Tried something different yesterday... Fishing in Ravensmoor!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeadnGone, Jul 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

I wanted to do something different yesterday and I hadn't been fishing in a very, very long time. So I thought about a decent Tier 5+ areas with some water areas and Ravensmoor kind of stood out, especially with the recent changes to making it a Tier 8+ zone.

So here are some things that stood out to me while I was there:

1.) Once I made it to the shoreline, it was kind of nice there, especially with the natural lighting at dusk and night.

2.) I stayed only a little while, gaining another 11pts in fishing and bait recovery each, but wanted to know if a Tier 8+ zone adequately boosted the xp levels for crafter/producer xp type actions. I only noticed 200 cxp per *successful* cast and catch there. Doesn't seem like the cxp is adequate for risk/reward for zone atm. I believe it should be the same as ore/lumber/cotton, at least 500 or take it to x100 per tier of zone. That being said, it should be the same for other harvestables too. There is just as much risk and time spent harvesting as the other materials.

3.) Unsuccessful casts get "0"... nada... nothing... zilch... for experience. Seems like if the cast and wait times are going to be slightly over a minute (all animations and clicking included), that you should get at least something.

4.) Cast times are too long for the amount of xp received. I could probably say this for a lot of crafting tasks but this definitely is a major point of Fishing. At least make it worth the wait or reduce the wait if you're getting nothing for it is all I'm saying.

5.) Caught some bass, trout, 2/2 durability Leather Boots, and a Cloth Helm :) I do like finding stuff while fishing, but this is still old stuff. I know fishing is not a priority by any means, but a little tweaking to the loot tables, exp tables, etc would be nice and fairly simple until a major pass eventually comes around to the whole fishing system.

6.) Gathered some ore, clay, and oysters while I was at the shore. Still, ore was giving 500 cxp per vein, clay seemed odd.. while there were a lot of clay deposits (this is good), they seemed to only give 200 cxp (low for risk/reward and you do the exact same thing for ore but get more cxp) ...and sometimes the clay deposits gave nothing at all. Noticed it twice, but I'll have to do more extensive testing before submitting a bug report. The oysters gave hardly any cxp at all, like the same as if you were in a tier 1 adventure zone and very little. Seems these need boosting as well.

7.) If fishing is boring for you, then the elite archer skeletons, elite mages and archmages will certainly keep you on your toes :) Be wary of the entrance to the zone. Though they boosted the level and toughness of the mobs... they did NOT push back their spawning points near the zone entrance or thier ability to SWARM the zoneline (which is also where you resurrect) so a horde of mobs can technically spawn camp you! I believe they need to push their spawn points back some and have a somewhat safe spot to respawn at. That could be intended though.

8.) If you enter the zone and go immediately left, you can somewhat dodge most of the "combined" rings of spawn and patrols that may jump you going forward from entrance. If you do, you'll notice a nice little grouping of Obsidian Boars in the left corner of forest wall... just be careful of the Archmage if you're not strong enough to tackle him and possibly a few elite defenders near him.

All-in-all I like the changes and is a decent challenge there now. The fishing still needs loving, but if the cxp was boosted on those things above, including fishing, I wouldn't mind making that a main fishing spot.

Witcheypoo, Bayard, Neonis and 7 others like this.
  2. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

Fishing enhancements are coming soon, they have said on last couple of livestreams.
    I like fishing at Greymark Forest along the river bank there for similar reasons. : )

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

They need to add a small pond to the UT cave so you can fish between waves or while ur afking to let attenuation burn off.

Hehe... I hope great fishing is coming, ill keep the decks swabbed.(yes brugas, another boat reference tossed in there).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Brugas, Neonis, FrostII and 4 others like this.
  4. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

This is a very well thought out post. I agree with nearly 100% of it. I think the only danger is in giving any crafting XP for a failed cast (not bringing anything up). There are obvious reasons this could be bad, unless you can make it so that the XP only comes in (upon fail) when the game senses that you have moved a bit. I am one that would never, ever fish in RL, but I sure do hope it turns into something great in this game. UO brings some wonderful memories of my GM treasure hunter character. I absolutely loved it. With ships, and sea serpents, and all of that coming (at some point), fishing could truly be one of the greatest things in the game soon.

