt get into it. However I see this here, sadly got in a tad late to gain the cool stuff but without spending more then twenty minutes looking around I jumped in at the Dev. Pledge. Would be happy to be a part of this, Can't wait.

Signed, DiGiTyDarKMaN (Pacific/Baja Vet)

17. G Din

G Din Avatar

@Digity : Welcome ! Sorry you just missed the cutoff date :( I"m sure you will be satisfied at that level anyway.

Isaiah MGT470 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.