Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please no list mode on release

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Zaldimar, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Margard

Margard Avatar

I would like to suggest having different color bags and possibly having four "pocket" slots in bags/unique bag

Lord Baldrith and Oliver Sudden like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

I would make it harder to move heavy items. But that's just me :) I don't really mind those kinds of limits, personally.

But yea, what's important about the bag system is not just the "realism" but that there are ways in which it adds to gameplay.

Margard likes this.
  3. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

I like the pockets idea.

I'm imagining bags will be able to be dyed like they were in UO.

4. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

I support removing list mode.

The argument of list mode vs. cluttered bag is "You can turn off list mode and play your way."

That is a true statement, but why not also have a button on your map that shows where resources (mining nodes, deer, berries, etc) are located?
    List supporter response - "Ah, but you don't have to select that button! You can keep it immersive by having to look around yourself, but let me have easy-mode please."

I don't like an easy-mode button. Learn to keep your stuff organized.

Also, think of all the poor bag/container merchants you're hurting! :)

Valice_Belgraham and Zaldimar like this.
  5. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Who says you can't use bags/boxes while using list mode?

3devious likes this.
  6. Margard

Margard Avatar

It's not about it being easy - its about being able to sort/look through things in a reasonable time ... I'm I little conflicted I agree with Redfish ... the bag system adds to gameplay ... and having to "look" for items in containers as you find them is immersive and a useful game mechanic.

I want this feature to remain in game ... to be honest I would like every container that a player discovers to be drag and drop (crafting resources too for exploit reasons)

However - once they are in our inventory utilizing the list is functional and a reasonable request ... it's not lazy to utilize tech to perform a function that enhances the gameplay experience; I'm not here to play the organize my bag game :)

docdoom77 and Arkhan like this.
  7. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

I'm on your side with that one. I've been saying that from the start, that even a free form bag system needs some major revamps so that unrealistically big things can't be carried, and huge chest in bags can't happen. Pack animals and carts should be implemented for heavy loads and large items. Large house items such as beds, tables, and crafting stations should be something that require you to either have you or another player craft it on sight, delivered from a vender station by use of cart or teleportation spell, or bought through a deed for extremely big items.

Can't expect a single person or small group of people to harvest a forest, gather stones, and craft other related components to make a keep or castle, but to create a crafting station, tables, or large art pieces, we should be required to make or purchase those without the use of a deed.

At least that way there is a sense of economy by needing builders, craftsmen, and animal handlers.

8. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

You could dye items in UO depending on if you had the proper kind of dye. Such as cloth, leather, or furniture.

9. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

right. Some people tend to argue "realism" without realizing that the option they pick isn't very realistic either.

Neither current option is actually realistic, no matter how you slice it.

10. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

I have to admit that I'm firmly in the "list mode as an option" camp. If I have a couple of hundred different items bag mode is rapidly going to become very boring. By the time I've spent twenty minutes looking for the thing that "I know I put in here somewhere" instead of actually enjoying my game I think my brain would be just about ready to dribble out of my ears onto the ground in a rather distressing little pool of grey cranial gunk.

On the other hand, although I can see it being slightly annoying if I had to move a lot of stuff, I like Valice's idea of not being able to fit three wardrobes, a commode and the complete encyclopedia Britannica (pun completely intended) into my backpack. One idea may be to have designated delivery points. So if you buy things too big to carry you can ask the vendor to deliver them to your house, they actually appear on a cart at some point and trundle along until they arrive at your house at which point you can find them in your house "chest". If you don't have a house chest then you can carry what you can carry and the rest of your kit is either stored on your horse or in "Arty's useful storage company's" warehouse (or whatever you want to call a storage vendor). This would certainly help with immersion although there's always a toss up between immersion and actually making a game that doesn't make you want to climb a tall building and start shooting people within the first fifteen minutes of play.

If anyone here has played EVE Online and has ever had to move from the north null sec to south null sec with all their gear then you'll be only too aware of how dull moving stuff around can rapidly become.

Darius Falc.

docdoom77 and Valice_Belgraham like this.
  11. Oliver Sudden

Oliver Sudden Avatar

The first Ultima that had things jumble around (U7?) inside the backpack and not just stay where I carefully put them surprised me at first, then I liked it. It felt more like what I experienced in everyday life, with all the heavy, smaller stuff sifting to the bottom of my pockets and back packs.

Anyway, yeah, I learned to use littler bags to sort things, but mostly what I've found in all the games I've played is that at first I find inventory (or combat or keyboard shortcuts or etc etc etc) awkward and confusing, and then later on get used to it. The option idea as it is now is fine by me, but I'll probably stick with the jumbled mess option. I'd hate to find everything sorted when my char busts open a chest or is looting a fallen enemy, though.

12. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

If that's the only thing used to justify having no list system, pardon me if I still think some people might believe that the benefits of a list system outweigh this very small game play element. Things can be hidden in a game in all sorts of ways. There is nothing that says it has to be based on the inventory system. Obviously then, if there's a list system, things can be hidden in other ways if need be.

docdoom77 likes this.
  13. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't know what others here think about this, but I think it would be cool too if dead bodies had paperdolls and you would get that instead of the "skull and bones" container.

14. Margard

Margard Avatar

I like the idea but would that require a lot of dev work?

15. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Id say that keeping both styles can work (as is working right now)., so keep both and let the user choose.

Bayridge, docdoom77 and prospereau like this.
  16. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

1. I don't mind the list view but I would like to see both the list and the bag view at the same time.
    2. For thieves they should only see our bag view.
    3. It would be nice to dbl click on items to go into your inv. instead of dragging every time.

docdoom77 and Valice_Belgraham like this.
  17. SirWhale

SirWhale Avatar

List view is the only tolerable mode to me at the moment. I'm hoping for some big improvements in the UI for handling inventory.

docdoom77 likes this.
  18. Bayridge

Bayridge Avatar

I think the option of list inventory view was great. Simple toggle system would be sufficient, hopefully they can make sure it has scroll mouse ability :)

docdoom77 likes this.
  19. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

As long as they put a right click to shove this in your backpack option, I don't care what setting they go with.

20. Dashiva

Dashiva Avatar

I don't favor lists. I'm not exactly sure how in-depth player interaction is here. However, there were a lot of subtle gameplay elements related to your bag. You could magic-trap bags, so someone snooping would blow it. There was a slight transfer animation when people were dragging / dropping things around in your inventory, snooping. The good ones learned to look without dragging much.
    I usually hid my reagents 3-4 bags deep, and under some hides or single pieces of cloth to catch people before they got anything. It honestly added to the gameplay, and anything that takes away from gameplay, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with.

Zaldimar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.