Witcheypoo, FrostII and Brugas like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

The long awaited Fishing update is coming in R58. I've really been pushing for a full update to take it out of its bare bones status. Some Things imo it must have:

Many types of fish. For example brook trout, sea bass, flame fish, sharks, piranhas, cave fish, icey water fish

More bait types. Different fish are caught with different bait. Some craft-able, some found through out the world.

Fish have weights and lengths to make fishing contests viable. Perhaps a fish swallowed a tax-free deed during one fishing event that was announced.

Fishing quests that give for example rarer bait or harder to get bait. Maybe they give a special fishing pole with heavier line to catch heavier fish.

New loot table for fishing. It's fine to catch some old clothes but it needs updated to fish up interesting things also like catching a hand with a ring on it that could be a quest.

Later we have been told they are adding message in a bottle that could have a quest or perhaps a piece of a treasure map when treasure hunting comes in.

I want to have water life like plants, some agro things like crabs, starfish, sharks that come after you. The waters are a bit empty feeling. Later when boating comes in we need to have sea monsters and creatures. So just a small amount of thoughts. I have other threads and examples but I'm away with my mom atm. Pictures are not easy for me on this phone. So let's get a great update for R58 by getting our thoughts and voices heard.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  6. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

Thank you for being such a strong advocate for this Majoria this whole time - miss you, can't wait to have you back in game : )

Sentinel2, Witcheypoo, Jaesun and 3 others like this.
  7. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

I agree, just think they need to reduce the time for a "fail" if you get nothing... the cast animation is a minute plus a lil more for finding the spot before you cast, which is not really on par with other harvesting skills. So maybe increase the success xp or give you a little something on a fail, or just reduce the cast times :)

8. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Oh I forgot to add I did enjoy fishing in the swirl of fish out there... could just see their fins above water when further out, but as you get closer they kind of look like a school of Coho Salmon. Not sure if those replace the old "white swirlies" that used to represent "hot spots" for fishing or not.

Nikko likes this.
  9. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Very true. Should be adjusted in some way for sure.

Brugas and FrostII like this.
  10. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I quite like the cooking in this game, and some of your ideas, @majoria70 would make both fishing and cooking much more fun! It would be a double whammy of deliciousness.

11. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

@Brugas - The Ankh at the zone in is not the only one in the scene. I know there is at least one more that is on the left side, near the edge of the cliff at the water line.

So, if you die with a swarm at the entrance, just cruise on over to the left opposite corner and you can respawn in safety there. The only thing that is around that Ankh is a Grizzly Bear and if he is too tough for you, you can still safely just run to the cliff edge and hop up on the rocks.

Witcheypoo, Nikko and Brugas like this.
  12. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Yep fishing enchancements coming soon*, originally Q4 2016

Brugas and Brewton like this.
  13. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

I love fishing in this game. I can't wait for the update. I seem to be stuck at 98 skill though since I am almost out of producer xp and don't want to go mining for more. Does fishing in a 5+ zone really give more xp than fishing in a POT like I've been doing?

Neonis and Brugas like this.
  14. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Yeah, that was what I was wondering with the changes to the zone... to see if you'd get more harvest/craft xp there. At the moment, it is still just 200 cxp per successful catch.

15. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

<Crusty old fisherman looks at Brugas and says, "Son, you know what the reward for fishin is? Ya get to fish. It's not bout how many times throw your line in the water, how many fish ya catch or how yer gettin better, it's about havin the time to fish and do nothing else.">

Great post and I agree the fishing system still needs love. I still don't understand why there isn't more variety in the fishing loot tables or types of fish but I suppose the devs are working on higher priorities.

16. Bekido

Bekido Avatar

ive tried fishing in the fall before, not sure i was ever able to catch anything but it had a % chance :/ used to really bug me lol

Brugas likes this.
  17. Floors

Floors Avatar

I want some Obsidian fish. And I want to be able to struggle with that line.

majoria70 likes this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

What Darkstarr said was the reason for fishing to keep getting pushed was because not all water was updated in every scene and that needed to happen first before giving fishing it's update. Except it got pushed again and again. So now here we are 2 or 3 years later hoping to get this system out of barebones status with an awesome update giving it so much it needs still.

Jaesun and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.