Player made dungeons vrs portalarium

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

As mentioned I have concerns too. As with most new content there is no feature event announcements. Such as with the Trials. There could have been factions that need to be selected or are selected for you and waypoints to take or flags and a bold screen announcement stating the Trials will start in a few minutes. We need events happening a few times a day. Player content will all be dead for those who don't want to do it and it will get old if incentives for it don't keep happening.

Even with the new fishing update there still needs to be dailies for it and occasional events with rewards such as catch the fish who swallowed the tax-free deed. Announcements should never be lost in our chat windows. Here is an advertisement for Everquest 2's dungeon maker system. They make is sound so cool but it was totally not. Everyone could have one and it was rare if anyone visited your dungeon. Let us learn from the mistakes of other games.

- Feature a dungeon perhaps as an event and plant awesome rewards in them to keep players moving around from dungeon to dungeon.

-Don't just add the system in and expect it to take off. Once built these dungeons will lay unused after a while.

-I know I am right about this having played games who have these systems. Lets fight for what will make ours better. IMO occasional events and unique features will be the first thing to get this, but more is needed.

- Perhaps it is not only a combat dungeon but also it could be an obstacle course, or a horse racing track, or a mystery with dead bodies piling up and the butler may or may not have done it.

-Please please lets ask for dungeon events, differences from other games for our dungeons, and lots of variety in what we can do with them.
    This is the only way this system will be viable and worth it. Otherwise we will all have empty dungeons. I would bet you I am right.

Cordelayne, Elrond and mass like this.
  2. Floors

Floors Avatar

Since they're nerfing UT so that nobody will be going to it, I would not worry about it.

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Thats crazy talk!!! Ut will still be the best and easiest xp in the game even after they balance it.

They last adjustment made no difrence and I expect the next one will be the same.

4. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, if that's true, then you can probably kiss your idea of people coming to your special dungeon goodbye.

UT has to change because otherwise that's all people are gonna do until every last stat is at 250 and every skill is level 200.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  5. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Maybe UT has to change because otherwise that's all <min-maxers> are gonna do until every last stat is at 250 and every skill is level 200.

Nelzie and Brass Knuckles like this.
  6. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

My hope is that we will be able to make a lot of interesting and various levels of dungeons. My belief is that just how a Frozen Pizza has the promise/look of a fresh pizza, the result will be mediocre. I hear things like you can do things to level up your dungeon and I get excited. I hear things like the XP will never be like the real/in game dungeons, and I cringe. I can sit here and gripe about how I disagree but the reality is that it is their game to do as as they please. I'll respect that and take the wait and see approach. And before anyone gripes, I've bought one of each dungeon type to play with as well. So I've put my money where my mouth is and earned the right say what think. :)

Witcheypoo and 2112Starman like this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im entering into these with my eyes open. I feel like I have been burned before by the dev's on claims on systems that would be awesome and came out completely bla. the best example I can give is sieges. the second is PoT ownership. Sieges were vastly simpler then I would have expected and an utter disappointment. My PoT (which I sold), I expected to fill to the brim with all the tens of thousands of players who were going to play this game. So when it comes to dungs Im being cautious because Im expecting them to be simple like sieges (and vastly under produced like many systems ended up simply due to this game not having players to help back it) and Im expecting that I would end up with no visitors like PoTs due to population.

Dont get me wrong, Im rooting for the system and Im still buying stuff to support this game, I just dont have high hopes, I really hope they surprise me....

I agree with others, the system will be based on their own rules so there is no reason why it should only give 75% of the rewards. Imagine if they did that in NeverWinterNights1.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Cordelayne and majoria70 like this.
  8. mass

mass Avatar

All good ideas to consider. An element of randomness might help in encouraging people to try each other's dungeons. Like once a week in each town 2 or 3 dungeons are selected to have some sort of increased payout in rewards to incentivize people to explore them.

Astirian likes this.
  9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

They need something to make them more interesting to pull in people, rare and expiring blue prints rare and expiring mobs is one was to do this.

If everything is a copy of what portal builds only watered down then imop this will fail.

Witcheypoo, mass and Aartemis like this.
  10. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I agree. Perhaps in order to tie everything together, the initial blueprints could come from the rooms in the "wilds", HOWEVER, whatever mechanism you need to level up these encounter rooms comes from the rooms themselves. Personally, I would love to see an upgrade system that perhaps was founded on shards. Maybe there are 4 or 5 different types and you need some of each to level the room. Stealing an idea from Animal Crossing with fruits, if a created encounter room only gives one type of shard, then you would be forced to visit other player made dungeons and rooms to find the shard types you need to level your encounter room (and not needlessly farm your own over and over).

Witcheypoo and Brass Knuckles like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

That won't be enough even if unique from portalariums dungeons we cannot even fathom how many dungeons there will be? It will be an obscene amount probably 1000's of them not just hundreds. Most dungeons will just be lost in the shuffle no matter how cool they are. This is a concern and I'm not being pessimistic about it but I'm trying to voice thoughts to help so our system will work and be an entertaining fun past time for this game free of the mistakes of other games. We will need dungeon master titles, rewards, events, marithons, who knows to encourage dungeon play. I know you mentioned what could bring players to a particular dungeon with unique features but with so many what will even let anyone know what dungeons to do or see. I am still seeing eq2 and I maybe visited 2 or 3 dungeons and then I went back to game content after I built mine. This is one thing that is weird 1000s of dungeons omg.

12. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Dear Portalarium... why don't you add on blueprints so I an create rooms like in Artifice with all the sex slaves...

Witcheypoo and yinki2 like this.
  13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

+1

14. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

You might like this one Maj, fishing and dungeoneering, together at last. I posted a bit about it before as the idea just occurred to me on the fly but if you could get a message in a bottle when fishing every now and then... and upon opening the bottle, the game engine basically picks a player-made dungeon flagged as 'complete' and then spawns a loot table just for you in that dungeon's "reward chest" which must be placed at the end. Upon completion of the dungeon, this reward chest is available. It spawns the loot table that was assigned to you when you opened the bottle! Bada-ding, bada-boom!

The logic could be: when I open the bottle, give me a neat little message and then pick a 'complete' dungeon from the database of dungeons where the dungeon points = (my hidden avatar lvl * secret factor + math) with a loot table/gold reward to match. Send me the co-ords or 'mark it on my map', sparkly me even.

Witcheypoo and majoria70 like this.
  15. Floors

Floors Avatar

I don't think there will be thousands of dungeons. I mean I think we only have a couple thousand players, and out of that only maybe less than 1000 are currently active (although this can change at any time, as players get sick of the game, take breaks, then come back when new features get announced via email). And out of that set only a very few will buy dungeon add ons.

I do think we'll have in the many hundreds tho, and I think it will be interesting to go explore to find them. I have long said that the game would be enhanced by giving combat/gathering reasons to go into the towns...... dungeons also works for that. Finally a reason to visit Shitsburgh down in Ardoris region for example....

Witcheypoo and Astirian like this.
  16. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

lol @ Shitsburgh!

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You might be surprised. I am not exactly sure of how they will implement it as a lot of it is still in the works but update to the game notices will go out and players just waiting for anything new and different to the game possibly will be encouraged enough to come for this. But really I'm not trying to argue with you just wanting to make this system good enough to be viable, have enticing reasoning to do them and satisfying rewards, and to not fail like most other games dungeon makers. We have to be smart about it. Have you played eq2? It is free to play and the dungeon maker was a failure.

Nelzie likes this.
  18. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I havnt seen any statements from devs saying youll be able to harvest (mine ) inside dungeons ...are there any dungeons on test server that offer this possibility ?

19. Floors

Floors Avatar

No, but we should be able to do those things. They always bring this concern up about "unbalanced" but then you have like UT where I'm literally watching tons of people level skills every weekend and you can take alts to AL 80 in a couple days there with a co-operating group.....

To quote starman from another thread:
    "But dont forget, I bring in 3 yellow bags and .5 blue an hour in the Rise and none in UT (maybe 5 yellow bags in the past 300 hours in UT). Also, probably 1 random atrifact every few hours in The Rise."

So what are we worried about :) You can get some silver ore in our own mine ? come on...

20. WindSilvermoon

WindSilvermoon Avatar

I think the problem lies in incentive, if there is no reason for me to do said thing in game, why do it. This is a very modern way of thinking but how today gamers think. You need to have an incentive for people to go into other peoples dungeons, however it needs to be balanced. The thing is it doesn't' have to be a huge reward, maybe allowing players something as simple as a craftable chalice that we can rename to something like Drake's Dungeon of Despair 2018, or whatever we want to call it. So people can collect them and devs don't have to do a lot of work. Maybe even a cool Indiana Jones type trap that we can put it on ;) but I think something simple and unique that players can collect would help entice players. It would also allow Dungeon Masters/Makers to be able to use them in like rewards so say Drake has 10 dungeons and maybe Minerva has 20 and Andernut has 100, keeping track of who has done them would be a nightmare, and no way of really knowing but if they have an item that is clearly renamed by them, it would also have to have a makers mark so that someone couldn't just make there own and rename it to the same , then Drake, Minerva, and Andernut could easily offer prizes for completing all their dungeons. Say Drake is broke so there is nothing for completing all of his, (but you still get a cool chalice with his dungeons name on it) and Minerva is offering 5 Rose Bushes and a COTA for anyone who completes 5 of her Dungeons, and then Andernut is offering a reward of a tax free row lot, to the first person to complete and bring him all 100 chalice's from his dungeons. It leaves the reward and incentive up to the individual Dungeon Masters/Makers, but also gives a tangible proof reward to a player that ran any dungeon regardless of if you know about the other rewards of if there are no rewards. It also keeps balance because it's just a chalice with a name on it, and not a COTA or gold. It also makes it easy if you change your dungeons, Ie Drake decides 5 months after his Dungeon of Despair to redo it now his chalice says Drake's Dungeon of Despair 2.0 2018, it makes the first dungeon chalice a rare cause it no longer exists and still gives players a chance to redo it and collect loot, etc. All with the devs doing no work or making anything unbalanced.
    Anyways I'm looking forward to the Dungeon system.

*** note all dungeons and suggestions by players used names were made up and not really being offferd
    *****A chalice could be reference to any item I just watched Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark. I just don't want to have to use bags to do this in mine and would like something else. LOL

majoria70 and Drake Aedus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.