Fishing updates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arya Stoneheart, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

@majoria70 makes a good point made before. The practice in SOTA of promising new features, delivering a very pared down and limited foundation, with promises of more to come and then never or rarely coming back to it.

Yet new concepts that weren't in the original vision pop up and take up resources that could otherwise be used for enriching, fixing bare bones stuff that is already there.

Port need to retain and grow the player base everything else is largely irrelevant if the game goes down the tubes, so maybe this is why new ideas rather than refinements are being pushed out? But where did player made dungeons spring from? Were players screaming for them over requests for performance improvements, bug fixes, the quest log replacement, loot table fixes, fishing, lore....?

The other thing that concerns me about player made dungeons, beyond it being a bit of a surprise, significant distraction and draw on resources, is: are the players creating the new content now? How much focus will Port have on quests and content if the player themselves are all over player created content and demanding new functionality. I'm not energised by player made dungeons, though many are, hence my reaction to this major diversion is one of concern, not of excitement.

MFWalter likes this.
  2. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Can we get some fertilizer too. Having an optional fertilizer when gardening, when there isn't actually anything to use is probably my biggest pet peeve in the game right now. Maybe we can fish up some ingredients that we could turn into fertilizer.

Also would love to see small, medium, and large fish tanks. How cool would it be if we could catch a fish, put it in a bucket of water and then bring it home for the fish tank. Maybe the fish poop and make fertilizer you acquire from cleaning the tank?

Or just have the damn npcs sell me some fertilizer. Either that or please remove that option until it's added to the game.

Do you know how many times someone has asked me where to get fertilizer!?!

3. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

Shoot for that matter, where are the silver and gold scraps that have been in the smelting tree for the past year?? Look items that are either in game or not in game that are not finished.. Black cutworm anyone? I just wish they would FINISH the items that need to be fixed prior to adding more items in game. Fix what is broken in game first!

MFWalter and Kaffien like this.
  4. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Player owned dungeons are in response to people wanting new quests and things to do. Their development rate of quests is easily outstripped by player completion rate. It is definitely not the it took 5 hours to write so it takes 5 hours to play situation.

So if they let players develop quests, then players should be able to solve some of the need to create new content for other players.

Lord Stein likes this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

Majoria, to be fair, we are lucky we still even have a game with the reception it got and playerbase we have. The game, let's face it, hasn't achieved success yet.

There are alot of great things that make life better and I'm glad those things are in and while Im looking forward to fishing alot, I don't know if it's really critical to anything like ummm, solidly written quests and story.

"What if the thing you were excited about never got finished". Well, I was really looking forward to items being like "Elf-slayer" or "Undead Bane" as that was promised back in 2014. We never got that either. So totally familiar with that.

But... I think we can't lose perspective that we are lucky to have a game at all right now. I still trust the dev team is doing their best, but you know, doing a game this ambitious with such a small crew - we have to cut them a bit of slack.

Lord Stein, Fungus and Elwyn like this.
  6. Floors

Floors Avatar

I have never even seen blue or orange ones yet.

Ah, saw a blue one in crafters town.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  7. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

The disparity between time to develop content vs time to consume content is true no matter what the game is.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  8. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

@redfish the suggestion of more varieties of fish as well as certain fish for certain areas has been requested before but has been VERY low on the list for a long time. So excited that we will start to see things moving forward on fishing. Would love to have a reason to use my GM fishing and bait recovery skills. Would love to see better fish recipes with longer times on them. Int buff would be perfect for harder fish caught. Would be wonderful to fish up chests from shipwrecks and have Fiersome monsters for a group to fight. I must admit I saw a lot of great ideas. Would also like to see other kinds of fish bait used for deep sea fishing.

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Lol and you don't think I have. I have been here rallying for this game even while the focus has gone all over the place and have never left the game in all these years. I have no plans to go anywhere. The devs are focusing imo now but if we don't let them know what we see then they may not know. I absolutely love our dev team. They are so awesomely determined and wonderfully full of heart and spirit. I am amazed always by them. I speak up because I care so much and feel strongly that leaving barebones systems is a horrible mistake for this game. Saying that does not mean I don't feel their struggles and know they are horribly over worked, way short staffed, and dealing with way too low of a budget for such an ambitious undertaking. Anyone who knows me knows I have a strong obsession for this game being all it can be. I want it to be a virtual home for many looking for this. Incomplete systems won't provide that world. Full featured systems should. I truly am not complaining just stating something I feel in my heart is extremely important. So as always imo.

10. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

TBH whether you view this as a my opinion or not if folks want a fishing game they'll go buy one that's designed to do just that and nothing else, I expect there's a few out there. The crux of it though is fishing is not a game changer for 99.99% of MMO / RP community and therefore will not draw new players into the game and nor will it draw lots of those who've left for pastures new. It's a side game feature at best and at the moment with limited resources to ensure the game survives long term its a nice to have rather than an imperative feature. I get your 100% passionate about the game but fishing really won't be a game changer or saver whatever the circumstances.

I agree certain elements need some TLC pre moving on with Episode 2 but not at the expense of overall game play.

I think the majority of PvP'rs have been chased out so you're probably right, but as stated above

Spot on & nailed far more eloquently than I managed ;)

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well the fishing update is happening so it is a moot point and nothing was ever said about making this a fishing game by me. I speak for all systems of the game to be great and to be in a more polished finished full featured condition as a practice even PvP.

Having 3 fish types wasn't ok or finished even admitted by the devs. So making me up to be someone who only cares about fishing is not true but I'm not here about me.

I'm here rallying for focus on every system of the game that gets neglected. I won't just be fishing you can count on that but sometimes I will be especially if they give us fishing dailies with fishing merchants giving out some rare bait types or a special pole that can catch heavier fish.

This game is a game with something for everyone. It may not be the strongest in anyone thing but it will be a terrific mesh of many things. I see people come back all the time who have left to check out things.

So we just keep pushing forward one update after another and I vote for making each and every one of those as detailed as possible.

I also say that one day we will get them all updated and to a state we can be proud of especially if they keep focus and don't listen to those who want to skimp on systems just because its not their favorite. I don't want them to skimp on any of them. That's why we are in the state we are in imo. Lack of focus to complete things.

So Too many fingers in the pie. Not all a bad thing too since if they get us out of a barebones state and rich with details what an amazing game this will be well and already is. And no system will be the one.

Some may still choose to go to a fishing game or a full PvP game but they still may call this their virtual home. It is the big picture and I don't have to be right over anyone or make them wrong in their passion about this game. It all matters and needs focus.

Luca Xante likes this.
  12. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I do recall Chris mentioning that Int food would be harder to get all round as the stat is very powerful. I'd love to see more for sure. Cant wait to see what they bring :)

majoria70 likes this.
  13. MFWalter

MFWalter Avatar

Maybe I missed something, but why is INT so much more powerful than STR or DEX? I have always felt they were too stingy with INT buffs and now I know why, but I don't understand it. Is it that INT is magic? If so, do we need to look into magic being too powerful when compared to non-magic?

14. Floors

Floors Avatar

I think it's because it affects magic and makes magic unbalanced at high INTs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.