Double xp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anticules, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Actually you are shooting yourself here now.

Deadly potion pots sell for 30 to NPCs, you just have to find the right one.

My examples are totally legit and true, try it for yourself once, atleast once please.

2. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

I just did :)

Crafting 20x Deadly poison takes around 2 1/2 minute, rounded up.
    -> 24 cycles of 20 crafts per hour.
    -> Each normal craft give 150xp
    -> 24 cycles of 20 = 480 Crafts * 150xp = 72000 xp/hour. With the chances of exceptional (I experience around 10% as GM Alch) , we can bump it up to 100k per hour, assuming you have ZERO Downtime in between crafts.

I get the same XP mining + More money from the ore

And this still has nothing that proove double XP is bad, im being more and more convinced that the other people are right, you are just attempting to troll.

3. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

My test:

60 Minutes (Alchemy 100, blessing, expert station)

21 cycles
    103 exceptionally
    17 fails

127.800 xp gained

That's 191.700 xp in 1.5 hours without x2 weekend
    That's 383.400 xp in 1.5 hours with x2 weekend

For some odd reason i was under the impression that it only took me 1.5 hours to gain 600.000 xp (with x2 weekend) while in fact it takes you atleast exact 2 hours to get to 511.200 xp for example (with x2 weekend).
    When it comes to XP, the example i have made above is indeed false!
    I have no idea why i completly messed up there with the xp or why i thought it only takes me 1.5 hours.

Deeply sorry for that.

I seriously need to apologize here.
    It was never my intention to troll here arround, i mean why should i? everyone can easily test it on his own, i even demanded that people test for themselfes.

You can sell the deadly potions pots for 30 gold at the alchemist in owl's head btw.

From my last crafting experience i was so sure i made 600k xp in 1.5 hours (with x2 weekend).

That's why i so heavinly defended my examples here...
    omg...

Still again sorry, not really sure what happened there with me today.
    Sorry again to absolutely everyone here!!!

CatherineRose and Arradin like this.
  4. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

I respect that, some people (myself included) are really stubborn :)

( still has nothing to do with double XP, so in leaving this thread now )

Jaesun and GrayFog like this.
  5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

So what's the problem here?
    As long as you can't buy the materials from NPC, make the item, and sell the product back to the NPC for profit, its working as intended.
    Potion prices were all streamlined a long time ago to ensure that "printing money" by standing at town isn't possible.

If you grow your own reagents, yes, you can turn a profit on it, but the profit is PENNIES - you're better off doing just about anything else. Especially consier the cost of real estate, seeds, water, and TIME to manage all of that. And the profit isn't in the potion making, its in the agriculture component.

If people want to spend gold, to buy things, to make XP, I have no issue with this. As long as it isn't making money buying things from npc, processing it, and selling it back to NPC - its fine. (Honestly, I'd have no problem with that either, but devs have been pretty clear they are against that. Fortunately, for deadly poison, this is not the case. If you buy ingredients from npc, make potion, and sell to optimal npc, you still make a net loss of 10 gold per combine.)

If the issue is that people are using their time to grind crafting XP ….whats the problem? People use their time to grind xp all the time. Its like the main thing to do in this game. We're finally FINALLY in a place where you can make crafting XP by ...actually spending time crafting! Lets not screw it up.

6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The "profit" you are seeing here is in the agriculture component, not the poison crafting component.
    Assuming you're spending the time (and land space) to grow it yourself, you're essentially in same position as selling the nightshade for 3 each - a full gold below vendor price.
    It is not possible to make profit on deadly poison without the agriculture component, it is a loss-making recipe, as are all recipes. This is by design.

True, you can get a decent amount of XP from this but you're limited by the amount of materials you have, same with crafting anything.
    Whereas a mining, you can get a pickaxe, and go forever. Xp-from-crafting is, necessarily, limited by raw materials quantity.
    Unless someone has a massive farming operation (that takes considerably more and more time to manage, potentially more tax cost, etc.), gathering is still quite lucrative as a means for XP generation as you're also getting far more money value for your time spent.

Sure, you can get an XP infusion for a couple of hours processing your poisons. And if you only play a couple of hours a day, that's probably optimum. But you can make that same xp, say, half as fast, with no material requirements at all by harvesting and generate considerably more income in the bargain.

Personally I have no problem with how people want to spend their time. If they want to manage a farm, fiddle around with running around to buy seeds, hauling water, setting alarms to not miss the watering increments, and then park at a table for 3 hours to process it and make 15k gold - that's their business. I can make far more than that in the same time mining with no up front costs, and while I wont necessarily make the same XP in that time allotment, I'll make a decent amount. And I can keep doing it for hours and hours, instead of being 'done' when the mats run out.

Elwyn, Elrond and GrayFog like this.
  7. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

@kaeshiva

there is no problem at all here anymore since my XP calculations were just completly false.

As for standing arround on the table or going mining etc. well i do both, while at work (home-office) it is easier to just click on the "craft" button.

As for "profit", i just tried to explain that you "could" stand arround on the table crafting deadly potions (ofc. with agriculture) without making any loss.
    It was never meant to be THE way for making profit. There are indeed better ways for that.
    I just simply wanted to show another/alternative way how to make good producer xp while being busy with other things in RL.

