I want to gank myself

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by smack, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

No, really!

If this game allows murder through player killing in PvP mode, and to some extent even rewards this behavior, why shouldn't a player be able to kill himself?

There may be any number of reasons for this, but even in a roleplaying sense it should be allowed. What if I don't want to be ganked by some dirty thieving griefers? Well, I'll just do it myself and possibly deny them the thrill of the kill, so to speak.

Or, perhaps as a political statement? Or, if demanded by a tyrannical lord to show my loyalty? Ok, so I've watched one too many kung fu movies...but I digress.

Whatever the reason may be, if the game allows the player killing of others and rewards them for that behavior, I would argue it should allow the player killing of oneself.

2. Owain

Owain Avatar

I would imagine that suicide in a game on Virtues would result in a major karma hit of some kind.

Asclepius, Tarsin, Maka and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Open PvP is about what other people want you to do, not what you want to do! Hadn't you figured that out! =P

Maka likes this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

For whatever reason this just doesn't sit well with me. From an RP standpoint, no one is just going to off themselves so willingly. Suicide shouldn't be an in-game solution to avoid getting ganks or whatever else.

ShrineSeeker and Ravenclaw like this.
  5. smack

smack Avatar

How many characters have we read about in books, plays, poems, or watched in tv shows, movies, etc, that decided to determine their own fate?

Why wouldn't that be roleplaying? This game is strongly built on virtues, and I trust that it would have something to "say" about murdering another player just as much as it does about determining your own ultimate fate, so to speak.

To be, or not to be, that is the question. I'm hoping this game allows each person to answer that question for themselves, instead of only allowing others to do so, more often than not against their own will.

6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Just put some fire on the ground and stand in it.

7. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I think the real issue is friendly fire. A mage should not be able to spam fireballs in the middle of your party. I think you should be able to kill yourself. Although it better have good range indicators. :)

rild, Maka and Time Lord like this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

How many characters in books, peoms, plays and TV shows come back every single time. This isn't determining your own fate. It's a cheap way for a player to avoid a 'less pleasant' scenario and that's exactly how it would be used.

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

Sure AOE spells should be able to kill yourself, I guess, by accident. I can't think of a better way to announce that you are an incompetent mage, but yeah, the game shouldn't prevent you from doing something stupid.

Maka and Time Lord like this.
  10. smack

smack Avatar

@Bowen: And so what if those characters came back? It's not up to anyone else to say how they should die.

This is about player choice, nothing more. Let players choose how they want to live -- and die -- in the game. I'm hoping the virtue system would take notice of these types of player choices, be it killing others, or killing yourself.

My gypsy question:
    Thou hast been taught to preserve all life as sacred. A man lies fatally stung by a venomous serpent. He pleads for a merciful death. Dost thou A) show Compassion and hand him a dagger, or B) heed thy Spiritual beliefs and refuse?

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I strongly dislike those 'gypsy' questions. They make too many assumptions. C: Hand the poor sod a cure potion. Compassionate AND 'spiritual'. Problem solved. :)

Death ought to be taken more seriously. If it's not harsh enough you're going to end up seeing people kill themselves over trivial things just because it's easier. Hmm I'm in PvP.. if they kill me they can loot me.. if I die by another means I keep my loot.. I guess I'll kill myself.

One possible and theoretical scenario.. but still possible since we don't know how all this stuff is going to be handled. Here's another one.

I want to get from point A to point B but there's a dragon in the way so I'm likely to die anyway. If I kill myself here I won't have to fight and get rezzed on the other side. If there's an instant respawn at a shrine close to your destination it gets even worse.. I don't want to walk all that way so I'll just kill myself and respawn at the shrine.. will save me 20 minutes!

If death doesn't have harsh enough consequences then that's the kind of thing a lot of players are going to do. If you're going to gank yourself on purpose you should lose ALL your xp and items on hand.

ShrineSeeker likes this.
  12. Arkticus

Arkticus Avatar

I think the question of perma-death would also be relevant to this, in that if you decide to end your days yourself, the end, start over. Personally I don't see a problem with the option existing but it should have heavy consequences, like Bowen said.

13. smack

smack Avatar

Death should indeed be taken more seriously, just as long as we take murdering another player seriously. It's funny that people are asking that death have more severe punishment than murdering another player.

There should be consequences to death, be it self inflicted or otherwise. I'm hoping the virtue system will take care of that. Just as I'm hoping there will also be just as severe yet balanced consequences to murder and that is also taken into account by the virtue system.

Nobody should get off without the consequences, be it the victim or the killer, and in this case, when both are one and the same.

To suggest that permadeath be a consequence for dying is laughable. I would propose to balance that out, permadeath if you're caught for being a murderer.

We definitely should explore this further once we find out more about death, resurrection, ghosts, corpse runs, etc., if any of that is in the game, how it will be handled, etc. And if there are consequences and people do travel via death/rez actions, why should anyone care? If players are willing to face the consequences of that action and take a hit to their karma, so be it. Just as why should any care if players go around murdering other people? If they want to do that and take a hit to their karma, so be it. Play the game as you see fit and face the consequences that comes with those actions.

Give me liberty, or give me death!

Final gypsy question:
    Thou hast just killed two people in the woods and looted their belongings. Their friends, unarmed miners, have just returned to camp with bags of rare gems and accost thee. With your sword in hand, dost thou: A) get on your knees and beg for forgiveness?

Jivalax Azon, Maka and Time Lord like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I want to gank myself too :) or at least the ability to do so by all combat modes of implementation :D
    I don't agree that there should be any karma hit, because it's a self decision and therefore a self judged thing because no one owns your body or your life but you ;)
    People that speak for any God, should have their heads examined for self inflated ego, because no one can speak for me, so how can anyone speak for God? o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Eriador, Jambo, Jivalax Azon and 3 others like this.
  15. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Sacrifice is a Virtue...

Time Lord, smack and Maka like this.
  16. Robby

Robby Avatar

I got a better idea:
    A spell that takes full mana, you cast it on yourself and its similar to corpse explosion but it blows up your body even when your alive. Everyone around you dies. =P

17. Robby

Robby Avatar

I got a better idea:
    A spell that takes full mana, you cast it on yourself and its similar to corpse explosion but it blows up your body even when your alive. Everyone around you dies. =P

18. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Hmm this makes me wonder. Would you eat yourself? I know I would.

19. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

In Asheron's Call people would macro self-harm spells and healing spells to raise both spell casting skills and magic defense skill.

20. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Bad idea, really bad idea.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

ShrineSeeker likes this.
  21. smack

smack Avatar

How funny....a dead thread about killing yourself is resurrected by a Time Lord. Signs and Portents....

And welcome back to the forums, CaptainJackSparrow!

Time Lord, rild and enderandrew like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.