Ofc. you are limited by your ressources.

Ofc. i could just sell all the nightshade, but again, my point wasn't really about just making "profit".

Yes, without agriculture you couldn't make profit on deadly potion pots, i never questioned that.

Yes gathering is still lucrative for XP and much better for profit, i never questioned that.

Again, it was just an example, sadly with wrong XP values a couple of posts above.
    But 500k xp (x2 weekend) in 2 hours is still not bad at all imo.

8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Glad we've worked that out.
    It -is- good XP, there's no question of that. Home-office here too, so yes, I get most of my refining done and if there's no more "work" then we make some potions.

Its nice to have something that isn't just a straight loss - for your time. I don't make anything on potions - I can't be bothered with the farming aspect, I can't make the schedules, I refuse to repeatedly click a well, and even shopping for seeds tends to be onerous. Its not my thing.

This has actually spurred a whole community/town project - we have the farming folks, and we all help with the picking of the crops and divvy them up for processing. We've set a buy price that is still heavily weighted toward the farmers - they get their money - but the rest of us are able to get a bit of XP without going bankrupt or having to finance crafting 100% via adventuring.

I would think that this sort of community cooperation - players working together for mutual benefit, sharecropping, sharing the wealth, essentially creating a nightshade value of "3" by doing the processing/conversion which creates better profit, in turn, for the farmer, and keeps demand level even - is a wonderful example of what we should strive for. Its certainly better than "grow stuff, dump on vendor, kk time to go grind xp" isn't it? I think there should be more systems like this where profit is contingent on additional player effort. It also helps give 'jobs' to lower level crafters and lets them participate in something that isn't a complete waste of their time.

I had high hopes for brewing in this regard, but the price change has made that mostly a loss-making endeavour now, but I'm still hopeful that may change.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Elrond and GrayFog like this.
  9. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

@kaeshiva

totally understandable, it isn't for everyone, that's for sure.

But for some odd reason i like farming :p

Anyways, i still feel sorry to all thoose people here that were involved in this discussion.
    I even got hostile at some point here which was just totally unnecessary.

I totally agree with what you said about "dumping stuff on vendors".
    I definetly hope too that there will be more jobs ingame for the future.
    Who knows, maybe the upcoming fishing upgrade will open up new possibilities.

Didn't have a chance so far to try brewing, but i will do that at some point too, just to see how it works, even if it is mostly a loss-making atm.

kaeshiva likes this.
  10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Well that's kinda my point - people like different things, different playstyles should be equally viable - I think we're in agreement on that.
    My local farmer LOVES farming. Its his thing. Seriously. He only raised adventure level to get XP to pump into dash and heavy lifter - to make his farming more efficient. We crafted him a set of max-strength perennial coast farmer gear that he bangs around town in all day, watering his crops, picking crops, planting crops, fetching seeds, pulling water, etc. He's a farmer. Its his thing. Its cool. I think this is a great part of the game that should be more fleshed out. Killing stuff all the time should not be the end-all, do-all.

nonaware and GrayFog like this.
  11. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

And the discussion is now mute, Double XP all the time once R57 comes around tomorrow.

12. Kazar McKillin

Kazar McKillin Avatar

Double XP All the Time: After many months of Double XP promotions we have analyzed the data and we have made the decision to make this the new standard for experience point earning rate at all times!
    Thank you!

13. Moussaka

Moussaka Avatar

...and what happened with attenuation? Still 1 mio?

14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Perhaps the "odd reason" was the extra bonus for the first few times you craft something?

Anyhow, I still think that crafting XP needs to be adjusted to keep up with adventuring XP. I make an effort to gain crafting XP, and don't try much to gain adventuring XP, but my producer level is now 5 or 6 levels behind. (currently 92 vs 85). Of course it doesn't help that you often gain adventuring XP in the process of harvesting resources for crafting, simply because the nodes are usually surrounded by aggro.

Jaesun and GrayFog like this.
  15. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yeah I dont know... Maybe they could have made it 150% instead of 200%. The normal EXP gain was a bit too low. But doubling it was a bit too much.
    As with double exp I can still up 2 skills that are lvl70+ and still gain exp in my pool. With the normal (old) exp gain that was impossible to do. As I was having a hard time levelling 1 skill that is lvl70+.

Not too sure if I am very happy with making levelling too fast.

GrayFog likes this.
  16. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

We'll have to see @Feeyo, but I think it will impact low/medium level players mainly and then flatten out due to the exponential applied to exp points needed as you go up the levels. This may not be a bad thing for new player retention and for the mid level doldrums. Higher level (100+) players may hardly notice it, or notice it only slightly and I expect at some point Port will do a pass on the end game / high level stuff.

Jaesun, Sentinel2, Dhanas and 2 others like this.
  17. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Thanks, your explanation sounds pretty solid :)

GrayFog likes this.
  18. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

But then again, getting faster too high level also means we will need to have more high level content being added fast I guess.

Nib, Elwyn and GrayFog like this.
  19. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I still need a secret XP extractor in game that I can show people and take a few million xp without them knowing.

Oh @kaeshiva , I wanna show you something... hehe ;)

Elwyn likes this.
  20. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

These are my XPs! *brandishes stick* away!

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.